Coronavirus Book-Reading Blog

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 136

Suicide Squad: Trial by Fire, by John Ostrander.

The Suicide Squad has become a somewhat notorious institution at DC. This ragtag group of supervillains being deployed to dangerous missions for the US has gained even greater knowledge thanks to the various adaptations of the DC universe. But how would this omnibus of the modern Suicide Squad’s original run go down?

The Suicide Squad, official name: Task Force X. Not that it can have an official name. The revival of this old concept is the brainchild of the ruthless Amanda Waller, who has brought together the worst supervillains, offering them time off from their sentences, should they survive dangerous missions. But they are, in the end, expendable, and their conflicting personalities, as well as the problems of their handlers, can be their worst enemy, more than those they face…

I have to be honest, I didn’t quite like the style of art and writing from this time. The writing is more melodramatically cheesy than what I am used to from comics these days, and some of the issues are badly dated. In addition, it feels like I’ve been dropped in the deep end with these characters, unable to form a proper attachment to them for the most part, and I feel a few more background stories could have been put into this omnibus.

Still, the stories are surprisingly mature and morally ambiguous for the time. This was, after all, not that long after Watchmen and its ilk broke new ground on such things. But it handles things very well, despite my issues mentioned above. Flag’s struggles with his personal and romantic life, Waller’s moral ambiguity, June Moon’s struggles with her Enchantress persona, and so on are compelling, as are the thrilling stories, dated though some of them are.

Overall, while not as good as I had hoped, this introduction to the original Suicide Squad (well, the revamp) was a decent one. Just wished it was a bit more…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 137

So I’m a Spider, So What? volume 8 by Okina Baba.

So, once more, I embark on reading a new volume of So I’m a Spider, So What? But how would the latest volume of this isekai series do? Let’s find out…

It has been two years since Hiiro Wakaba, now Shiraori, had undergone apotheosis and become a deity. But she’s still weak, and her once great array of powers and abilities have gone away. But as Ariel’s party make their way through the Mystic Mountains, intending to reach Ariel’s homeland of the Demon Realm, they find an unexpected obstacle. A mysterious ogre is on the rampage, and to Shiaori and fellow reincarnation Sophia’s shock, he may be another reincarnation…

Ugh, this volume has really brought the series down somewhat. There’s no real plot here, just an introduction (or rather, reintroduction) of Wrath, plus Shiraori being useless until she rediscovers her abilities. After the heights of previous volumes, it’s something of a letdown.

Still, the story is still entertaining, thanks in part to Shiraori’s snarky narration. Plus, Wrath’s backstory, and how he came to be tormented into becoming what he is, is a sad one. I just find it a shame that it was less than before.

This latest volume of So I’m a Spider, So What? was a noticeable dip in quality from the latest volumes. Not actually bad by any means, but I wish it was better…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 138

Fate/Stay Night manga volume 1 by Dat Nishiwaki, from the visual novel by Kinoku Nasu.

I am something of a fan of the Nasuverse, and enjoy many of its adaptations. But the original manga adaptation of Fate/Stay Night has been out of print, though many of its volumes are now thankfully available as ebooks. But how would this adaptation do?

Ten years ago, Shirou was orphaned by a massive fire that swept through Fuyuki City. Bereft of memories and identity, the young boy was adopted by the Magus known as Kiritsugu Emiya. Now, in the modern day, Shirou strives towards his dream of becoming a Hero of Justice. But when he is caught up in a clash between powerful beings called Servants, and ending up summoning one of his own, he soon realises that, willingly or not, he is now part of a major conflict. Namely, the Holy Grail War, a contest between Magi for the wish-granting artifact known as the Holy Grail…and the catalyst for the fire that wreaked havoc on Fuyuki a decade ago…

I have to admit, after watching so many anime adaptations of the story, I am a little disappointed. The artwork seems a little too rough when it comes to portraying the various characters, not quite up to the quality of later Nasuverse adaptations, and it also cuts out parts of the story I know are present elsewhere. It certainly feels a little too abridged.

