Any Questions?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Jace said:
How come THUD! seems to be the least popular Watch book? I mean, it was the first Pratchett book I ever finished and I, personally, thought it was awesome. At the time I thought (and still do think) that it was a lot like reading a Batman comic book, the main character making all the right decisions and kicking all kinds of butt!

It's quite simply my favorite in the series, so how come it's not as well regarded?
I'd have to disagree with that. Personally, it's my second favorite Watch book (after The Fifth Elephant) and arguably Pterry's last masterpiece. I actually find myself liking Guards! Guards! the least of the Watch books, because the character of Sam VImes bears little resemblance to the complex character he eventually became.

Jon

Jan 12, 2014
Hello all.
Once again I've come to ask for your guidance.

Yesterday evening I finished reading Eric. I've been reading Discworld books in publishing order so far, so the next book should be Moving pictures. However, at this time I would prefer reading the next book, Reaper man. Is it ok or I would be missing something out?

Also, since it's christmas time, I thought about reading Hogfather. Well, the question is simlar as previous one, Is it ok or I would be missing something out?

Thanks and merry christmas to all. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Hi Jon. :) Moving Pictures is particularly memorable for introducing a whole bunch of characters that will become important in later books. It's also the start of a whole new period in Ankh-Morpork and the rest of Discworld. Yes, you can skip it - but be sure to get around to reading it. To me it's not the best of the books, but it is important.

Jon

Jan 12, 2014
Thanks for help.

Well, I've read about 10% of the Reaper Man, so I guess I could go back to Moving Pictures and then finish Reaper Man.

adnanamo

Lance-Constable
Jan 1, 2015
Iasi, Romania
Hello everybody. I read Terry's books and I've noticed that the stories of the City Watch are concerned with the crime-mysteries that imply social and heavy political sarcastic real world references. My teacher asked me to write a concrete example. Can anyone help me ?
pretty please ? I really cant think of any example right now (after writing 23 pages of research x.x)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
adnanamo said:
Hello everybody. I read Terry's books and I've noticed that the stories of the City Watch are concerned with the crime-mysteries that imply social and heavy political sarcastic real world references. My teacher asked me to write a concrete example. Can anyone help me ?
pretty please ? I really cant think of any example right now (after writing 23 pages of research x.x)

You might find these commentaries to Guards! Guards! useful. This guy is reading the book for the first time. He reads a section and then comments on what he sees Terry is saying. It can be very insightful. There is a good bit in Guards! Guards! about the manipulation of people to get them to do, say or think something that would normally go against their beliefs. This is very political in that respect. Good luck.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Tonyblack said:
The point of The Last Hero is that it's a picture book as well as a Discworld story. My guess would be that it's not available because of this.
The earlier picture book, Eric, has been released as a small text-only book. It would be possible to release TLH that way, but you'd lose some of the nuances.

logica35

Mar 4, 2015
Hiya,

Does anyone know why I can't find the book The Last Hero in the Kindle format. Amazon don't appear to do it unfortunately :eek:

Thanks v much

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
logica35 said:
Hiya,

Does anyone know why I can't find the book The Last Hero in the Kindle format. Amazon don't appear to do it unfortunately :eek:

Thanks v much
Hi there. The point of The Last Hero is that it's a picture book as well as a Discworld story. My guess would be that it's not available because of this.

MrsWizzard

Lance-Corporal
Aug 30, 2009
United States
So, I'm currently listening to Mark Reads doing The Light Fantastic, and knowing that Cohen comes back a couple of times later on, I'm wondering what ever happened to Bethan? I know they supposedly get married at the end of TLF, but she doesn't make an appearance again. I thought maybe it was part of the whole barbarian deal where he has several wives around the world, but he seems pretty set on her throughout the book.

I know it's all just speculation, but I'm wondering what everyone thinks about this. It's something I've often wondered while rereading Interesting Times and The Last Hero.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
There's a mention somewhere that suggests that Cohen has been married several times and lost his fortune several times. I suspect that he just couldn't settle down. :)

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Here's something that has just occurred to me - the pizza place in Ankh-Morpork! :laugh: This is Ron's Pizza Hovel, as mentioned in "Feet of Clay":

'A Klatchian Hots without anchovies,' said Vimes, lifting the cover. 'We got it from Ron's Pizza Hovel round the corner. The way I see it, no one can poison all the food in the city. And the cutlery's from my place.'

'You have the mind of a true policeman, Vimes.'

'Thank you, sir.'

'Really? Was it a compliment?' The Patrician prodded at the plate with the air of an explorer in a strange country.

‘Has someone already eaten this, Vimes?’

'No, sir. That's just how they chop up the food.'

'Oh, I see. I thought perhaps the food-tasters were getting over-enthusiastic,’ said the Patrician. ‘My word. What a treat I have to look forward to.’

Of course, Ron's Pizza Hovel would be a parody of
Pizza Hut
, seeing as the word 'Hovel' is simply a synonym for
'Hut'.
Why someone called Ron would own it is a bit of a puzzler. Maybe it's just because the name "Ron's Pizza Hovel" has a nice ring to it. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Ron seems to be a favourite name for Terry - Ron and various Ron sounding names. Off the top of my head: Foul Old Ron, Ronald Rust, Hrun the Barbarian, Ronald the Third, Ronald Saveloy, and Glossy Ron. As to Ron's Pizza Hovel - maybe that's a pun on Ronald McDonald.

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter