Book Events

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
Introduction
This Thread is about Book events signings and the like that you're going to or have been for example:

I accidentally brought a ticket for a talk/signing of Pan's Labyrinth: The Labyrinth Of The Faun.
An extension of the Pan's Labyrinth movie not a novelisation of the film its self
this was a bad case of me clicking before I looked as I didn't realise this till a few days after the fact
I saw Guillermo Del Toro's name and clicked whoops Guillermo Del Toro is not going to be at Brum
no Cornelia Funke who co-wrote this book is.
Cornelia Funke who is not one of my favorite authors but she did write The Inkheart Trilogy I enjoyed the film of that so that's a positive I think

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It's certainly something to watch out for. I hope the book is a good one and not just someone trying to cash into a known name. Who was the writer and what else have they written (if anything)? The whole co-author phenomenon is an odd one. We saw it with the Long Earth series. I think it was clear that the book was mostly Stephen Baxter, with only a small dose of Terry Pratchett. And, while I enjoyed the series, I probably wouldn't have bought them without Terry's name on the cover.

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
the most well-known stuff Cornelia has written was Inkheart which was made into a film of the same name
a huge wrist breaker* novel that has many many plot holes and is one of the few examples of the film being better although marginally so than the book
*I call any book that has about a 1000 pages plus wrist breakers

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Which is the wristbreaker? Pan's ...Faun? or Inkheart?
I liked the first Inkheart book, but I disliked the 2 sequels that made it into a trilogy.
Sometimes it's better to let a book just end.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I must admit I did not like the film, Pan's Labyrinth very much although it got good reviews.
It was a brutal film that wasn't a children's story, even though that might have seemed the idea. And I find myself getting angry with the girl when she touches the food. Who would do that and risk waking up that thing?

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
after much much thinking about this I've made the decision not to go
I have been overspending and I have no one to blame but me and some mild depression,
and I prefer to waste £3.00 by not going than £20+ by going and not enjoying the evening
as much as I should

So if anyone wants to go in my place drop me a pm and I'll send you the email with my ticket details

User Menu

Newsletter