Still, the story remains enthralling, despite cutting a number of things out, and we have something of Shirou’s inner monologue, something that does get neglected in some adaptations. The art shows the action quite well. I just wish there was more.

While a little disappointing, this manga adaptation of Fate/Stay Night was nonetheless a good beginning. A shame it wasn’t more…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 139

So I’m a Spider, So What? volume 9 by Okina Baba.

Now I have come back to So I’m a Spider, So What? But after the mild disappointment of the previous volume, would this one come back up to par? Let’s find out…

Finally, Ariel and her entourage have made it back to the Demon Realm after long travels. But even as Ariel reasserts her authority, traitors work in the shadows. Sophia Keren, having had enough of being weak, enhances skills she was warned not to use. Soon, Shiraori and Sophia will go to confront Wrath, the rampaging oni that used to be a classmate, but Shiraori has an even worse battle on her hands: confronting who she really was, and what that has to do with the malevolent goddess known only as ‘D’…

There wasn’t really much plot again to this volume, save perhaps for Ariel beginning to reassert her authority and the conspiracies against her. This seems to be mostly about tying things up to connect back to the future storylines, like reintroducing certain characters. This does hamper some things somewhat.

Still, it’s a more enjoyable instalment than the previous volume. There’s some actual plot in it for a change, rather than being an extended series of action sequences, and we have some developments. What’s more, we have a rather startling twist involving ‘D’ and Kumoko’s true identity that turns so much on its head.

Overall, this volume of So I’m a Spider, So What? manages to climb back up to a better level. Here’s hoping the next volumes get better…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 140

Attack on Titan: Colossal Edition volume 4, by Hajime Isayama.

Now, I have come back to Attack on Titan. But how well would the latest instalment of this series do? Let’s find out…

Eren has been kidnapped by the true power behind the throne of his land: Rod Reiss, who has shown him memories of what his father Grisha did to both Eren and the Reiss family, decimating them. Reiss is trying to force Historia into consuming Eren and regaining the legacy Grisha took from them. But will she do so? Or will the military coup prevail? And even if it does, there’s still other enemies waiting in the wings, with Reiner and Bertholdt, as well as the mysterious Zeke, the Beast Titan user, ready to counter any action taken against them…

Again, one of the disquieting things about this series is the military fiction cliches that ooze from it with every page, as well as some of the disconcerting implications in the plot. It feels like some things have been dragged out too much as well. Plus, the volume ends on one hell of a shocking moment, and even knowing further developments in the series makes me annoyed by that.

Still, it’s enjoyable to see the protagonists get a win for once, specifically with Historia winning a victory over her father Rod, and getting crowned. We also have the approach towards learning the secrets Grisha left behind, and the battle against the Titan Shifters is a thrilling one. Plus, we have the appearance of Zeke, the human using the Beast Titan.

Overall, this was a decent continuation of Attack on Titan. We’re so close to the revelations promised before, though…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 141

Resident Evil VII: Biohazard- Document File, by Toru Shiwasu et al.

Resident Evil VII: Biohazard reinvigorated the Resident Evil franchise of games. I learned of a making-of book about this game. But would it be any good?

Resident Evil 6 was released, but opinions about it were mixed. It was decided to take the series not only back to its more atmospheric roots for the next game in the series, but to take it from there into a whole new direction. But would this gamble work out?

I have to admit, I was disappointed by this book. Normally, making-of books would be fascinating, but this one seems overly technical, focusing on the process and not the actual creation. Plus, it’s altogether too short, though this seems to be an artifact of being a compilation of magazine articles.

Still, the book is fairly well-presented, with some neat insights into the behind-the-scenes work. The development of the RE Engine and the use of photogrammetry to create realistic graphics were fascinating, as is some of the development stories. I just wish it was less dry and clinical.

