Any Christopher Moore fans here?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
In celebration of the release of Christopher Moore's latest comical vampire book, "Bite Me," I ask if anyone is a fan of this American comic writer who specializes in extremely off-kilter, occult-ridden and literary parodies?

He is probably best known for his San Francisco-based comic vampire series, starting with "Bloodsucking Fiends" and continuing with "You Suck" and now "Bite Me," all about Gen-Y blood suckers and the humans who love and kill them.

But I think his best book is "Lamb," his speculative 'biography' of Jesus as told by Christ's best friend "Biff." I'm not Christian, but even with all the jokes the story presents a far more appealing and touching portrait of Jesus than the New Testament does.

J-I-B

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I'm working my way through them, since Catch-Up (on here) recommended him. Mr Dotsie likes him too. Haven't got as far as lamb yet tho.

Chris likes him too I think.

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
Chris Moore is my favorite American Author, second favorite author after Terry.

All of his books are funny, even though they do have some base and bathroom/ freshman humor which adds to the intellectual aspect of his stories.

I do say that he is America's version of Terry, holds up a mirror to laugh and say look how stupid we all are. Lamb is he most well known book and well desevers the title as well, his second most popular (he said himself when i saw him in Boston for the Bite Me signing) is A Dirty Job. After that is does become a matter of personal taste.

A Dirty Job was written when his mother and his girlfriends mother (IIRC) were passing away and it helped him deal with the loss and also as a thank you to the Hospice Nurses that helped ease the pain for all.

He said that he tried to have the nurse sections on ADJ as real as possible for an homage to them for all the work that they do for both the dieing and the living.

So my first two fave are listed above. My third has to be Lust LIzard of Melencholy Cove. I laugh out loud all the time when I read that one escp. when Steve has his Chinese food towards the end! :laugh: Get's me laughing just thinking about it.

My fourth would be The Seguine Love Nun. Roberto- He no like the light! Poor Tucker!

What is also good about his books is how he reuses characters over again in different books that fit so well. Sometimes, he said, that as he is writting a book a character feels familiar to him and he realizes that it is one from a previous novel and he works it in. Classic point is Minty Fresh in ADJ. If you read his eailer books you will see the connection that Minty has from that one to ADJ.

ALso in Bite Me someone comes from Fluke into this one again almost seamlessly. He said that during the signing that the character that he was writting was kind of bugging him since the person seemed so familair to him and then the mental index card came up and it was tso-and-so from Fluke and he said all he had to do was change a couple of facts and it fit in so well.

He is a mad genius who looks at life though his own special fun house mirrored glass and I am happy for him.

For the rest of his books in my favorite order are:

The Stupidest Angel 2.0- A Christams Story (Pine Cove Book)

Pratical Demon Keeping (Pine Cove Book)

Fluke

Bloodsucking Fiends

Coyote Blue

Bite Me

Fool

You Suck

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I've just finished Lamb, and I have to agree I feel quite kindly disposed to JC now.

What's the difference between The Stupidest Angel and The Stupidest Angel 2.0? I noticed the angel in question was also in Lamb by the way, as was Catch the demon.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Dotsie said:
What's the difference between The Stupidest Angel and The Stupidest Angel 2.0? I noticed the angel in question was also in Lamb by the way, as was Catch the demon.
Basically the same book, but was 2.0 was published later and Moore added an extra chapter at the end. Personally, I found it to be one of his lesser books, because I guess I find the Pine Cove books to be rather limited--basically some kind of monster or horror wreaks havoc on a small town.

J-I-B

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
Dotsie said:
I've just finished Lamb, and I have to agree I feel quite kindly disposed to JC now.

See the thing with the cross over character heLOOK AT SEAGULL!!!!

;) :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I was expanding your earlier comment actually, not ignoring it in order to look at seagulls ;)

Undershaft

Lance-Constable
Jun 30, 2010
Moore?

I 've read Love Story Trilogy , Island of Sequined Love Nun , and A Dirty Job , which is my favourite one . Made me laugh for all the night I read it , and week after when I remembered some scenes ( like "serious murderer with ninja abilities")
:)

User Menu

Newsletter