A Doctor Who marathon...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
On another BBS, I have what I call a Doctor Who review blog going. Basically, because I have pretty much every Doctor Who DVD released in Australia up to February this year, I've decided to watch them all, in order, at a minimum of one per week. Many of them, I haven't watched before.

I am currently up to watching the Patrick Troughton story The Dominators. I only started this a week and a half ago. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I liked some of those Patrick Troughton episodes.

I watched an episode (not from the original Troughton series) called The Two Doctors with Colin Baker. Troughton was great in that one. :laugh:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Tonyblack said:
I liked some of those Patrick Troughton episodes.

I watched an episode (not from the original Troughton series) called The Two Doctors with Colin Baker. Troughton was great in that one. :laugh:
Troughton's greatest two stories (that I've watched so far) were The Tomb of the Cybermen and The Mind Robber. But the only fully surviving story between them, The Dominators, was mediocre. Still, it has perhaps one of the goriest special effects that they ever put into an episode of black and white Doctor Who. They did it by superimposing footage of oil rippling of water over a photo of an actress, but the effect is surprisingly gruesome. It's about 50 seconds into this fan-made trailer for the story. But as you can tell from the rest of the trailer, it's a bit silly.

Apr 29, 2009
London
Doctor Who: Planet Of The Spiders
Jon Pertwee, Elisabeth Sladen & Nicholas Courtney

Pre-order. Due for release on 18th April 2011

Jon's last outing, apparently.

I may have to indulge myself. Much as I love Doctor Who, I've never bought the DVDs.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Bouncy Castle said:
Doctor Who: Planet Of The Spiders
Jon Pertwee, Elisabeth Sladen & Nicholas Courtney

Pre-order. Due for release on 18th April 2011

Jon's last outing, apparently.

I may have to indulge myself. Much as I love Doctor Who, I've never bought the DVDs.
I'm currently up to The Curse of Peladon. And BTW, there is the second Revisitations set before that, at least in the UK.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Q - I don't know if you are aware of this. Some years ago BT (British Telecom) introduced a service where you could send a text message to a landline. They had software that would convert the text to speech and give it the voice of Tom Baker. They've still got the service but with a woman doing it now I think.

Anyhow, people had great fun getting Mad Tom to say all sorts of things on the phone to their friends. You can hear some of them online at Tom Baker Says. . . :laugh:

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
My 23yr old daughter watched an episode of Dr Who on Sunday Q.. you know how they are showing last season on ABC now in a lead up to the new series? Wellllllllllllllll... her b/f sat to watch it... and got SO into it he insisted they see the part two of that episode... :laugh:

One Dr Who marathon later............ and he is a convert.

His first ever viewing of Dr Who and he's addicted... he is going to see Tom Baker when he comes over (is it this month or next?) with her now.

NOW he "gets" the whole Dr Who thang. :laugh:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Tonyblack said:
Q - I don't know if you are aware of this. Some years ago BT (British Telecom) introduced a service where you could send a text message to a landline. They had software that would convert the text to speech and give it the voice of Tom Baker. They've still got the service but with a woman doing it now I think.

Anyhow, people had great fun getting Mad Tom to say all sorts of things on the phone to their friends. You can hear some of them online at Tom Baker Says. . . :laugh:
Ayiyiyiyi...But I do remember reading about that once... :)

deldaisy said:
My 23yr old daughter watched an episode of Dr Who on Sunday Q.. you know how they are showing last season on ABC now in a lead up to the new series? Wellllllllllllllll... her b/f sat to watch it... and got SO into it he insisted they see the part two of that episode... :laugh:

One Dr Who marathon later............ and he is a convert.

His first ever viewing of Dr Who and he's addicted... he is going to see Tom Baker when he comes over (is it this month or next?) with her now.

NOW he "gets" the whole Dr Who thang. :laugh:
Yeah, I know, but I have the last series on DVD.

Uh, you mean Colin Baker, don't you? He's the one coming to Brisbane, to my knowledge.

User Menu

Newsletter