Book Club. This month: Battle Royale

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jace

Constable
Sep 29, 2014
Starting a book club here on the forum. Basically I list a book, you read it, then talk about it here after you're done! I'll be listing one book on the fifth of every month. Spoilers will be allowed so be careful if you decide to come here before you finish.

This month: Battle Royale by Koushun Takami.

Jace

Constable
Sep 29, 2014
Re: Book Club

I'm still reading Battle Royale (finished the first 378 pages) but I like the societal messages within the book and the interesting stories behind each character before he or she dies.

I've actually seen the movie so I know how it ends but luckily WHAT happens isn't as interesting as HOW something happens. I actually don't like the movie version but I might give it another shot.

Feel free to also talk about the movie here if you wish.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008

You might want to start a new thread for each book you choose. That way you don't accidentally get spoilers for a different book you haven't read yet, and you can keep the discussions going.

I won't have time for Battle Royale, but I might come along for later ones. Are you listing three or just one? :think:

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA

Without meaning to sound mean or disrespectful, this doesn't sound like much of a book club, which is a quasi democratic group where different members of the club get to recommend a book that others are in the club then read and discuss.

What you seem to be doing is acting like a college professor assigning books to be read that reflect your particular interests. Not a particularly effective way to encourage participation. Maybe you should reconsider your approach and let someone else who has read the book you recommend recommend the next book and so on.

Jace

Constable
Sep 29, 2014

@ Dotsie: Sorry. Yes, just one book on the fifth of every month.

@ raisindot: Well, how about this: On the fifth of next month you choose a book for us to read and after that you can randomly select the next person to choose a book she/he wants us to check out. Hope that fixes things.

Also, will list what book the club will read in the topic title. Will change the title each month.

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
Jace said:
I'm still reading Battle Royale (finished the first 378 pages) but I like the societal messages within the book and the interesting stories behind each character before he or she dies.
I’m glad you’re enjoying it, Jace! Do tell us your final impressions. ;)

Talking of societal messages… I’ve just read “The Catcher in the Rye” (J.D. Salinger) and it has left me lots of things to reflect about. Have you read it, Jace?

And you, guys? I’m going to participate in a shared lecture in my Catalan literary forum and I would really like to know your opinion. What do you think it tries to transmit? It may seem a simple book of a teenager hating his world but I think the key factor in the end is love (what a shame it was related with various murderers XP).

Mx

User Menu

Newsletter