Overall, this book was a disappointment. Not a disaster by any means, given that it’s well-presented and has some good bits, but still…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 142

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders volume 4, by Hirohiki Araki.

After something of a long hiatus, I have come back to the aptly-named JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure. I had grown discontented with the ‘villain of the week’ format it was using at the time, but I decided to give the series another chance. Would I be rewarded?

As Jotaro Kujo, Joseph Joestar, Kakyoin and Polnareff set off once more, new foes lurk in the shadows. Polnareff may have avenged his sister’s murder, but her killer was the son of one of Dio’s most vicious and fanatical supporters, Enyaba, whose Stand, Justice, is one of the most gruesome. And if she fails, the man known as Dan of Steel has a Stand called the Lovers, and despite its apparently weak nature, it may eclipse Justice in its sheer dangerous ability…

Once more, the problems with the format of the ‘villain of the week’ make themselves known. There’s only so much variation one can do on how the heroes outwit or outpunch the villains, or how much variation one can do with the various Stands and their abilities. Plus, for all the buildup of Enyaba being implied to be one of Dio’s top enforcers, she goes down rather easily, and with a solution all but pulled from thin air.

However, the story is still an enjoyable one, and the highlight is the fight, such as it is, with Dan of Steel (aka Steely Dan) and his Lovers Stand, with the tension of Dan forcing Jotaro to do his bidding while Polnareff and Kakyoin struggle to remove the Stand from Joseph is brilliant, and makes the resulting retribution all the more sweeter. The Sun parts are also good, not overstaying its welcome. So while not that great, it’s still a fairly entertaining example of shounen manga.

Overall, while not great, this volume of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure manages to be entertaining. I hope the next volume along is similar…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 143

The Art of the Mass Effect Trilogy: Expanded Edition, by Dave Marshall et al.

The Mass Effect trilogy is one of the most famous game trilogies of all time. Created by BioWare, the games broke new ground in creating a science fiction RPG epic. But would this book live up to the hype?

In 2007, BioWare released its landmark science fiction RPG, Mass Effect. Five years later, the trilogy concluded. This book, then, gives an insight into the creative process behind the making of these definitive games.

Unfortunately, I was considerably disappointed in this book. There was very little text, most of it being artwork, sending the balance out of whack. What little insight there was was minimal.

Still, unlike the Resident Evil 7 book, what little text and anecdotes there were about the creative process was enjoyable and informative. The book is well-presented, with a lot of interesting artwork and insight into the games and the decisions behind certain artistic choices. I just wish it was more substantial.

Overall, while not truly bad, this book was more artwork than making-of. A real pity, that…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 144

So I’m a Spider, So What? manga volume 7 by Asahiro Kakashi, from the light novels by Okina Baba.

So, once more, I come to the manga version of So I’m a Spider, So What? But how well would it do now? Let’s find out…

The Japanese schoolgirl reincarnated as a spider monster is almost ready to find a way out of the Great Elroe Labyrinth. Only one thing stands in her way: a showdown with Earth Dragon Araba, something she needs to for her pride’s sake. But when a group of humans burn down her home, she will learn just how low her morals have fallen…

Okay, once more, there’s a distinct lack of plot, and after the previous volume kicked things up a notch. Which is a shame, considering it seemed to be going somewhere at last. Plus, Kumoko’s increasing lack of morals is a bit disconcerting.

Still, the volume, while not quite on the level of previous ones, does work. Indeed, we get to see the adventurers’ raid from both Kumoko’s viewpoint and the humans, and while these switched viewpoints were in the original light novel, it’s impact is made even stronger by the artwork, showing just how nightmarish Kumoko can be, even if her model in the manga is still goofy-looking. Plus, we have the beginning of Kumoko’s true resolve to take on Araba, promising much for the next volume.

Overall, while not as great as the immediately-preceding volume, this volume of the manga of So I’m a Spider, So What? did well enough. I just wish it was a bit better.

