Book ----> Film

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
I can't think of any would-have-been's either, but I think Twilight was a better movie than book (didn't make it a good movie though >.>)

I liked the movie of Fight Club more than I liked the book, though that could have been because the book doesn't have Helena Bonham Carter in it ;) and because I'd seen the movie first so there wasn't really any suspense.

I agree about Forest Gump, though I've only flicked through the book I don't think I'd like it as much as the movie.

I think the only other movies that I liked more than the book would be Cold Mountain, Trainspotting (read the book first) and Atonement.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I can think of a few.

"The Godfather" was much, much, better than Mario Puzo's potboiler novel.

"Jaws" the movie was ten times better than the book, even if it looks incredibly dated today.

"The Silence of the Lambs" I would also say is better than the book (it's better than all three of the Hannibal Lecter books put together).

"Gone with the Wind" is a much better movie than the horribly dated book upon which it was based.

J-I-B

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
The Princess Bride. Read the book, which had some slightly confusing chapters that were much better done in the film, as the Grandfather/Grandson scenes.

raisindot said:
"The Godfather" was much, much, better than Mario Puzo's potboiler novel.
Got to disagree here. I'm a huge Godfather fan, and I think they made a really good movie out of a really good book/story.

raisindot said:
"Gone with the Wind" is a much better movie than the horribly dated book upon which it was based.
And not to mention the sequels... :rolleyes: I didn't like it at all (neither the movie, nor the book)... a friend of mine admires Scarlett, but I think she's just a spoiled rich girl, who doesn't care about anyone but herself... She deserved to be left by the captain (although I don't understand how he could marry her...)

I'd put forward The Warriors as an example of a film adaptation that's far superior to the novel, by Sol Yurick, it's based on.

I've also got my wife talking over my shoulder and saying the same thing about The Wanderers, but I disagree with her on that one since I think the novel, by Richard Price, is far better.

EDIT TO GET BACK ON TOPIC:- Having just read the first entry properly, I'd say that everything James Patterson has written would fall into the category of "Would make a better film, than a book." I enjoyed the two Alex Cross films (Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider), but I find his books to be very bland and lacking in tension.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I've said it before and I'll say it again - the LOTR trilogy was much better as films :eek: Yeah, Jan'll get me, but I just found the books a bit dry with too many wierd bits, and an ending that I thought would never happen. The second book in particular was improved.

I'm not saying that the books were bad. I just wouldn't be tempted to read them again.

Willem

Sergeant
Jan 11, 2010
Weert, The Netherlands
I always warn people who want to read Lord of the Rings for the first time, after seeing the movie that the first book is pretty hard to get through. Slow start, endless talking at the Council of Elrond, loads of poetry interrupting the narrative flow, it could really put people off. Don't get me wrong, I like the books, I try to re-read them every once a while, but it can drag along a bit.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Dotsie said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again - the LOTR trilogy was much better as films Yeah, Jan'll get me, but I just found the books a bit dry with too many wierd bits, and an ending that I thought would never happen. The second book in particular was improved.

I'm not saying that the books were bad. I just wouldn't be tempted to read them again.
For general fans I'd agree that the films are better in terms of pace of storytelling. On a forum basis the films brought the punters in and made it fun to roleplay but the ones who stayed and gave the content spin and polish were the people who understood and appreciated the sheer depth of the books.

Tolkien's one of those people that you're really into or not at all and a lot of his appeal is far away from the martial aspects (which Tolkien was crap at writing - character development too in some respects). The 2 commercial books are only the very pinnacle of the iceberg (even less than the tip) of what Arda's all about and, in a similar manner (but not style naturally ;) ) to Terry, there's more than a simple story of Elves and Trolls and a big bad Dark Lord etc.

