Confirmed date for new DW companion

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
I have 4, and I'll be getting this one... the last one doesn't cover the final 4 books in the series (at least).
(I've got: The Discworld Companion 1st edition hardcover, The Revised Discworld Companion (paperback), The New Discworld Companion, and Turtle Recall)

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm? *confused* I have The Discworld Companion (2nd edition paperback, published by Vista), The New Discworld Companion (paperback), and Turtle Recall (paperback). I don't think a hardback was released for either of the latter two.

What's the Revised Discworld Companion, Molokov? I tried googling it, but google always gives me the "New" version (with the Librarian reading a book on the cover). :)

What's the Revised Discworld Companion, Molokov? I tried googling it, but google always gives me the "New" version (with the Librarian reading a book on the cover). :)
It's the paperback printing of the first version of the Discworld Companion - but it had extra content added due to some new books being released between the hardcover of the companion and the paperback.

(Just like there's been two revised editions of The Folklore of Discworld with extra stuff added - I don't have those, by the way, only the original hardcover)

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Ah. Do you mean this one, by any chance? That's the one I have, but it only says "Updated" in a little ribbon down the bottom, not "New". So I didn't think of it. (On the spine, it says just "The Discworld Companion"). ;)

You're right about the "Folklore" books. I have the original hardcover, and that's enough for now.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
You're probably right - I used 'revised' when it's actually 'updated' :)

According to the publication list on Wikipedia : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Discworld_Companion

I'd have the ones dated 1994, 1997, 2002 and 2012 (although my "Turtle Recall" is a large-format paperback, not a hardcover)
And then you have these two.
Paperback only issued.
1623499370399.png
Then the expanded and revised edition hardback
1623500604594.png

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Don't think I have that one. *shrug* The reviews on Amazon seem very polarised - either five stars or one. So they're no help.

I'm confused. Is this book any good or not?
Depends on what you mean by good Rath, they are not stories or dictionaries but reviews /discussions of the style and writing and concepts.
both published by different publishers, the first one in 2000 by The Science Fiction Foundation in the UK.Which I bought at a UK Con.
The second one by a USA publisher Old Earth Books I bought at the 2004 World Con in Boston where Terry was a GOH. And that was the expanded and revised edition second edition of the Hugo nominee in 2001, which adds another three essays up to 2004. I would suggest you take a look inside the 2nd one on Amazon and draw your own conclusion.
I only found one bad review from this idiot who says he is a fan but could even not spell Pterry's name correctly and Terry was very much alive and kicking at the time of publication because I got my book signed by him.
1.0 out of 5 stars Unreadable
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 20 March 2021
Verified Purchase
I’m a huge Pritchett fan and was hoping for informed justification for my enthusiasm. Instead I just got unreadable, pretentious and often unintelligible essays. If Terry Pratchett were still alive and read this, he would surely weep. At least he could laugh all the way to the bank.
But there again maybe he was not inteligent enough to understand it and was dissapointed it was not a usual DW novel.
98% of the reviews gave it five stars, here is one of them.
I bought this book as a guiding star for my final BA Hons Dissertation. It has not failed me. Edited by Butler, one of the most widely written on Pratchett, and containing a wealth of essays, the book tackles subjects such as morality (with the very sharp Mendlesohn firmly guiding the text), Work and Identity in Discworld, The Witches and The Watch. I really recommend this book for anyone trying to write an essay or dissertation on Pratchett; this book has been invaluable to me in writing my dissertation.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
No problem, and I get it: asking if a book is "good" or not is impossible to answer. "Good" is subjective. :)

It sounds interesting, and I have copies of other books analysing Pterry's work (e.g. "Secrets of the Wee Free Men and Discworld" -- wasn't too sure what to make of that one). On the other hand, I liked both the "Folklore of Discworld" book and "Once More with Footnotes". :mrgreen:

I'm not too keen on academics taking apart one of my favourite authors, though. :( That's not what it's like, I'm guessing?

O

Old member 72224

I'm actually really excited for this Ultimate/Absolute edition of the companion. I had the original so it's very out of date now, so it'll be great to have the final version with absolutely everything in it. I also love the cover art for it.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Yes, the cover art is great. :)

Any idea what's going on in the cover art, actually? Obviously it's the Librarian in L-Space (nice touch with his temporary Watch badge! :)), but who is that person in the upper floor?

User Menu

Newsletter