Carrot and Angua

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Carrot and Angua - what's going on there?

Carrot, we are told, is a highly moral character. Apparently everyone likes him and he'll go out of his way to make sure people receive justice and the full protection of the law.

So why aren't they married yet?

Maybe it's that Angua won't commit to him and therefore won't marry him, or maybe they don't see it as important. But it seems a little out of character to me that Carrot wouldn't want to make the commitment of a legal betrothal.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Will they ever get married? o_O

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
He's big, tall and strong. Everyone respects him. He's a captain. He's good at his job.

I am of course referring to John Terry. :laugh:

However if Carrot is anything like John Terry, he doesn't want to get married coz he's sh*gging all his fellow officer's wives. :laugh:

"The reason John Terry scores so often is that at set pieces he's always lurking there hoping to take advantage of his team-mates' misses."

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Upbringing I would think (with Carrot being an official dwarf).

I think it's Angua who's the one with the 'problem' - she never really seems comfortable with her wolf form, in fact she appears to be ashamed of being a werewolf most of the time in some ways. With her family being the way they are too, I think she's afraid of what will happen if she settles down and has a family with someone - anyone, not just Carrot.

On his side I don't think that's so much of a issue, but being a dwarf on the inside they're hardly the most spontaneous or passionate people (I'm talking intellectually and romantically here ;) ) unless it's trolls and even there they can get on with them if they put their minds to it. :laugh: In their mountains they do seem very staid and conventional, so from that PoV, with Carrot having the mindset if not the body, he's the sort who doesn't like to rush matters of this nature and needs a long courtship as it were. So he doesn't expect to be married too quickly anyway and of the two he's least worried about 'marrying out' of their culture, so perhaps he's just waiting for Angua to decide.

Ironically I think her wolf personality is more than ready to commit - he is her alpha male and it's definitely her canine/cop loyalty that keeps her with him. Her human side seems to resent this a lot at times however, and that's where the source of the problem is. I'm wondering how Sally might perhaps tip the scales in the end for Angua, if she thinks Carrot's going to be tempted in that direction ;)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I'm sure I've read somewhere that Angua was trying not to over-commit. I dunno. I've never felt that she was all that keen anyway, when Lady Sybil was after a man there was no doubt :laugh:

Yes, John Terry is a philandering footballer, and also a bit of a fraudster (he was going to give the money to charity, honest).

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
The John Terry story as I know it. (you couldn't make anything as good as this up if you tried!) :laugh:

John Terry is one of the highest paid footballers in England. He is captain of Chelsea and captain of England. He is married and has young twins. Last year he was voted father of the year by Daddy's sauce.

Wayne Bridge used to play for Chelsea but now plays for Man City. His ex-partner with whom he has a 3 year-old child, is a French underwear model. He also was probably going to the World Cup for England.

John Terry has not only been sh*gging Wayne Bridges' partner, but got her pregnant and arranged for an abortion.

Wayne Bridges says he will never play for England again as long as JT is there.

The England manager is Italian and a staunch Catholic so isn't going to be too chuffed.

JT's wife has now taken the twins to Dubai (as you do o_O ).

On Saturday JT scored the winner against Burnley and managed to create a record by having stories about him "scoring" on both the front and back pages of the Tabloid press.

And who says football isn't fun?

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Dotsie said:
I'm sure I've read somewhere that Angua was trying not to over-commit. I dunno. I've never felt that she was all that keen anyway, when Lady Sybil was after a man there was no doubt :laugh:
It was in Feet of Clay yes and I think that's the one where Cheery arrives in A-M wasn't it? Angua and her weren't getting on at first until Cheery owns up about wanting to be a girly dwarf and then Angua starts giving her old dresses she doesn't want 'because I'm not going to be here much longer' kind of thing. The undercurrent to that was that human Angua was going through all the reasons why she couldn't stay with Carrot the topmost of which was because he didn't care about her enough and didn't need her because he was so popular and well-liked. However the wolf part of her wouldn't let her go, because he was her pack leader and she wants to be his mate. So nature over nurture and the animal instinct's won for now, which is partly why she gets so frustrated with turning wolf, even though she depends on that for her 'edge' in crime-fighting

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
I never got the feeling that there was any morality standard attached to marrying before being intimate in the Discworld books. Marriage just seems to be there for those who want it.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
kakaze said:
I never got the feeling that there was any morality standard attached to marrying before being intimate in the Discworld books. Marriage just seems to be there for those who want it.
I somehow got the impression from Nanny Ogg that girls often were chaste (and frequently caught) before marriage. It didn't seem to be considered a problem, or at least not made an issue of in the books. I have no idea whether this is just a rural attitude local to the Ramtops or whether it is wider spread. The Discworld inhabitants (to me at least) certainly seem to take a more practical view of moral issues than we do.

Zephyr

Lance-Corporal
Aug 29, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There are a few references as well about the "royal succession". Angua and Carrot marry and then for whatever reason Carrot assumes the throne (I hope not, I love Vetinari and the concept of a Tyranny)...Angua is expected to produce an heir. Which is heir when the king fathers an entire litter of pups? (Obviously, the first born, but you get the point.) ;)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
They'd only be part-time pups though - :laugh:

The genes will get further diluted so some of the children might even be incapable of transmogrifying into wolves, although there could be a full time wolf if the lycanthrope gene is a strong recessive... ;)

Wasn't Angua's other brother a f/t sheepdog somewhere? :twisted:

User Menu

Newsletter