Conn Iggledon

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Captain Turnip

Lance-Constable
Mar 5, 2009
Anyone read any of his books? He is famous for writing the "Emperor" series of books (Fiction based on the life of Julius Caesar and his friends), and the "Conqueror" series of books (similar style, about Temujin/Genghis Kahn and his conquests).
I loved the Emperor series, very good. All the books convered actualy events in history, such as "The Slave Revolt under Spartacus", "The Cataline Conspiricy", the "Civil Wars between Marius and Sulla, and between Caesar and Pompey" - excellent stuff

Anyone read them? :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I read the first one in the Emperor series and though it was ok. I was told to try Simon Scarrow instead and found his books much more interesting. Still, I've got a couple of Iggledon books around here in my 'to read' pile and I'll get around to reading them one day.

Too many books - too little time. :laugh:

Captain Turnip

Lance-Constable
Mar 5, 2009
Tonyblack said:
I read the first one in the Emperor series and though it was ok. I was told to try Simon Scarrow instead and found his books much more interesting. Still, I've got a couple of Iggledon books around here in my 'to read' pile and I'll get around to reading them one day.

Too many books - too little time. :laugh:
Simon Scarrow? Another fave author :laugh: - He did the "Eagle" series of books, during the Roman Invasion of Britain in 43AD - Like the Iggledon books, based on history, but fictionalised, and starred "Vespasian", future Emperor. I liked it too, still haven't read the eighth book in the series, "Centurion" - but I think the Iggledon books wre a bit more believable - the Scarrow books had a little too much modern day swearing in it, but still a good read.

Speaking of "Too much to read, too little time", I really need to get round to reading a series of books by "Colin Dexter", about the life of "Inspector Morse", which was given to me as a present, by a certain female member of this forum (you know who you are ;) ). And I promise I will, promise (hand on heart and everything :laugh: )

Anyway, Conn Iggledon and Simon Scarrow are good authors. I like their books because I love history :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
My problem with Igguldon comes from the Historical based site I admn - Hookton.com. We have a guy ther who is something of an expert on all things Roman (and lots of other things too) and he thinks the history in the Emperor series ranges from dodgy to down right wrong. :laugh:

Captain Turnip

Lance-Constable
Mar 5, 2009
Tonyblack said:
My problem with Igguldon comes from the Historical based site I admn - Hookton.com. We have a guy ther who is something of an expert on all things Roman (and lots of other things too) and he thinks the history in the Emperor series ranges from dodgy to down right wrong. :laugh:
At the end of each book, Conn Iggledon acknowledges that though his books are based on History, they are still fiction (there is a reason why fiction is called fiction - because it IS fiction ;) ). And Conn Iggledon acknowledges that to make his stories work, he changes facts around. At least he is aware of this, and makes it known. He has done his research I'm sure :)

Albert_Spangler

Lance-Constable
Feb 5, 2010
Unknown
I've not read any of the Emporer series, but I have read the Conqueror series and found it amazing. The books inspired me to go to China and Mongolia and try to learn more about Genghis. I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Jul 20, 2009
Lelystad, The Netherlands
I've read the first book in the Emperor series and pretty much hated it. The history in the book is completely wrong. He changed all the facts only the names are correct :devil: The civil war between Marius and Sulla was much more interesting then he describes it ;)

I am reading Wolf of the Plains slowly ... The Genghis Khan story - and I like his style!

In fiction it is hard to be historically accurate as sometimes facts can get in the way of a good story... I try and research my story and idea's I've had for years and had to turn them on their head due to research. Whilst I am trying to be realistic I also want to convey that this IS fiction - so I whilst I agree that stories set in the past should have some accuracy I also think that if you want the historical truth ... read FACT not fiction! And my research only goes so far as 70 or so years ... let alone thousands of years in the past ... So I'll have to defend Conn here.

theoldlibrarian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 30, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
I read Iggledon's "Bones Of The Hills" and thought it was a great book. I find Genghis a really interesting man and the book was well written. I also read centurion by Scarrow and didn't think much of it, but then I was never very interested in Roman History and I studied Classics!

Jul 20, 2009
Lelystad, The Netherlands
Lady Vetinari said:
I am reading Wolf of the Plains slowly ... The Genghis Khan story - and I like his style!

In fiction it is hard to be historically accurate as sometimes facts can get in the way of a good story... I try and research my story and idea's I've had for years and had to turn them on their head due to research. Whilst I am trying to be realistic I also want to convey that this IS fiction - so I whilst I agree that stories set in the past should have some accuracy I also think that if you want the historical truth ... read FACT not fiction! And my research only goes so far as 70 or so years ... let alone thousands of years in the past ... So I'll have to defend Conn here.
I agree that historical fiction doesn't need to be 100% accurate but it would be nice if it is at least a bit realistic. And Conn is 0% accurate ;) (well ok he had most of the names (not all though ;) ) right so let's say 1% :p )

I always have been interested in Roman history so I suppose that's why I can't stand Conn's totally wrong emperor series :twisted:

theoldlibrarian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 30, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Sjoerd3000 said:
Lady Vetinari said:

I agree that historical fiction doesn't need to be 100% accurate but it would be nice if it is at least a bit realistic. And Conn is 0% accurate ;) (well ok he had most of the names (not all though ;) ) right so let's say 1% :p )

I always have been interested in Roman history so I suppose that's why I can't stand Conn's totally wrong emperor series :twisted:
If you want historical accuracy you don't got to Iggledon but he does give a very good outline of the topics he covers. 1% is a very mean thing to say :x

We just all have our ideas...

I am scared of getting my book published ... until I know for sure, at least, that Himmler's daughter is dead - as I can see her suing me for 'misrepresentation of character ...'

As for historical accuracy on events that happened thousands of years before ... how do we know what is accurate ... and not? History is objective and most famously written by the winners.

Nowadays we can put a bit more neutrality into it and think about it more from individual perspectives and think - well ... what if?

For centuries people dumbly accepted Shakespeare's portrayal of Richard III. Until now! Now people are fighting to have his name cleared of the 'crimes' he had supposed to be committed. Remember the reason why Shakespeare made him out to be evil because he was writing for Elizabeth 1st ... and her grandfather won the battle of Bosworth - So ... again ... written by the winners.

Can we trust so-called historical accuracy? Me, I'll take my chances with fiction - it may be more true than you think!

User Menu

Newsletter