Chronicles of Kazam, series by Jasper fforde

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
I've been reading The Chronicles of Kazam series by Jasper fforde. The first book, The Last Dragonslayer, was a lot of fun. So was the second book, The Song of the Quarkbeast.
I feel that number three, The Eye of Zoltar, shows signs of his old problem. He loses control of his early tight plotting and begins to throw in things which seem random. Also, instead of either a conclusion or a continuation of an established form, The Eye of Zoltar seems to be the first book of a possible three or four more, or even an unending series. Now, I gave up on Thursday Next for just that reason. The first book was great, the second okay, the third got a bit dubious and then he went off the rails entirely. I'm afraid he's doing it again. But that's just my preference. If you're actively looking for a series, this one is fun.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Agree with you on Fforde. He just won't let himself finish a series and it ruins them. I enjoyed the first two in this series but the Eye of Zoltar made me want to throw the book at the wall, just like First Amongst Sequels did. And yet he writes a work of genius in Shades of Grey and fails to do the promised sequel. He did the same with Nursery Crime series, promising a sequel he wil nefer do. I used to be a fan but he has peed me off too much.

Jan 23, 2014
There's no sequel to Shades of Grey?! Bummer!

I loved Nursery Crimes as well but I'd already given up hope on that one.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
What pissed me off with him was that he nicked a passage from a Robert Rankin book and used it in one of his, I think it was Lost in a Good Book, I have the two nursery crime books and the Last Dragon Slayer none of which I have read yet.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Miranda. Shades of Grey was originally touted as a trilogy but now hes talking about doing a prequel with no view on any of tge sequels. I don't know what way he plans out his writing but its gotten silly. The odds of tge sequel ever happening are very slim

Jan 23, 2014
pip said:
Miranda. Shades of Grey was originally touted as a trilogy but now hes talking about doing a prequel with no view on any of tge sequels. I don't know what way he plans out his writing but its gotten silly. The odds of tge sequel ever happening are very slim

Hmmm.... I'm seriously thinking about not buying any more unless I'm sure I'm going to like the book.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
A post on Goodreads mentions
"Humans v Trolls" (Last Dragonslayer #4)
by Jasper Fforde

and calls it the working title for the fourth and last book in the Chronicles of Kazam series.

But his website called it "The Great Troll War" back when he said it might be published in 2015,
and said that it "will conclude the Jennifer Strange/Dragonslayer series."

Hope springs eternal.

User Menu

Newsletter