David Eddings

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
I love this author. He is the reason why I am into fantasy books, as he has a great sense of humour, along with the epic scale of LotR with feisty women, and great story telling skills, I can't find fault with his books, which is odd because I can find fault with a lot of things.

If it wasn't for David I wouldn't have even gone near Terry Pratchett!

If you have not read his Belgariad I suggest you do so. My favourite character is a man called Silk. Read and find out why.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
:laugh: Silk's great and I think he's my fave Belgariad character - and in the Mallorian as well although I find the Emperor quite intriguing (can't for the life of me remember his name just now)

I dunno with Eddings - David and/or Lynn... They're great at dialogue but sometimes they seem to get a little mired in it and also in their desire for most of their character's to be 'cute' in some way. Maybe that's why Silk and the Emperor are more attractive as they have a deeper and much darker backstory that makes them a little more rounded than other characters perhaps? Anyway the serial books are great reads - very playful and pacey and for people just getting into fantasy are much easier on the eye and the mind than say Tolkien or someone like Stephen Donaldson - will go over to the Comparably Fantastic thread to debate though! ;)

chris.ph

Sergeant-at-Arms
Aug 12, 2008
swansea south wales
i can find fault the elder gods series are all the same book repackaged ,their all the same , nowthe mallorean , belgariad , elenium series were all original . myfavourite book is belgarath the sorcerer and favourite character was aldeus

Jan 2, 2009
I enjoyes the Belgariad, the Mallorean, the Elenium and the Tamuli, but when they started on the Elder Gods, I found that phrases were being repeated, especially 'be nice', and the characters were basically the same, but just in different clothing and with different names.

I feel that the Eddings' have lost their way.

Cheers, Vena

NightOwl

Lance-Constable
Feb 22, 2009
The Belgariad came out when I was a student playing RPGs - Silk was everybody's favourite.

back then, Polgara was quite cool and Durnik was admirable - Mallorean (sp?) the Paladin was a role model for daft players!

Eddings repeated self in the second series, but returned to form with The Ruby Knight or whatever it was called.

I stopped reading pretty much after than series, it just started to seem formulaic.

I hated the Elenium series I didn't even bother reading the ending - got to finish the Elder Gods series but I do prefer that one. I found Elenium a bit too depressing - I did not feel like I was reading Eddings at all ... Elder Gods brought back some of the old style. And that was the style I fell in love with.

But it hardly matters since his death!

Jan 12, 2010
Brighton, UK
Hi, im new, and adding my two cents worth:

I found the eddings books when i was a teenager and loved them, have read them at least once a year since. My favourites are the Belgariad and Mallorean series. Also the Elenium and Tamuli.

Eddings have always written in a faily similar style even to the jokes/cameraderie between characters (in all the books).

I tried the Elder gods and gave up, very sameish all the way through.

my 2 cents, ta daaa! lol

Jan 1, 2010
Welcome Silverjunky! Hope you enjoy the forum.

I'd generally agree with those who sad it all got a bit formulaic, too many sweet little girls :(
But the Belgariad series was great fun to read such a shame it doesn't bear rereading. :(

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
I have agree with wicked woman.

While I enjoyed the Belgariad series, I found that Eddings was too deeply entrenched with the "kitchen-boy" genre for me to keep coming back as a regular.

That being said, "kitchen-boy" or as I sometimes refer to this style of writing "bubble-gum fantasy" certainly has a place. At times I actively seek out something light and fun filled. There is something very filling about watching a young boy grow up and getting involved with wizards and warriors far beyond his own tiny farm world.

It all depends on what kind of mood you're in. So many types of fantasy, for so many types of moods. Cheers.

I don't like my fantasy too heavy which is why I am surprised I like Cecilia Dart Thornton as she is really atmospheric and heavy going.

I like humour and camaraderie in fantasy though I despised Elenium and Tamuli - did not even finish Elenium ....

I loved Elder Gods BECAUSE it was so much like Belgariad. I prefer people who stick with their formula - as it works for them. I also like 'little farm-boy - Reluctant King and World Saviour' stories.

User Menu

Newsletter