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 145

The Rising of the Shield Hero volume 3, by Aneko Yusagi.

After a bit of a hiatus, I have come back to The Rising of the Shield Hero. But how well would the next volume of this famous isekai series turn out? Let’s find out…

After a brutal battle, Raphtalia has been injured by a curse inflicted on her inadvertently by Naofumi when he unleashed a cursed form of his Shield. But as he seeks to heal her, he picks up a new companion, a Filolial-loving noble called Mel. However, he soon learns that she is Melty, the younger sister of the woman who betrayed him and falsely accused him of vile crimes. After parting ways with her, Naofumi, Raphtalia and Filo soon find that he has more support in Melromarc than he thought, and he needs it during the next Wave. But who is the mysterious woman Glass who opposes the Cardinal Heroes during this Wave? Can Naofumi trust Melty? And can he find a place in this world that won’t treat him like scum?

I’ll have to be honest, some parts of this book were a letdown. There’s not much plot, just incident after incident, and I felt that, at times, while not wholly unjustified, Naofumi’s treatment of Melty was a bit too spiteful. Plus, the idiocy of a couple of the supporting characters, especially the other Heroes, beggars belief at times.

Still, it’s a fairly good story once more, with the introduction of Melty helping keeping things fresh. The mystery around Glass, a woman connected to the latest Wave, also helps the intrigue around the plot going. And it’s nice to see Naofumi beginning to lighten up more, as well as his having more allies than he originally thought.

Overall, this volume of The Rising of the Shield Hero was a good continuation of a good series. Here’s hoping for more…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 146

The Legend of Drizzt: The Crystal Shard, by Andrew Dabb, from the novel by RA Salvatore.

Once more, I come to the comics adaptation of The Legend of Drizzt. But how will the adaptation of the first-published book of this fantasy saga do? Let’s find out…

In Icewind Dale lies the settlements known collectively as the Ten Towns. As a barbarian horde threatens them, events nearby have conspired to lead mediocre mage Akar Kessel to Crenshinibon, a diabolical crystal shard with a will of its own. But can Ten Towns’ unlikely protectors, like exiled Drow Drizzt Do’urden, barbarian prince Wulfgar, and Dwarf king Bruenor Battlehammer, help unite the settlements to stop Kessel’s plans?

I’ll be honest, this particular adaptation was more disappointing than the previous ones. The art style makes Drizzt look considerably different to what I am used to. In addition, they cut out a lot with Cattie-Brie.

Still, the story is still an epic romp of a yarn, enjoyable and thrilling. The action scenes are portrayed well, as is the scale of the conflicts involved. And despite my complaints about Drizzt’s looks, he still seems very in-character.

Overall, while not as enjoyable as previous adaptations, this one was still decent enough. I just wanted a little more…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 147

I’ve Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level volume 1 by Okina Baba.

Isekai is a genre with a wide variety of works. Most of those I read are of a darker sort. But I heard of a considerably lighter-hearted story, called I’ve Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level. But how would it go?

At the young age of 27, Azusa Aizawa dies of overwork at her company. Met by a divine being, she is offered a chance to reincarnate in another world, and given an immortal body, she decides to live her life on her terms, taking it easy. Her daily routine involves killing weak monsters, slimes, on the way to the nearby village, helping out with potions, and resting. But three centuries later, Azusa’s quiet life is going to come to an end when she, and those she lives near, find out just how powerful she is. Between dragons seeking fights, reincarnated slimes seeking revenge, and an elf seeking refuge from a demon lord, Azusa may have to fight for her peace, as much as she doesn’t want to…

Okay, let’s make this clear: this book has virtually no plot. Admittedly, this is partly because of the genre it’s part of, the slice-of-life, but still…it’s just Azusa getting into incidents and trying to get out of them to return to her peaceful, slothful life. Many more used to heavier stuff in their isekai will be definitely left wanting, and given how OP the main character is, it can also turn some off.