Where Tolks is cerebral and analytical, Terry's satirical and humane - neither of them do much in the way of authentic war action (as opposed to focusing heavily on specific acts of evil or violence) that's actually not important to either of them. Tolkien created a whole world that he literally mapped obsessively and approached in an academic manner. Even the linguistic aspects (which is mainly geared to Elves I admit) is only a quarter or less of the sheer detail and depth that he built into his world that's truly anal but totally fascinating to seriously addicted fantasy nuts.

Terry's far more accessible to a modern, intelligent audience and, with his books they largely make lousy films that don't really deliver the true tone and message of his work - they obviously keep the wisecracks but for me totally miss the root message. so are all form and no real substance, but I've only seen glimpses of the various TV films and animations and they just don't work for me. On the other hand Peter Jackson's LotR screenplay reeks of Tolkien and so does make the transition literally magical in places, except for certain liberties with the story to justify hiring Liv Tyler and the utter travesty of the ending for which Newline has to take the flak as it's absolutely a cop-out to give the US audience their feel-good hit :rolleyes:

No movie can ever really carry over the atmos and spirit of a well-written book - we see this with Twilight, I think although I've not seen any of the movies or read the books and probably never will. They're not good books so people are saying on here, but they can make good movies (if you're the right age and have the required teen hormone levels) that have initial fan impact by good casting and lots of gory-ish action, but will likely fade eventually because the glamour can only last for a certain about of time without good storytelling to back it up - it's just the latest step in the cult of the vampire/werewolf that isn't even original (Dracula for instance does have true romance and searing tragedy even though that too isn't a terribly well-written tome and the rest is just Hammer Horror tinsel). Twilight doesn't even have the more mature and in your face appeal of the Ann Rice books (Interview with the Vampire) or even the Blade series for instance - it doesn't really add anything to the genre, but it does have a lot of pretty faces and that of course gets it the attention of the Hollywood bankers.

In the end it's how a book can get into your soul without relying on visual impact and as we all probably know on this forum, visualising words and literary themes is beyond the ability of some people to imagine with any degree of fondness or appeal - they need the movie and not all movie-makers have the ability or heart to make something like the LotR trilogy that does manage to capture the true spirit of the books, even though they had to sell out in places. :laugh:

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Jan Van Quirm said:
No movie can ever really carry over the atmos and spirit of a well-written book - we see this with Twilight, I think although I've not seen any of the movies or read the books and probably never will.
Can I nominate this line as probably the best Jano has ever written? :laugh:

How can you say the movie didn't have the atmos of the book if you haven't seen the movie or read the book (and probably never will)? :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Because I've read small bits and seen some clips of Twilight book/film in 'what's coming next' as I have with Wyrd Sisters & Hogfather etc. The reviews of Twilight book or film that I've read from people whose taste I have respect for also indicate that it's not for me, so I'm not tempted to go near them in any way. The movies may well be better than the books which those people say is definitely not well-written - I don't care either way as they don't interest me.

OK - so I'm not a fan of that, but I am a fan of other genres and nothing really works in all respects, so I do think it's almost impossible to get a well-written book onto film/TV adequately. Twilight is not generally admired in adult circles for it's writing, but is for a good-looking Edward Cullen (see - I know the hero's name so I 'know' something of it :rolleyes: ) so I therefore made the comment as being my opinion. :p

LotR Trilogy I couldn't not see because I wanted to see if CGI made a difference (having seen the Ralph Bakshi animation which was awful despite having John Hurt in it). It was brilliant in places and mostly good overall, but the films were not better than the books for me though I can see why a lot of people found them better than the books because those are an acquired taste. :laugh:

The bit that came immediately after the alleged hilarious remark and put it into full context that some people conveniently omit so they can get a cheap laugh... said:
They're not good books so people are saying on here, but they can make good movies (if you're the right age and have the required teen hormone levels) that have initial fan impact by good casting and lots of gory-ish action, but will likely fade eventually because the glamour can only last for a certain about of time without good storytelling to back it up
That any better? :rolleyes: ;)

User Menu

Newsletter