Audible original production: Unseen Academicals

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

BobtheDrog

Lance-Corporal
Jan 11, 2010
Dublin
I checked through to see if I could find a thread about this an couldn't see one but apologies if it is out there. Has anyone else listened to this? It's terrible, truly, truly abysmally done. It bears very little resemblance to the book. Mostly seems like somebody read a brief synopsis and made up the rest. Very disappointing.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
No that's new to me. I'm assuming that it was a dramatised version? Funnily enough, I was listening to a podcast today, an interview with Terry regarding Unseen Academicals. He was talking, in part, about the amazing job that Stephen Briggs did in adapting the book for the stage. Sounds like Audible could have done a much better job.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I have this one read by Stephen Briggs, he has a different style for this just listened to the first chapter again and found something I missed in the book A Yogi Bear type phrase
but it's done with the usual Briggs'y class just a bit understated, maybe due to the style of the story and subject matter.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I've listened to Stephen Briggs read many of Terry's books. He never fails to do less than a superb job. :)

I haven't listened to anything from Audible, but if the "Unseen Academicals" one is as bad as you say, and if it's anything to go by, then I don't want to listen to Audible... :(

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
It's OK for what it is, which is essentially a radio play (that's never been on the radio). They are always much shorter than the original. I liked it because it was exactly the right length for me to drive to my mum & dads and back (4 and a half hours round trip). But when it had finished I did feel a bit disappointed about some of the things they missed out.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It's like listening to the abridged audiobooks - okay, but somehow unsatisfying (and with Tony Robinson's whiny voice trying to do the characters).

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm. The last time I listened to Tony Robinson reading Pterry's books, I think it was "Eric". It struck me that "Eric" was just the right length for Tony's voice: the book is short and doesn't have too many characters, so it doesn't challenge Tony too much.

Unfortunately, with many of the other books, Tony comes across as being out of his depth. :( Stephen, OTOH, doesn't. Neither does Nigel Planer, by the way (who does a fantastic job with books like TLF and CJ). :)

User Menu

Newsletter