Christmas Specials...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Who here enjoys Christmas Specials? Well, I enjoyed the Christmas specials in my favourite TV series. Like...

Doctor Who: The Christmas Invasion, The Runaway Bride, Voyage of the Damned, The Next Doctor, and The End of Time.

The League of Gentlemen: Christmas Special (aka Yule Never Leave...)

Bottom: Holy

Would Hogfather count?

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
deldaisy said:
You know what I love more than Christmas specials????? The end of year programmes.... the year in review.... I love those.
I HOPE that you are joking. Those are little more than glorified clip shows that they do to save budgets at the end of the year.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
james.a.vivian said:
Quatermass those clipshows are used to save money for big budgets on other episodes, I don't mind them on a sci fi show anyway.
There's only two shows where I think that sort of thing worked. One of them was that Star Trek episode The Menagerie (and technically, that used footage from the unaired pilot) and that clip-show episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Quatermass said:
deldaisy said:
You know what I love more than Christmas specials????? The end of year programmes.... the year in review.... I love those.
I HOPE that you are joking. Those are little more than glorified clip shows that they do to save budgets at the end of the year.
Nooooooooooooooo! I mean the "Year in Review" NEWS! I have a chronological memory (I know you are saying everyone does) but what I mean is I remember MY year when I see what was happening during the year. Some news we tend to forget about and it was huge at the time. Some news feels like yesterday. And I always get that moment when they do they "who died" thing and I go "Noooooo! He/she died?"

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
bikkit said:
sorry to completly derail the thread but is Neon Genesis Evangelion any good?
Ummm...

Depends on your taste. If you like a show like, say, The Prisoner, you'll enjoy it, and if you like mecha anime, you'll enjoy it. But if you go into it expecting explanations a-plenty, you WILL be disappointed.

There is still much to recommend it given the character interaction, though. Every character has a story to tell...or major skeletons in the closet. I mean, the main character is a whiny teenage boy with major daddy issues, his fellow pilots are a near-emotionless girl with almost literally no life and another girl, this one with something to prove and a real bitchy attitude problem. Their immediate commanding officer and guardian is a drunken slob in her off-hours and has relationship issues, the main character's father is a ruthless SOB who doesn't give a flying one about his son's happiness or safety, and the titular Evangelions themselves are scary as all hell.

BTW, the above was not meant to turn people off Evangelion, but it's meant to let you know what you'd be letting yourself in for.

deldaisy said:
Nooooooooooooooo! I mean the "Year in Review" NEWS! I have a chronological memory (I know you are saying everyone does) but what I mean is I remember MY year when I see what was happening during the year. Some news we tend to forget about and it was huge at the time. Some news feels like yesterday. And I always get that moment when they do they "who died" thing and I go "Noooooo! He/she died?"
Even more boring, or else distressing.

james.a.vivian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 26, 2010
Sydney
It is pretty good you'll probably like it, i've been meaning to look at Evangelions. In Sydney we have a big Asian bookstore in the city, I've only just discovered the graphic novels. :oops:

User Menu

Newsletter