BBC Radio comedy

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

janet

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2009
North East England
Radio 4 mostly, Dug.
BBC Radio Player is a great way of catching up and you can listen while you browse on the computer :laugh:
Funny thing ........ I listened to the radio adaptation of the Lord of the Rings when it was broadcast. That it was 1981 surprised me as i thought it was before that in the 70s. Just remembering it took me back to the kitchen in my little terraced house in Leicester and Sunday afternoons getting to grips with the chores. Radio is the perfect accompaniment to any housework. Especially cooking or ironing (not that I do the latter these days :eek: )
Hang on....that was off-topic........sorry.
So much brilliant comedy on BBC radio. Old Harry's Game, ISIHAC, Just a Minute is like a cosy pair of slippers and is still funny, The Now Show with Punt and Dennis is topical.
A musician friend (Duke Special) recently discovered Ivor Cutler and performed 'I worn my elbows to the bone' on tour last month. I'm sure Ivor appeared regularly on radio way back but can't recall when or where.
The radio comedy which reduced me to helplessness on a regular basis though was a series Michael Bentine did in the early 80s. Driving home late one night and having to stop the car 'cause I was crying with laughter. :laugh:

Jack Remillard

Lance-Corporal
Oct 27, 2009
It's great to have The Unbelievable Truth back for a new series. It's one of my two favourite deceit themed BBC comedy panel shows starring David Mitchell. :laugh:

Will Self needs to come back on it though. :laugh: He was really hilarious in a couple of episodes several years ago, but hasn't been back since.

And there needs to be another crossover with QI. :laugh:

Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
Quatermass said:
I have to confess, the only BBC radio comedy I have ever listened to was The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. :think:
Love it.

I also have The Goon Show records I've found in op shops that I listen to regularly.

I do like radio shows but I've not listened to very many. The Warhorses of Letters & Unbelievable Truth sound good.

The only Australian radio comedy I've listened to is Dad & Dave.

Jack Remillard

Lance-Corporal
Oct 27, 2009
Just caught up with the first three series of Cabin Pressure, having previously only seen the fourth. Really loved the S3 finale, with Douglas
saving the day
in a particularly 'Doctorish' way. :laugh:

Looking forward to 'Zurich', which I hope they'll get round to making. :laugh: A Christmas special to round things off, maybe? :)

Jack Remillard

Lance-Corporal
Oct 27, 2009
Jack Remillard said:
It's great to have The Unbelievable Truth back for a new series. It's one of my two favourite deceit themed BBC comedy panel shows starring David Mitchell. :laugh:

Will Self needs to come back on it though. :laugh: He was really hilarious in a couple of episodes several years ago, but hasn't been back since.
I'm listening to my recording of one of the Will Self episodes now, and agreeing with my earlier post. It reminds me a little of Peter Cook on Just A Minute. I also want Peter Cook back on Just A Minute! I realise that that's a slightly bigger ask... :laugh:

Jack Remillard

Lance-Corporal
Oct 27, 2009
I like it on I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue, when they make the 'that was my word' thing sound believable. :laugh: Earlier in this series, it sounded fake, but in episode 5 it worked. Utterly daft, but hilarious. :laugh:

Jack Remillard said:
Just caught up with the first three series of Cabin Pressure, having previously only seen the fourth. Really loved the S3 finale, with Douglas
saving the day
in a particularly 'Doctorish' way. :laugh:

Looking forward to 'Zurich', which I hope they'll get round to making. :laugh: A Christmas special to round things off, maybe? :)
I've just been introduced to it, brought tears to my eyes :laugh:

Jan 15, 2013
Thought I'd pop in a reccommend for John Finnemore's Souvenir Program, since its on air and on the iPlayer at the moment. It's a very good sketch show (John Finnemore created/writes/plays Arthur in Cabin Pressure).

Also I've been loving the David Sedaris monologues over on 4Extra. I was already a fan but am glad of the reminder of how funny he is.

User Menu

Newsletter