Conventions...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Well, just been to Supanova once more, this time on the Gold Coast. Got autographs from Alan Dean Foster and Janet Fielding. The former is a fairly well-known science fiction and fantasy author who has done many novelisations, and the latter is better known as Tegan Jovanka, the feisty Aussie stewardess from Doctor Who.

So, convention experiences? Who've you met, what loot did you get, what entertaining or embarassing anecdotes you have, etc? :|

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
In my life I've only been to two dubbing festivals, where I met a lot of my favourite dubbers.
I don't know if this counts though, since they are not famous, just dubbers. They count for me, since in both occasions I met my fav of all, and the second time he remembered about me :laugh: (they don't have a lot of fanatic fans, so I guess that wasn't soo difficult after all).
Really sorry I didn't go anymore after those two, but started working and couldn't anymore :(

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
A voice actor. Over in English-speaking countries, it'd be mostly for anime, but I'm guessing, seeing as CrysaniaMajere comes from Italy, that it's for films from overseas, dubbed into Italian.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I've been going to Cons for the last 30 odd years, started with Fantasycon ,Novacons, Eastercons and Discworldcon then progressed to European Cons and Worldcons, I've met many Authors and some Artists & Publishers some of whom I'm still in touch with, I get to at least three or four a year it's a good hobby and have made a few friends from Europe and the States we meet up at a couple of Cons, I would like to go to Comic com sometime but may have left it a little too late. :laugh:

Apr 29, 2009
London
The thought of going to a Con makes me feel ill, with all those people milling around, but somewhere deep down inside, there's a small hankering to go to San Diego Comic Con!!

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
raptornx01 said:
Spike Spencer (a dubber :laugh: ) was there but we got there to late for the panel.
I'd want to meet him. I feel sorry for him, typecast after playing Shinji Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I really only started with Discworld Conventions - Nullus Anxietas I, II, III and the UK Discworld Con (2010), but recently started attending the pop expos here in Australia - probably because they came to Adelaide for the first time last year.

Armageddon Expo 2011 in Adelaide, I saw Pat Tallman (Babylon 5), John Rhys Davies (Indiana Jones, Lord of the Rings), Christopher Heyerdahl and Ryan Robbins (Sanctuary), David Hewlett (Stargate Atlantis), Lance Henriksen (Aliens, etc) Robert Rankin (the author), and a few others.

Armageddon Expo 2011 in Melbourne, I saw Nick Brendon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Amanda Tapping (Stargate SG-1, Atlantis, Sanctuary), Robin Dunne (Sanctuary), Callum Blue (Dead Like Me), Marc Shephard (pretty much every show ever), Jeff Lewis & Sandeep Paraikh (The Guild) and a few more.

Oz Comic Con 2012 in Adelaide, I saw Ben Browder and Gigi Edgley (Farscape), Jewel Staite (Firefly, Stargate Atlantis), and Sean Astin (Lord of the Rings, The Colour of Magic).

I'm also planning to go to Armageddon in Melbourne in October, mainly because there'll be four Babylon 5 guests - Bruce Boxleitner, Mira Furlan, Pat Tallman and show writer/creator J. Michael Straczynski himself.

But before then, I've got a convention of my own to run - the Unseen University Convivium: http://ausdwcon.org :)

Jan 13, 2012
South florida, US
www.youtube.com
Quatermass said:
raptornx01 said:
Spike Spencer (a dubber :laugh: ) was there but we got there to late for the panel.
I'd want to meet him. I feel sorry for him, typecast after playing Shinji Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion.
I know. the only decent stand out that wasn't a shinji rip was one of the villains in Spriggan. But i still love the outtake on the Eva dvds of him seeing the Evangelion ending for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hzjuf686oA

Jan 13, 2012
South florida, US
www.youtube.com
10 years?! Already?! wow.

and since getting into my other fandom i haven't really had the urge to do any of the conventions or meetups (even with the impressive guest list at everfree northwest). Just not that interested. this doesn't change that, but it comes pretty -ing close.

I nearly lost it when he mentioned hooking a game console up to it.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I shared a taxi with Jack Cohen and Jacqueline Simpson to the last Irish Discworld Con and had three wheelchair races with Jack and his partner Seph (Persephone) to and from the plane at Bristol and Shannon... :laugh:

And Stephen Baxter made eye contact and smiled very nicely at me in the corridor at the 2010 Discworld Con in Birmingham. :laugh:

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
I've only been to the two DW ones over here. Was very nervous about going to the first one, but had a blast at both! Years ago I wanted to go to a con in this area that had some of the cast of Xena. I really wanted to get an autograph from the actor who played Ares. No one would go with me though and I was too chicken to go on my own. Really kicked myself later because shortly after that he passed away. :(

User Menu

Newsletter