Animating Mort

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

ramtopsman

Lance-Corporal
Aug 19, 2010
manchester
www.youtube.com
Hi everyone i was going to bring this up at the Trry pratchett Convention in Birmingham on the weekend the 28th of august 2010 but i cant make it sadly

So im anouncing it on here

As some of the people of the forum know im the main uploader of terry pratchett based material on youtube (www.youtube.com/user/ramtopsman) recently i have been getting back to my animation roots again 5 years down the line.

So let me cut to the chase i am about to produce terry pratchetts MORT from the scripted play into a full length cartoon. I need your personal oppinions and sugestions on character design and how they should sound.

Within the next few months i will be meeting with people across manchester who will be helping with the voice talents. (if your from manchester and intrested please PM me i will get back to you as soon as possible.)

Please send your sugestions

Lots of thanks

Damian Hockey :laugh: - ramtopsman

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I know that Terry has been very generous with his support for such projects in the past - such as Troll Bridge and the German film of Lords and Ladies. :)

I'll certainly look forward to the finished piece. :laugh:

ramtopsman

Lance-Corporal
Aug 19, 2010
manchester
www.youtube.com
may take about a year to finish

do you have any personal prefference to any of the characters would sound like

death - deep booming voice

mort? (personally i always hear a yorkshire accent)

ysabell? (personally posh accent)

Albert? (personally grumbly man)

Just wondering what they sound like to everyone else

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
:laugh: After the first time I met Terry, I just hear his voice when I'm reading the books.

Mort is a country lad - so I guess a rural accent - maybe West Country. Ysabelle reminds me (not sure if this was intentional) of Estella from Dickens 'Great Expectations' - indeed there are some similarities in my opinion with Mort being Pip and Death being a sort of reverse version of Miss Havisham. So yes, a posh and patronising voice for Ysabelle I guess. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The physical descriptions of Lancre don't really fit with Lancashire in my opinion. There's nowhere even remotely as mountainous there. It's my belief that Lancre is a reference instead to the Pendle Witches from Lancashire.

Discworld is not Earth, even if it seems like it sometimes. Who knows how they talk there? I once saw a production of Wyrd Sisters with Nanny Ogg being played with a Welsh Valleys' accent. It worked really well. :)

KPDGaskell

Lance-Constable
Aug 11, 2010
Milton Keynes
I would love to help but I couldn't voice act to save my life and while I am skilled in using movie editing software (Windows movies maker, sony vegas, final cut ect.) I highly doubt you can't use those programs yourself ;)

May 5, 2010
go for it

Just had a look at your intro. Music fits in it great.

about voices and accents, as a Swiss guy, I am only of limited help.
Mort should be located in the south of U.K., I totally agree with that.

I'd love to have some characters in it with a Scottish accent.They bring in soo much colour in a conversation.

For me the Lancre Witches are more the Scottish kind of elderly women. Characters and the rought nature around it fits great for my imagination.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I love the music (although it seems oddly familiar). The Turtle and elephants were somwhat dark I thought. For people new to Discworld, this aspect should be made clear - that it's a world travelling through space on elephants and a turtle. :)

Also the rimflow could be a bit clearer. Currently it looks as if the sea just stops when it gets to the edge.

The Tower of Art looks very familiar - have you taken it from some other production, or is it your own design? o_O

Sorry to be nit-picking, but you did ask. :)

ramtopsman

Lance-Corporal
Aug 19, 2010
manchester
www.youtube.com
The music is coustom from a friend of mine

The darkness is a bit of issue with the Carrara 3D render program trying to resolve it

Im currently messing with some effects with the falls

And the tower of art is from terry pratchetts colour of magic lol couldnt be botherd spending 2 hours to make it in a 3D program lol

Thanks Tony =] its good people point out the issues rather than say yh everything was great

User Menu

Newsletter