Anne McCaffrey

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Todd McCaffrey is good, though not quite the same as Anne, I guess he'll get better the more he writes. Would I recommend his books, Yes, I would. I have read two of his now.
I have recently finished Dragonheart. I enjoyed reading it.
I liked most of Anne's books, but must admit The Dinosaur Planet ones, nor the Acorna series (though the first one was O.K.) were very good.
My favourites are the Pern series. Dragonflight, Dragonsinger, The White Dragon & Dragonquest are my all time favourites. But all couldn't be put down. :laugh:
I see what you mean about some being capable of being read by older children, Swreader. I don't think any of her books are the least like Sir Terry's though. Anne, to me, hasn't the same sense of fun, her books are more serious. In a way, her characters are more believable. This is just my opinion.
I did discover Anne McCaffrey many years ago now & have only in the last couple of years discovered Terry Pratchett.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'm curious as to what the McCaffery fans thought of the Dragonrider parody that Terry wrote in Colour of Magic. I'd already read the dragon books and remember finding the parody hysterical. :laugh:

Jan 2, 2009
I rather liked the parody on the dragons in Colour of Magic.

I'm an Anne fan too, started off with the Dragons, then found the Crystal Singer tales. Love the Petaybee stories.

Not keen on the Catteni tales, the Dinosaur Planet ones continued into The Planet Pirates series and not really my cuppa Klah.

The Acorna ones are beginning to slip, I feel. Loved the series that developed from The Ship Who Sang. Also love the series which started with To Ride Pegasus, and developed into the Tower stories.

My faves though are tha Doona/Rrala stories, only three, unfortunately, and a standalone title which I would have loved to see developed further, published in the States as The Lady, in the UK as The Carradine Touch. Not science-fiction at all, but rather a fairly modern horse story based around the founding of the Irish Horse Board, (Bord NaG Capall).

Unfortunately, I feel that as Anne has loosened the reins on Acorna to Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, the tales are slipping away from the original intent. I feel that the same happened with The Planet Pirates.

Just my particular feelings on these,

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Vena Ravenhaired said:
I rather liked the parody on the dragons in Colour of Magic.

I'm an Anne fan too, started off with the Dragons, then found the Crystal Singer tales. Love the Petaybee stories.

Not keen on the Catteni tales, the Dinosaur Planet ones continued into The Planet Pirates series and not really my cuppa Klah.

The Acorna ones are beginning to slip, I feel. Loved the series that developed from The Ship Who Sang. Also love the series which started with To Ride Pegasus, and developed into the Tower stories.

My faves though are tha Doona/Rrala stories, only three, unfortunately, and a standalone title which I would have loved to see developed further, published in the States as The Lady, in the UK as The Carradine Touch. Not science-fiction at all, but rather a fairly modern horse story based around the founding of the Irish Horse Board, (Bord NaG Capall).

Unfortunately, I feel that as Anne has loosened the reins on Acorna to Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, the tales are slipping away from the original intent. I feel that the same happened with The Planet Pirates.

Just my particular feelings on these,
I agree with you, Vena, on the passages I have highlighted bold.

I have The Carradine Touch & enjoyed reading it.

I loved the Tower series, I have all of those, I have most of the Acorna series as well.

Crystal Singer too.

Have you read Black Horses For The King? I did read it a long time ago, but can't remember what it was about now & I thought I had the book but can't find it.
There was another she wrote, which I also haven't read, called A Gift Of Dragons.

I did think the parody on the dragons very funny.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
There is a book of short stories by famous fantasy writers called 'Legends'. It features a story called 'The Sea and Little Fishes' by Terry, but it also features a story called 'Runner of Pern' by Anne McCaffrey.

Have any of you McCaffrey fans read it? I have the book and may be persuaded to make the story available... ;)

Jan 2, 2009
Yes, I've read 'Runner of Pern.' I believe it appears with other short Pern stories in 'A Gift of Dragons'. Also included is a short called 'Beyond Between', which explains what happens to Moreta as she goes between on Holth, instead of Orlith.

Cheers, Vena

I believe I have actually read every single book Ms. McCaffery has written, even the one set in Ireland about horses. She is a wonderful author who has mentored in many great new authors, and I learned a lot about women learning to stand up for themselves, and how oppressed we have been in the past.

Edit: I did Not read any of the Acorna series past the third one. I forgot about them. They lost me when her people turned out to be jerks.

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I have read & reread, most, if not all Anne McCaffrey's books also, Tina. I was hooked on her long before I discovered TP & Discworld. The Carradine Touch was the horse book. I wish she could have written more in that vein, but that was the only one.
Dragonflight was the first one I read. I have also read some of her son Todd's Pern books. His are good too.
I have the 'Legends' paperback, Tony.

User Menu

Newsletter