However, this series is not without its charm. Indeed, it has quite a lot of that. Azusa is a fun character, as are the others, like Laika, Shalsa, Falfa and Beezlebub. Azusa’s message of taking it easy would resonate with many in the modern world in general, and Japan in particular, given its condemnation of karoshi or death by overwork. And in the end, this series is a nice bit of light fun.

Overall, while not exactly winning any literary plaudits, this book was an enjoyable, gentle romp. There are worse books in the genre out there…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 148

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders volume 5, by Hirohiki Araki.

So, here I am, back with JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure. But how would the latest volume do? Let’s find out…

Jotaro Kujo and his companions are still trying to make their way to Egypt. However, more Stand users block their path. The mysterious wielder of Death 13 may be the end of them, but there’s also Judgement. But there’s some hope on the horizon: an old friend who was supposed to have died has survived…

Once more, the faults of a ‘monster of the week’ system for the plot shows itself. And then there’s the return of Avdol. The return is welcome, but how he survived, while just plausible, reeks of hurried BS with little to no foreshadowing.

Avdol’s return, however, is welcome, and despite having little plot, the stories do have great moments. The tension of Kakyoin trying to persuade the others that an infant wields Death 13 is palpable, and Polnareff’s angst over his sister’s death and Avdol’s works well. And there’s some epic and tense action with fun conclusions.

Overall, this instalment of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure was more of the same. Not exactly great, but thrilling enough all the same…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 149

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime volume 2 by Fuse.

I’d read the first volume of That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, but while entertaining and enjoyable, it felt like it lacked a certain meat on the bones. But now, I’ve decided to come back to it. How would this isekai series go?

Rimuru Tempest overcame his fellow reincarnation Shizue and the fire spirit she was bound to after they were forced into a rampage. But gaining a humanoid form isn’t the end of Rimuru’s troubles. A group of ogres come seeking their foe, only to realise after a battle that Rimuru isn’t who they seek. Instead, a mysterious Orc Lord has mobilised an army of Orcs, intending to go on a rampage through the Forest of Jura. Rimuru mobilises his people, and begins building an alliance. But will it be enough?

While there’s more plot to this novel than previously, it is fairly light fare, especially for the genre. Some of the characters are pretty blatant archetypes and clichés, and the main character is somewhat overpowered, which does make things a bit on the potentially boring side. Plus, I want to dope-slap Gabil up the head for his stupidity.

But the story is at least charming and entertaining. While not as light-hearted as some, it manages to balance gravitas and light-heartedness. Plus, we’re finally getting not only a proper plot for this particular volume, but more for the overarching storyline. Rimuru is a delight to read, and his new ogre allies are intriguing.

Overall, this volume was an improvement on the first. I look forward to more in the series…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 150

So I’m a Spider, So What? manga volume 8 by Asahiro Kakashi, from the light novels by Okina Baba.

So, once more, I’m reading the manga adaptation of So I’m a Spider, So What? But how well would it go? Let’s find out…

The Japanese schoolgirl reincarnated as a monster spider has resolved to defeat her greatest fear: the Earth Dragon Araba. It will be a hard-fought victory, even if she prevails, for Araba is one of the most powerful beings in the Great Elroe Labyrinth. But beating him is only part of the problem, for she also needs to find a way out of the Great Elroe Labyrinth…and there is also the Queen Taratect to consider…

As thrilling as the fight scenes are in this volume, there’s very little plot beyond Kumoko’s battle with Araba. That does drag things down somewhat, as most of this volume is simply that, an extended battle. Which is annoying, considering the better quality of previous volumes.

Still, as always, Kumoko’s character is entertaining, and her battle with Araba is suitably thrilling. The poignancy of the end of the battle is shown well in the artwork, as is everything in this volume. Plus, the little omake showcasing Shun, Feirune and Katia in the future is done well, given that they realise a fundamental truth of this world.

