An Interview With Paul Kidby.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Interesting.

The Thud! cover is outstanding. It truly captures the essence of the narrative.

The Unseen Academicals cover...well, maybe this is subjective, but it looks incredibly trite to me. Something a fourth-tier fanboy would do. I understand the concept behind it, the whole team photo thing that must have seemed awfully funny to the marketing team, but the finished result just seems so lifeless and....boring.

J-I-B

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I have to disagree with you there, what says football better than a team photo? And presumably Terry thought it was funny as well, since he has final approval.

Thanks for putting up the link Tony, very interesting :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Dotsie's right - the UU cover's impact is subtle and as it's evolved (with the aging treatment) artistically, it's a sophisticated statement about the story and it's translation to Discworld. To put a US slant to it, it's like an original amateur photograph of Babe Ruth taken making some crucial home run, from the perfect angle then slapped in someone's photo album and left in a garden shed for several years then discovered years later and put to auction for top dollar.

Paul's original artwork was too pristine and didn't work for that reason - the design team's aging of the 'paper' and making it look like an ancient sepiaed iconograph is the key element and that's what makes it brilliant.

The Thud cover is definitely the better of the two skill-wise but the symbology and 'rightness' of the UU one is the more cerebrally successful ;)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Hey, Manchester is as cheesy as the next town, thank you! :laugh:

I don't really mind the inconsistencies, it's not meant to be an accurate portrayal of the story anyway. I mean, a lot of the covers are like that.

User Menu

Newsletter