Anyon watching "Episodes"?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Do you folks "across the pond" get this new sitcom series (shown on Showtime in the U.S.)

It is quite possibly the worst show I've ever seen with British actors in it.

The whole premise is shopworn to bits. A British husband and wife who have created a hit comedy series in the U.K. about a public school are invited to adapt the show for the U.S. network.

Of course, the minute they arrive they are seduced and repelled by the LA lifestyle and the idiocy of the U.S. film and TV industry, which changes every aspect of the show, including casting Matt LeBlanc (Joey from friends) in the key role.

While it's supposed to be a "cultural clash" type of show demonstrating how American TV dumbs down just about everything (absolutely true), this is a such a cliched and been there done that topic that the show is stillborn from birth.

What makes it worse is that the English couple--played by Stephen Mangan and Tamsin Greig--are so amazingly and pathetically unfunny. Greig in particular may be the worst British import sent to the states since that ill-fated tea that was dumped overboard in Boston Harbor. Shrill, annoying, pathetically unfunny, and deserving not an ounce of empathy, watching her is like watching endless fingernails scratching a blackboard.

Mangan isn't much better. His pop-eyed "can't believe this" overacting gets old within minutes.

And the Americans are just as guilty. LeBlanc is goofing on his image as a stupid, vulgar buffoon, but it gets tiring after awhile. And all the toadying, stupid American industry people are little more than cardboard cutouts.

If you really want a more realistic and better conceived satire of the American TV industry, rent "The Comeback" with another "Friends" alum, Lisa Kudrow. Or "Curb Your Enthusiasm."

J-I-B

Apr 29, 2009
London
I saw on the BBC boards that one write-up said that it should be viewed as an entire series, and not just one or two episodes.

After the first one aired, Steven Moffat (head honcho of Doctor Who/Sherlock) said words to the effect of "that is painfully familiar".

The Americans wanted to remake Moffat's show Coupling, and what happens in Episodes is pretty much what happened to The Moff.

By the way, the actress is Tamsin Greig. The character is Beverly Lincoln! ;)

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Tamsin Greig was brilliant in Black Books but i saw the ads for this show it does look a bit dodgy to be honest.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
My mind is well and truelly blown now.
I was sure , like Bouncy that Beverly Lincoln was written in the first post but lo and behold I was completely wrong.
My faith in my own brain is completely gone now.
I feel completely inferior like pooh told me i was.
:devil: :devil: :devil:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Ah, that explains why I had to read the first post twice, thinking, "Who's this Lincoln person?" Silly me!

I watched the first episode but wasn't particularly impressed. I haven't seen ther second yet, but will to have a look at LeBlanc's role. The only character I like is the woman (head of comedy?) who always looks repulsed by something- she makes me laugh just by looking at her.

Saw the first episode last week, not seen ep, 2 yet, didn't like it as much I would've liked. I thought it had the promise to good. Will stick with it, I am a big fan of Tamsin Greig and Stephen Mangan, reunited again after Green Wing, one of my all time favourite TV shows, she was awesome also in Tamara Drewe this year, and he in Dirk Gently.

Apr 29, 2009
London
pip said:
I was sure , like Bouncy that Beverly Lincoln was written in the first post but lo and behold I was completely wrong.

If you look at the bottom of Raisin's opening post you'll see this:

Last edited by raisindot on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:55 pm; edited 3 times in total

;)

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Bouncy Castle said:
pip said:

;)
AHA!!!!!!!!!!! (That was the very first thing that came to mind when I read his rebuttal)

Actually I can't stand "Curb Your Enthusiasm" I tried SO hard to watch it and it is just bad. But then its like "Seinfeld" self indulgent.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Agree with Del on Curb your enthusiasm.

Tried several times and found nothing funny.
Seinfeld was just pure runnish too.
Sometimes the americans throw together some of the least funny sitcoms possible.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
pip said:
Agree with Del on Curb your enthusiasm.

Tried several times and found nothing funny.
Seinfeld was just pure runnish too.
Sometimes the americans throw together some of the least funny sitcoms possible.
Says the man from the place that produced Benny Hill, Carry On, Are You Being Served and all those other completely unfunny shows about old retirees...oh, wait, you get a pass 'cos you're from Ireland.

:laugh:

J-I-B

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Bouncy Castle said:
pip said:

;)
As Fred Colon might say, "If you examined the original message closely, Nobby, you'd notice the smiley face at the end of it which should have tipped you off that something was afoot."

J-I-B

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
deldaisy said:
Actually I can't stand "Curb Your Enthusiasm" I tried SO hard to watch it and it is just bad. But then its like "Seinfeld" self indulgent.
Oh.....now I may have to withdraw my membership in the Deldaisy fan club.

CYE (and Seinfeld) aren't easy for non-US audiences to appreciate, since their zeitgist really is late 90s American in nature. To be precise, the zeitgist is really late 90s American Jewish in nature. It's a very self-indulgent, neurotic, aggressive and confrontational style of humor that doesn't always travel well.

Being Jewish and American, I totally get it. And even non-Jewish Americans seemed to get Seinfeld. But CYE is much tougher to appreciate, since it combines the Jewish American style with thoroughly unlikeable Hollywood millionaire characters.

J-I-B

User Menu

Newsletter