Ben Aaronovitch (Query for Mr Q)

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Question aimed at Q or anyone else who knows anything about him.
I had preordered a signed first edition book on London (London Under Peter Ackroyd) but the dealer screwed up and sent me a new book by Ben Aaronovitch , Moon Over Soho , first edition signed lined and dated.
Got on to them and they were highly apologetic and luckily still had a copy of the now sold out book which has now been sent to me.
As it was there screw up i've been allowed to keep the other one.
My question is is this guy any good. The book seems to be a crime/urban fantasy book about a cop whos a wizard.
It seems the author did a lot of DR Who fan fiction as well as the scripts for the recent Blake 7 radio programs . This all sounds like Q territory hence the question. I've a lot of books to get through and is this worthy of joining the pile :laugh:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
pip said:
Question aimed at Q or anyone else who knows anything about him.
I had preordered a signed first edition book on London (London Under Peter Ackroyd) but the dealer screwed up and sent me a new book by Ben Aaronovitch , Moon Over Soho , first edition signed lined and dated.
Got on to them and they were highly apologetic and luckily still had a copy of the now sold out book which has now been sent to me.
As it was there screw up i've been allowed to keep the other one.
My question is is this guy any good. The book seems to be a crime/urban fantasy book about a cop whos a wizard.
It seems the author did a lot of DR Who fan fiction as well as the scripts for the recent Blake 7 radio programs . This all sounds like Q territory hence the question. I've a lot of books to get through and is this worthy of joining the pile :laugh:
Hmmm...

Okay. Actually, Aaronovitch did a lot of official Doctor Who novels and even TV stories for the classic series. He novelised his own TV story Remembrance of the Daleks, which is considered to be one of the best novelisations in the series of all time, never mind the fact that the original TV story was pretty good. I recommend it. He also wrote (but didn't novelise) the TV story Battlefield.

He also wrote two and a half of the New Adventures spinoff stories, two of which I have read. Transit was pretty hardcore cyberpunk, filled with sex and violence (and was one of the first New Adventures that I read, go figure). Not sure whether I'd recommend it to you. But The Also People, which I read last year, was a pretty trippy take on Iain M Banks' the Culture, and I enjoyed it well enough. I haven't read his third New Adventure, So Vile A Sin, which he co-wrote with Aussie Kate Orman.

Ben Aaronovitch can be very good. But he can also be out-there and a little alienating to the casual reader, so treat with a little caution.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
pip said:
cool. Cheers for that. Blurb seems interesting but worse case its a really nice edition for the shelf :laugh:
You're welcome. Personally, if I had to recommend a book to ease you into his style, I would choose his novelisation of Remembrance of the Daleks. Very well done. :)

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
its all a bit funny because the book i ordered was £13 and the one i got was £25 and i was going to say nothing but by being honest i get both for £13. :laugh: its great :laugh:

Apr 29, 2009
London
Oddly enough, I've just discovered him.

I would suggest that you read them in order (I can lend you the first one, when I get it back from my friend, if you want) as it will make a lot more sense.

I enjoyed it. I thought it was very well written, and a bloody good laugh in places too.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
oddly enough they don't mention it as part of a series on the cover anywhere . Its only when i checked up i copped that its part of the rivers of london series .
The description on the iside cover is 'If Harry Potter grew up and became a cop this is what it would be like.' :laugh:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Bouncy Castle said:
Dammit. I've just discovered that The Dresden Files was made into a TV series (only 1 season, sadly) so I've just HAD to buy them.

:rolleyes: :laugh:
Don't you have a local library that stocks them? Try before you buy... :)

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Bouncy Castle said:
pip said:
you're a salespersons dream :laugh:
I know! :rolleyes:

Nah, Q. They were only £8.99 (free P&P). Mind you, the original price was £35, and that's for only 12 episodes.

:eek:
big price difference :eek: got the complete twin peaks for 20 euro down from 90 whicvh goes to show :rolleyes:

Apr 29, 2009
London
Doesn't it just?

I'm such a salesperson's dream that I rang the company that maintains our computers a few years ago, to order a toner for the printer.

By the time I'd put the phone down, I'd spent £400 of my own money buying a laptop and associated accessories.

:rolleyes: :oops:

Everytime I rang Judi after that, I started with the words "Don't sell me anything". :laugh:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Bouncy Castle said:
Doesn't it just?

I'm such a salesperson's dream that I rang the company that maintains our computers a few years ago, to order a toner for the printer.

By the time I'd put the phone down, I'd spent £400 of my own money buying a laptop and associated accessories.

:rolleyes: :oops:

Everytime I rang Judi after that, I started with the words "Don't sell me anything". :laugh:
Was it her Judi mind tricks :oops: :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter