SPOILERS Carpe Jugulum Discussion *spoilers*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Since the water went back up, drop by drop as it had fallen, I at first assumed that Granny used a time-reversal spell. If she had just used magic to remove it, it would have been gone all at once. But it seems odd that she would have used magic at all, given that Granny prefers to use ordinary methods even for much harder work than cleaning up a spill.
So maybe it wasn't that Granny used magic. Maybe it was that the cottage itself has a degree of magic that is somehow charged up by being the residence of a witch, and when the witch is gone, the cottage runs down, like the clock. [Or, in a different story, like the staff of a wizard, which is a reservoir for magic that the wizard can use but must recharge.] When a witch returns, the cottage begins to regain its magical protection, or is charged, and the damage is reversed.
Maybe Granny wasn't using a specific spell, but she has an ability to make natural phenomena act in ways independent of the way it usually does--almost respecting her power without her needing to actually use it. In descriptions of her garden, for example, the flora and fauna are sometimes described as moving to their own will, even if there's no breeze. Wild animals keep a wide berth of her land and garden. And her house doesn't necessarily always protect her from invasion. [SPOILER!!!!!!!!] In one of the Tiffany books Granny grudgingly approves of the cat You's mice catching abilities. So, Granny isn't necessarily able to keep them out of the house on their own (or doesn't want to use Borrowing to do it).

Apr 10, 2021
Cheers for that, Rasindot. yep it was that 'natural phenomena' you mentioned that created that inkling about how the leaked rain wateron GW's table goes back up to the ceiling. Good point

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
I always assumed that the reason the plans in Granny's garden moved by themselves was that they were magical plants anyway and that's why she grew them. Also that wild animals avoided the garden because those plants were predatory, and avoided the cottage because Granny is a witch. Though she had no trouble finding animals to Borrow.
Maybe the cottage itself allowed mice in so that You could catch them.

Ponderstibbons

Lance-Constable
Sep 5, 2023
Fife
Just finished this one. Wonderful!! Chock full of great quotes as expected. Two which I particularly enjoyed: Mightily Oats longing for " the clouds to part for the space of ten seconds and a voice to cry out MIGHTILY PRAISEWORTHY ARE YE WHO EXALTETH OM OATS! IT'S ALL COMPLETELY TRUE! INCIDENTALLY THAT WAS A VERY THOUGHTFUL PAPER YOU WROTE ON THE CRISIS OF RELIGION IN A PLURALIST SOCIETY! " Also Granny Weatherwax commenting on faith " don't chase faith, cos you'll never catch it.....but perhaps you can live faithfully"

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Along with Small Gods and the end of Feet of Clay, CJ offers Pterry's most penetrating insights on the nature of faith and religion (not the same thing). It also contains perhaps the best definition of sin, spoken by Granny: "And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things." This is a much better version of the Golden Rule than the Golden Rule itself.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I also love the witches discussing the illogic behind the phoenix myth. "One of anything's no bloody use." Thank you, Nanny Ogg ;)

But I'm wondering. What's the difference between a phoenix and a firebird? *curious*
One is perpetual, the other has feathers of shimmering flame in flight. One Greek mythology, the other Russian (it was always in a hurry). IRL any little dickie bird with scarlet or bright orange feathers.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Thanks, Dug - I just looked it up.

It's still a little unclear. A phoenix (according to the myth) lives for 500 years, then perishes in its own flames, and out of its egg pops a new phoenix. A firebird flies in flame, and is also supposed to be immortal.

So ... they're both immortal and fiery. *shrug* The only difference seems to be that a phoenix isn't always on fire. ;) Also, the firebird isn't just a Russian myth, but is also common across the Slavic world.

Can't someone write a new variant on this myth? How about a frostbird, one that's always covered in little icicles? Or a lightningbird, i.e. one that's always covered in little sparks of electricity? =P

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Thanks, Dug - I just looked it up.

It's still a little unclear. A phoenix (according to the myth) lives for 500 years, then perishes in its own flames, and out of its egg pops a new phoenix. A firebird flies in flame, and is also supposed to be immortal.

So ... they're both immortal and fiery. *shrug* The only difference seems to be that a phoenix isn't always on fire. ;) Also, the firebird isn't just a Russian myth, but is also common across the Slavic world.

Can't someone write a new variant on this myth? How about a frostbird, one that's always covered in little icicles? Or a lightningbird, i.e. one that's always covered in little sparks of electricity? =P
I did not want to make the post too long by adding on the various Slavic etc myths, so chose to omit them.

User Menu

Newsletter