Chat CGT writes Discworld fanfiction

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I asked Chat GPT to write a thousand word Discworld short story in the style of Pterry featuring Sam Vimes and Granny Weatherwax. Here's what it came up with:

The sun hung low in the sky as Commander Sir Samuel Vimes, head of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch, strode through the bustling streets of the city. He had just finished a long day of dealing with the usual assortment of thieves, scoundrels, and miscreants, and was looking forward to a quiet evening at home with his wife, Lady Sybil.
As he turned a corner, Vimes nearly collided with a figure in a black cloak and a pointed hat. "Granny Weatherwax!" he exclaimed, recognizing the formidable witch from Lancre. "What brings you to Ankh-Morpork?"

Granny Weatherwax regarded him with her piercing blue eyes. "Trouble, Commander Vimes," she said in her no-nonsense tone. "There's something afoot in the city, and I aim to get to the bottom of it."

Vimes raised an eyebrow. "And you think the City Watch might be of assistance?"

Granny Weatherwax nodded. "You have a reputation for finding the truth, Vimes. And you're not afraid to step on a few toes to get there."

Vimes sighed. He knew Granny Weatherwax was right. The Watch had faced countless challenges over the years, but they had always managed to prevail, thanks in no small part to Vimes' determination and refusal to back down. "Very well, Granny," he said. "I'll help you in any way I can."

Together, Vimes and Granny Weatherwax set out to investigate the mysterious happenings in Ankh-Morpork. They spoke to street urchins, visited taverns, and questioned shopkeepers, but the answers eluded them. It seemed that the city was under some sort of enchantment, with people acting strangely and chaos reigning supreme.

As they walked through the city, Vimes couldn't help but notice the stark contrast between himself and Granny Weatherwax. He was a man of law and order, a believer in justice and the power of the law to keep people safe. Granny, on the other hand, was a force of nature, an enigmatic figure who operated outside the bounds of conventional authority.

But despite their differences, Vimes found himself admiring Granny's unwavering resolve and her ability to see through the smoke and mirrors of the magical world. She had a wisdom that came from years of experience and a deep understanding of human nature. And, he couldn't deny, there was a certain thrill in working alongside such a formidable woman.

Days turned into weeks as Vimes and Granny Weatherwax delved deeper into the heart of the mystery. They uncovered a secret cabal of wizards who were using their magic for nefarious purposes, manipulating the minds of the citizens of Ankh-Morpork for their own gain. The city was in danger of descending into chaos, and it was up to Vimes and Granny to put a stop to it.

With Granny's magical expertise and Vimes' dogged determination, they confronted the cabal in a dramatic showdown. Spells flew, and chaos reigned, but in the end, Vimes and Granny emerged victorious. The enchantment was broken, and the citizens of Ankh-Morpork were free once more.

As they stood amidst the wreckage, Vimes turned to Granny Weatherwax with a smile. "Well, Granny," he said, "it seems we make quite the team."

Granny Weatherwax grunted in response. "Don't let it go to your head, Vimes," she said. "I still don't hold much truck with the law."

Vimes chuckled. "No, I didn't think you would. But I have to admit, there's something to be said for your methods."

To me this shows both the capabilities and flaws of AI. While ChatGBT's data set certainly "knows" the DW and the character traits of Granny and Vimes, it has absolutely no ability to emulate Pterry's style, and the writing itself is amateurish, cliche ridden and humorless.

Thus, it is about as good as typical DW fanction. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Yes! The characters are there along with places, but it lacks any real depth. Very interesting though. One wonders what Terry would have made of it, and would Hex do a better job. :mrgreen:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Thank you, raisindot. :) I had been hearing rumours in the news about ChatGPT's capabilities and how wonderful it is, and how it could soon completely eliminate the need for authors etc.

It's good to see that these rumours of authors' demise have been greatly exaggerated. ;)

As for this DW 'story' ... I agree about the cliches, lack of humour, and amateurish writing. I'd also add that there is no conflict here, and conflict is what stories thrive on. Vimes immediately recognises Granny and immediately wants to help her. (Of course he does). :rolleyes:

One wonders what Terry would have made of it, and would Hex do a better job. :mrgreen:
If past DW books are any indication, I think Terry's reaction would be an eye-roll followed by "Deary deary me" and a comment about scalawags? :)

Hex would probably ask for more cheese.

This kind of AI seems to stand for Artificial Intestines (it's full of poot). :poop: Maybe CMOT Dibbler is involved? It's his nefarious plot to lower the standards to the point where his sausages would seem acceptable! :mrgreen:

User Menu

Newsletter