While having gone down somewhat since prior volumes, this volume of the manga adaptation of So I’m a Spider, So What? at least manages to remain entertaining. Here’s hoping the next volume is better…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 151

You Died: The Dark Souls Companion by Keza McDonald and Jason Killingsworth.

The Soulsborne games are one of the most infamous franchises in gaming. With the release of Elden Ring on the horizon, it’s fitting that I read this book about the first Dark Souls game. But how well would it go?

In 2011, From Software released Dark Souls, a spiritual successor to Demon’s Souls. It became a hit, in spite of or because of its high difficulty and vague storyline. This book, then, examines the impact of the game, analysing the game areas, as well as its influence on fans and pop culture…

For all the book’s analysis of Dark Souls, it does fall somewhat short of analysing the game’s stages, dedicating a pitiful few pages to them each. I also feel that some chapters fall short of the quality I desired. Certainly, more could have been said about the making of the game or the trilogy for a book that calls itself a companion to Dark Souls.

Still, the informal writing tone drew me in, and the content kept me there. Most of the articles the authors wrote in these are of interest, such as the trolling community in the game, or the challenges people impose on themselves to make an already extremely difficult game even more so. Plus, the cartoons that showcase the variety of demises that will befall players are quite macabrely charming.

Overall, while not as good as it could have been, this is a fairly decent look at a famous game and its fandom. Informal and sometimes facetious, but frankly, at times, that’s needed…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 152

The Rising of the Shield Hero volume 4, by Aneko Yusagi.

Once more, I’ve come to The Rising of the Shield Hero. This specific volume of the light novels promises to close up one particular story arc. But would it work out?

Framed once more by Princess Malty, this time for the kidnapping of her younger sister Melty, Naofumi and his companions are fugitives. Their attempts to take refuge lead to Raphtalia confronting her dark past, and the consequences lead them to meeting Fitoria, the ancient Filolial Queen, who issues Naofumi an impossible ultimatum, to work with the other Heroes, or risk her deeming them unworthy of their titles…and of their lives. But soon, Naofumi’s enemies will come out of the woodwork, and the true force behind his framing, the Church of the Three Heroes, will make their move. Will Naofumi succeed in his impossible tasks, to save a world that wants him dead?

There’s much about this light novel that is episodic (a hangover from when it was a web novel), which is to the detriment of the plot. And the interventions of both Fitoria and Queen Mirelia, although foreshadowed in the previous volume, still have the stink of a deus ex machina when they actually happen. Plus, the punishments of the King and Malty are a bit dissatisfying, if only in their childishness, and Fitoria’s ultimatum soured me a little to her character.

Still, the book finally closes the first story arc of this series, and does so in a satisfying and enjoyable manner. Malty and the King getting their comeuppances at long last is cathartic, and despite my disquiet, Fitoria and Mirelia are fine enough. Raphtalia finally gets some well-overdue closure about her past, and finally, things are beginning to look up for Naofumi, with his examination of his own flaws, as well as his true morality, coming to the fore.

Overall, while not quite as good as I had hoped, this volume of The Rising of the Shield Hero had a good end to the first story arc. Here’s hoping the next arcs are as good if not better…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 153

So I’m a Spider, So What? manga volume 9 by Asahiro Kakashi, from the light novels by Okina Baba.

And now, for another volume of the So I’m a Spider, So What? manga. But how well would this volume do? Let’s find out…

As the Japanese schoolgirl reincarnated as a monster spider struggles to stop the Queen Taratect and her forces, she evolves into an immortal form. But the malevolent goddess D contacts her again, warning her not to rest on her laurels, as well as admitting that she was the reason for the Japanese classroom being destroyed, being the target for assassination. And the spider’s trials are far from over, for the Queen Taratect has called for help from her own ‘mother’, the Origin Taratect, the Demon Lord Ariel…

Okay, so, as before, there isn’t quite that much plot for this story. This is admittedly, as noted before, due to it adapting a less plot-filled part of the novels, but it’s still a problem that brings down the value of the series. Which is something of a shame, really.

