Alzheimer

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Dec 30, 2008
This is terrible news; not many writers are irreplacable, but Mr. Pratchett is certainly one of those. I realise this sounds a bit egoistic, but there you have it. I really came here to write some kind of fanletter, but now all the funny puns I had thought up, seems to have escaped me.

If you read this, Mr. Pratchett, please keep in mind that your unique work will stand for many generations, and much more important, will be read. Unlike, say, the works of 99% of all Nobel prize laureates or even Hans Christian Andersen, whose tales also are really written for adults, but are read only by people that gets paid to do so. And the comparison is not accidental either, which anyone that has taken the trouble of actually reading Andersen will realise.

Sorry if this sounds like an eulogy. I wish I could write something encouraging, but I'm not going to insult your courage or your intelligence.

Roger Duprat
Copenhagen

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
CallMeShirley said:
This is terrible news; not many writers are irreplacable, but Mr. Pratchett is certainly one of those. I realise this sounds a bit egoistic, but there you have it. I really came here to write some kind of fanletter, but now all the funny puns I had thought up, seems to have escaped me.

If you read this, Mr. Pratchett, please keep in mind that your unique work will stand for many generations, and much more important, will be read. Unlike, say, the works of 99% of all Nobel prize laureates or even Hans Christian Andersen, whose tales also are really written for adults, but are read only by people that gets paid to do so. And the comparison is not accidental either, which anyone that has taken the trouble of actually reading Andersen will realise.

Sorry if this sounds like an eulogy. I wish I could write something encouraging, but I'm not going to insult your courage or your intelligence.

Roger Duprat
Copenhagen
Well said Roger!

Terry's work is timeless in the same way that such writers as Jonathan Swift and Mark Twain are. His books will be 'enjoyed' for many, many generations to come.

Welcome to the site. I hope you'll continue to share your thoughts about Terry's writings.

cols

Lance-Corporal
Nov 5, 2008
ireland
:laugh: Welcome Roger :laugh: and here here. Terry's books are consistently brilliant and also accessable to such a varied range of people and I think that puts him in a league with a very short list of other writers.

ezyung

Feb 3, 2009
Alzheimer links of interest to Terry?

New to the forum, but long time Pratchett fan.

My dad died of cancer a year and a half ago, so I'm aware of the urge to reach for any straw of hope, and there's a lot of snake oil out there, but thought I'd post a couple of Alzheimer research links which may or may not be of interest to Terry. Still these are from BBC news so have a modicum of credibility.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7525115.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7866022.stm

Cheers for now
Ez

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome Ez! I wish I could say for sure that Terry would get those links, but we really don't know whether he visits this site or not. Let's hope so. :)

Feb 4, 2009
Doune, Perthshire
Message of support

Hi all,

Many years ago (1995ish) I sent a message to Terry asking him why he disnae come tae Scotland and he was gracious enough to respond and sure enough he did come up to Scotland and I had many books signed by him. (As an aside I also got Neil Gaimen to sign Good Omens that ISN'T signed by Pterry. Message read Burn this Book!) I hope I get a chance to go to a signing and get his response.

My father in law died from MRSA a couple of years ago and it saddens me that I never knew him before he was blighted by this illness. He had an excellent wit, however was not always able to show it. I could see glimmers but then they would go and this poor confused individual would appear. There are too many tragic deseases out there that demand research. It is deseases like this that demand the further research in to stem cell technology. This could be the key to helping with degenerative deseases. A way to help the body to heal.

Pterry's books have given me years of countless enjoyment. he has been gracious whenever I have met him at a signing a true gentleman. I want to pass on my heartfelt wishes in simple thanks for all the joy he has given me.

Cheers

Gordon

Tonedefdom

Feb 4, 2009
Bernard comments

I found it quite sad to see Terry's friend speaking about possibly helping terry end his life! The honesty of the whole program tonight on BBC2 was a fasanating a personal insight into this man's life. I sincerly hope that terry's climb on the ladder ahead will be as painless as possible, and that he enjoys the view from the top.

rissoles

Lance-Constable
Feb 4, 2009
www.raikothan.com
I am not a "fan" mainly because I find the word ridiculous.

I am an aficionado of the books by Terry, they have brought me many hours of enjoyment and have made me laugh, often when I really needed to.

Whilst British, I live near Moscow and saw the revelation regarding "it" on the BBC website and I have to say that I was shocked. I am currently in the UK and was able to watch the program this evening and would like to say that I thought that Terry came across incredibly well.

Much respect for the bravery and attitude.

Nil Carborundum Illigitemi

Tiamat

Feb 5, 2009
My team at work has, as part of our remit, to teach folks in care homes how to care for the people there with dementia, and how to understand the behaviour that seems odd to us, because we don't know the reasons behind it - like the lady who sings all the time because she hears the bells and thinks she is in a bomb shelter during the war in London...

I'd recommend anyone read any Tom Kitwood books if they are interested!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I can always remember a stay in a psychiatric hospital watching an elderly woman repeatedly trying to walk through a door that wasn't actually there.

The work that you are doing, educating carers is vital. One thing all this with Terry has done is to open a lot of people's eyes (and minds) to this awful condition.

Thanks for the info Tiamat. :)

Feb 6, 2009
widnes
terry pratchett

hii

my name is abi and i am a big fan of yor books, my favourite has to be the hogfather and i think that its great that you are speaking out to the world about this horrible disease that can effect anyone of any age even though it isnt the memory that is being the effected the most there is still other things aswell like your eyes wil go funnii u wont b able to see some lettas in a word or something like that.
but please for all of us please keeping writing your amazin books or do the best that you can :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Re: terry pratchett

discworldfanxx said:
hii

my name is abi and i am a big fan of yor books, my favourite has to be the hogfather and i think that its great that you are speaking out to the world about this horrible disease that can effect anyone of any age even though it isnt the memory that is being the effected the most there is still other things aswell like your eyes wil go funnii u wont b able to see some lettas in a word or something like that.
but please for all of us please keeping writing your amazin books or do the best that you can :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::
Welcome to the site Abi. :)

Writeangle

Oct 5, 2009
Alxheimers

There is an alzheimer's drug where patients taking it scored better than they did at the start of the study. I think it is a first to wind the clock backwards.
In a smaller group of patients who continued with the trial for a further six months there was an even greater seven-point gap between those on dimebon and those on placebo.
See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7511949.stm
In Apr 2009 Pfizer and Medivation initiated a phase III trial aiming for FDA approval. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimebolin
See http://www.medivation.com/product-pipeline/dimebon for more detials
Trials with people who are already taking Aricept (isn't Terry Pratchett?) are taking place in several countries including the UK see http://www.concertstudy.com/ and may be of interest to Terry if he is not already aware.

User Menu

Newsletter