5th Elephant pre-discussion question

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'm currently rereading 5th Elephant for the discussion starting on the 7th June. I haven't got my UK copy so I'm reading Sharlene's US paperback copy and I noticed something that I haven't noticed in the UK copy and was wondering if anyone could confirm this for me. :)

When we first meet Angua's parents and brother in the book, the Baroness first refers to her husband as "Guye" as in:
"Guye! You know what I said! It's after six! Change when you come in from the garden!"
[page 47 US paperback]

But later, on the same page she calls him "Ruston" as in:
"Ruston, I've told you about this a thousand times!"
[page 47]

On the next page she calls him "Ruston" again. o_O

According to the Discworld Companion, his name is 'Guye' - where did the Ruston name come from and is it in the UK version?

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
In the English (the Kirby cover paperback, at least), which I "imported" from UK, he is referred to as "Guye" on pages 68 and 69 and never Ruston.

Once again, America version stupdity.

J-I-B

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
I've only just finished reading the book and double checked for you. My English hardback refers to the Baron as Guye in both the quotes you provided. Could it be that it was changed due to some Americans refering to a collective group of persons as 'guys' and the publisher wanted to avoid confusion? ;) :laugh:

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
I know of many problems reading often translated versions of books, but I don't see why they have to make changes in the American version since it's always English! Why don't they leave it as it is?

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
CrysaniaMajere said:
I know of many problems reading often translated versions of books, but I don't see why they have to make changes in the American version since it's always English! Why don't they leave it as it is?
There is a partially true answer in that American English and British English ONLY APPEAR to be the same language. And since TPratchett writes in Br. Eng., sometimes things need to be changed by a wise editor so that it carries the same impact in the American version. Unfortunately, this is seldom the cause of the changes in the Harper Collins editions, though on occasion, Tony and I have found material in ARC's (Thud in particular) that we think are better than what appeared in both the British and American final editions.

The other problem is that HC has had a history of doing a very poor job of typesetting (never mind correcting obvious errors) in the manuscripts. They had their nose rubbed in it after Thud's appearance, and they seem to have gotten a bit better.

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter