Allo Allo Appreciation Thread

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Seeing as there are some people on this forum that are fans of the ageless comedy Allo Allo...

I thought we can have a thread for it... swap our favourite jokes, and scenes and characters ... and even put in some family friendly fanfic ...

Sooo...

Listen very carefully I shall say this only once .... Herr Otto Flick of the Gestapo has infiltrated this thread and we have to bamboozle him the only way we know how ... throw the radio out after the knobs flash of course... We must know the code book off by heart and have a backup code too - and when London calls ... Nighthawk had better be listening!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I thought it was an awful series. Typically for a British comedy series, they didn't know when to stop it and every week the episode were getting more and more alike.

But that's just my opinion. ;)

I grew up with this show - it has fond childhood memories for me so it is nostalgia more than anything - towards the end I admit it went a bit south but I still find it funny and remember it fondly and love it!

Its the same part of my childhood that includes Dr Who, Les Dawson doing Blankety Blank and Paul Daniels hosting Every Second Counts ...

Ah Weekend tv before Ant and Dec ...

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
good moning.

My dad introduced me to Allo Allo (as he did with Monty Python, Blackadder and to an extent Dr. Who) saying, "I've recorded something, have a look at it and tell me how you like it." I actually started off seeing the very first episode and I instantly fell in love with the characters. I thought the idea that accents were actually different languages was so brilliant and the fact that the French and the Germans understood each other, but No one understood the British just made me laugh. :laugh:

Well there is a huge difference ... That was a serious drama - Allo Allo is a PARODY .. Much different. Maybe I should rename this Allo Allo Appreciation Thread ...
I prefer this Seventies and eighties drama was a bit dry and dull ... their comedy much funnier ...

As I said happy memories are attached to Allo Allo for me! I was not even born during that other programme!

I like it you don't! We can't all like the same thing.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I began to go off it when Sam Kelly disappeared - I loved him. When it had the break (I think Renee had a really bad head injury from a car accident and it was off air for at least a year?) - anyway it seemed to lose the plot a bit after that.

I met the first Capt Bertorelli (the one who was in Eastenders) in real life when he came to a probate appointment - there were some errors in the application and I nearly went and said "whadda mistaka to maka!" - I chickened out though as it was to do with his mum's will so not a time for joking around :p

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
Like most British Comedys it lived to long....it got too repetitive.....but was good when released.

I enjoyed the earlier shows.

A bad example is Red Dwarf, very good for the first 6-7 series then totally lost it......... :(

Fawlty Towers go it right and ended on the second Series, although it could have go on a few more in my opinion.

Lots of good classic shows about for the younger people to catch up on, Dads Army springs to mind....... :laugh:

Jul 20, 2009
Lelystad, The Netherlands
When I grew up there was a televison network repeating only old shows like 'allo 'allo and Dad's army (Dad's army had a Dutch title as well it was Daar komen de schutters ;) ) I still like 'Allo 'allo ;) Have to agree that the first series were the best ;)

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
Cheery said:
I thought the idea that accents were actually different languages was so brilliant and the fact that the French and the Germans understood each other, but No one understood the British just made me laugh. :laugh:
is there anything on youtube about it? I'll have a look because you got me intrigued with the accent story.
Actually I know someone from here that talking in the Genoa dialect and a Genoa accent with a French guy obviously talking in French understood each other perfectly :laugh:

I was fed up with watching them on Youtube which was why I bought them on DVD ...

As I said I do agree that it went down hill - but it is still better than half the things on offer today...

I, for one, don't see what the appeal is with The Simpsons o_O yet they are extremely popular ...

I like this as it appeals to my Carry On style of humour. It's naughty but not too raunchy, there is no real swearing in it and it is something the family can watch ... (I was twelve when it ended!)

Though I loved the twist with Lieutenant Gruber!

User Menu

Newsletter