Colour of Magic Sky Movie

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

janet

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2009
North East England
Could Rob suggest anyone more appropriate to play Rincewind?
If you have the DVD version with Terry Pratchett's introduction, then it's clear that David Jason wanted to play Rincewind and who could deny such a consummate actor when he clearly did a more than adequate job in the role?
Constructive criticism is always welcome.
I was torn between the US and Somewhere in the Far East from a UK (point of view) as the equivalent of the Counterweight Continent. The US seems quite logical in the context of the movie, given that Twoflower is involved in In Sewer Ants. Therefore his dressing in a Hawaiian shirt and shorts would be appropriate as would be his accent. To portray him as a Japanese tourist may well have encountered (censorship) problems regarding racial stereotypes although I've encountered Japanese tourists in my working life in the most unlikely of settings..........
So the American tourist is fine by me!
Sam Vimes (who was most definitely not in The Colour of Magic or The Light Fantastic) I'll leave to the more street-wise to analyse but I'd want him on my side in an argument!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Rob was actually quoting nattheweirdo. Actually, it was kind of an odd first post to quote someone out of context and then make a comment about a character who wasn't even in the movie.

I'm hoping Rob will explain that. ;)

I thought DJ did a decent enough job as Rincewind. People seem to have an idea in their heads of what Rincewind should look like and DJ doesn't fit that idea for them. The physical descriptions in the books of Rinso leave a lot to the imagination and, although DJ doesn't look like Paul Kidby's Rincewind, he sort of fits what we do know of him - although maybe a few kilos heavier. :laugh:

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
I was also uncertain about the casting of David Jason as Rincewind but I was pleasantly surprised by the result. Bearing in mind that the movie was intended for a far wider audience than just us Discworld fans, David's involvement, as one of our best (and most popular) comedy actors, probably brought in a lot of people who would not normally have bothered watching! Maybe they even went on to became fans of DW afterwards?

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
B*gger me backwards! :eek:

I've just been to my local DVD shop to rent, of all things, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. While I was looking at the new rentals, what did my mince pies spy?

None other than a movie called Amazing World. :eek:

Which is in fact Colour of Magic!! :laugh:

David Brown

Lance-Corporal
Jul 4, 2011
West Sussex
janet said:
In terms of the average age of UU wizards he's a spring chicken :)
This is so, but on the other hand, the nearest we have had to a description if Rincewind's age is in The Colour of Magic, where he briefly becomes Dr Rjinswand, who is, we are told, 33 years of age.

Penfold said:
I was also uncertain about the casting of David Jason as Rincewind but I was pleasantly surprised by the result. Bearing in mind that the movie was intended for a far wider audience than just us Discworld fans, David's involvement, as one of our best (and most popular) comedy actors, probably brought in a lot of people who would not normally have bothered watching! Maybe they even went on to became fans of DW afterwards?
That is reminiscent of the Fox TV approach to the casting of the Master in the 1996 TV movie of Doctor Who. The question was not "who will be best in the part?" but "given that we have a British Doctor, who will be an acceptable American choice for the villain?"

A

Anonymous

David Brown said:
janet said:
In terms of the average age of UU wizards he's a spring chicken :)
This is so, but on the other hand, the nearest we have had to a description if Rincewind's age is in The Colour of Magic, where he briefly becomes Dr Rjinswand, who is, we are told, 33 years of age.
Which does make sense if we take that the compendium states the normal age to start is 15-16 up. And the book tells us Rinso failed to reach even the first grade in 16 years.
(To compare, Ponder was about 21 at his examination and Ridcully managed to reach the seventh grade at the spectacular age of 27)

User Menu

Newsletter