Audiobooks

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Ezekiel000

Lance-Constable
Oct 7, 2008
The unabridged audio books need to be republished as at the moment you can only get them second hand from £50-300 which is insane. Although even the rrp was a bit to high I think.

Celia Imrie did the first 3 witches books and they are not good, where as Nigel Planer or Steven Briggs doing female voices is fine. But Celia Imrie doing male voices grates on my nerves.

Jason

Special Constable
Jul 10, 2008
Pontarddulais - Wales
discworldmonthly.co.uk
I would think that would be extremely unlikely. Normally (not always) the audio books are released at or around the same time as the novels. Nation for example is available from the US publisher HarperColins on unabridged audio read by Stephen Briggs - the last I heard (11th September) Stephen hadn't read it for ISIS in the UK.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I have several audio books of the Discworld series. Thgough I did buy the abridged, not knowing anything different. :( I like Tony Robinson. They are still good to listen to.
I have all the books as well, which I read over & over, most of them in hard back, as I am gradually changing them from the paperback editions.

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
Get the unabridged ones if you can, you are missing out on soooo much more. Better readers and characterisation (A part from celia imrie, sorry but Her style of reading is not my cup of tea) and full the books. 8)

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I am currently listening to The Wee Free Men, for the 2nd time. I do like Tony Robinson, I think he is very good at the different voices.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Some of his voices are so quiet I have to keep turning the volume up & then down again, which puts me off when I'm running!

I've just finished listening to Monstrous Regiment & I could barely hear Maledict(a) and Angua.

Which reminds me - how come Angua didn't have a huge problem like she did with Sally?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Thud! is the only unabridged Pratchett book that I have and it's really good. Stephen Briggs does an excellent job on the reading. There are bits that send a shiver down my spine every time I listen to it. :)

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Unfortunatey, mine is the abridged version by Tony Robinson, it was given to me as a present for Christmas last year. I guess the person couldn't afford the unabridged version, they left the price on it too. :laugh:

aichtay

Lance-Constable
Oct 30, 2008
Somewhere on the disc
Abridged vs un

I've got to argue again here, the abridged ones read by tony robinson are FAB, I have almost the entire collection (Still waiting on 3). His voice is brilliant, he does a different voice for each character and as for characterisation he is fab. Yes they cut out some of the book which means that when you re -read them you find new and exciting things which you either missed the first time you read it or subsequently forgot when listening to Tony.

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I'm not sure if I did a wrong thing or not, but I saw recently in a charity shop 10 audio cassette books of Discworld books, they were the unabridged versions.
I didn't buy them as the assistant couldn't guarantee they all worked, nor was the price reasonable, considering they were tapes not C.D's. They wouldn't reduce the price if I bought all either, so I passed.
Apart from the fact I didn't have enough money on me anyway, not for all 10, I did think at £3.50 each they were rather expensive. But I do wonder if I did the right thing though.......................

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I don't think £3.50 each is bad, but when you're buying all 10 it gets a bit expensive. I would have had to pass though as I no longer own anything to play tapes on :(

I've been listening to Going Postal lately, and I was just thinking that Tony Robinson wasn't so bad when he suddenly changed the voice of Mr Pump from something like a troll (slow & deep voice) to one of the Smash aliens (1970's robots that don't like peeling potatoes for all you young 'uns)

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I suppose if there had only been a couple of the cassette tape books, Dotsie, I would have bought them, no problem, but no way could I chose just two out of them all. I am still in two minds about not getting them though. :( :(
As the shop was in a town not close to me, we were just visiting at the time, I couldn't go back to see if they still have them, sadly. :(
I do still have a cassette player on my radio/C.D. player.

I haven't got Going Postal audio.

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Tony, that isn't the same as owning them at all :laugh: Guess I'll have to save for the CD's or get em as presents, ones I've not got that is.

MoRt

Dec 1, 2008
U.K WM
i remember my dad putting these stories on for me when i was alot younger

and since reading this topic i have been keeping my eye out for them
its always good to bring back old lost memories ( only the good 1s though :laugh: )

User Menu

Newsletter