Still, as before, Kumoko’s character and inner monologue help make the series and keeps up the quality. In addition, the revelation of why D reincarnated the Japanese classroom helps clear up part of the story. And, of course, we get the debut of Ariel, in this timeline, and her redesign in the manga is very distinctive, managing to both be whimsical and threatening when need be, emulating the light novel’s depiction, and the tension of her pursuit of Kumoko is palpable.

Overall, this volume of the So I’m a Spider, So What? manga is a thrilling ride. I’m looking forward to more…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 154

Failure Frame: I Became the Strongest and Annihilated Everything with Low-Level Spells volume 1, by Kaoru Shinozaki.

Having stumbled across this book series quite by accident, I decided to give Failure Frame a go. But the isekai genre is populated by so many books of a similar stripe. Would this one prove ahead of the curve?

Troubled but altruistic and unobtrusive student Touka Mimori is transported with his class to another world. There, the goddess Vicius explains that they are there to fight the new Demon Lord, and have been granted special abilities to help this. But when Touka turns out to have the weakest skillset, Vicius promptly banishes him to certain death in a dangerous cave system, most of his classmates turning on him. But his defiance in the face of the goddess’ actions were born of his dark past. Touka has the will to survive, and his magical abilities are more potent than he realised. He wants revenge, on the classmates and teacher who abandoned him, and the goddess Vicius, and nothing will stand in his way.

The first major hurdle for this story is that it’s quite a blatant ripoff of Arifureta, another isekai series I have read, and not for the better in most regards. For all its faults, Arifureta had far better worldbuilding and a better plotline. Failure Frame does not even have as much plot as Arifureta, nor as much variety in its characters, particularly amongst Touka’s classmates. And a little too much sexualisation of Seras Ashrain is given.

However, for all that, it was an entertaining read that was clearly setting things up for future volumes. Touka is quite an interesting protagonist, and his struggles are thrilling. Plus, it helps that the love interesting being set up for him, Seras Ashrain, doesn’t look underaged, and has a more noble, if stereotypical for the setting, personality and backstory. And Vicius is certainly shaping up to be one of those villains one loves to hate.

Overall, while not as good as I had hoped, this first volume of Failure Frame is promising. Here’s hoping the later volumes do better…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Okay, so, time to start this up again...

BOOK 155

The Rising of the Shield Hero volume 5, by Aneko Yusagi.

So, here I am once again reading The Rising of the Shield Hero, specifically the last volume fully adapted for the first season of the anime. But how well would this one turn out? Let’s find out…

Naofumi has been exonerated of the false accusations, but his struggles are far from over. The other three Cardinal Heroes are far from cooperative, and seem intent on hoarding information. A trip to the idyllic Cal Mira islands for gaining more experience seems like a welcome break for Naofumi and his allies, but he has more problems. The annoying adventurer L’Arc Berg and his associate Therese have latched onto them as friends, the other Cardinal Heroes and their parties are showing the strain, and then, a Wave is about to descend on Cal Mira…

While on one hand, I’m glad the whole false accusation part of the series is over and done with, without that, the series seems to lose a certain something. Certainly, there’s not as much plot as there was previously, with this volume more of a breather one, setting things up for later story arcs by linking in L’Arc and Therese with the Waves and Glass, as well as showing flaws in the other Heroes, especially Itsuki. Plus, there was a lot of padding about Naofumi and his allies grinding.

Still, the series is feeling a little lighter now that Naofumi’s name has been cleared. L’Arc and Therese were decent enough characters, and their true allegiances are suitably surprising. And there’s some moments of good humour, as well as a creative end to the final battle against Glass.

Overall, this volume of The Rising of the Shield Hero keeps up the quality of the series. Here’s hoping it gets better, though…

User Menu

Newsletter