Death and Dying

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
My father passed at 3 AM 25 October from a 7 year battle with Parkinson's disease.

He was at home, and chose to quit taking his pills. We had been informed that within the next month or so his pills would stop working at all anyway.

He took the last pill at noon on Friday. We had a lovely evening with family and friends visiting he was stiff and hurting but I gave him his pain meds and he was relaxed and happy through dinner.

At about 8 PM he feel asleep and we got him to bed. He never really woke up again. We had some nursing help for meds and comfort measures. My mother, my brothers and I did most of the caregiving.

I felt privleged to care for my Father in his last hours. I held his hand when he passed peacefully.

My Father was not a religious man. He went with no fear in to the future.

He fought this disease as hard as he could and at the end had what he wanted. I wish for you the same peace he had.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome to the site Decimaldancer. I hope that terry gets to read your post, but we don't know for sure whether he reads the site.

I'm so sorry for your loss - although there's a great deal of dignity with the way your father chose to go and although I'm sure you'll all miss him, I also suspect you are thankful that he's no longer suffering. He went the way he wanted to go - and that has to be a good thing.

Best wishes to you and yours,

Tony

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
Hi, not nice to have someone you loved depart...... at least He passed on with the ones He loved there for Him, and thats important.

Be strong and remember all the good things you shared over the Years, Welcome to the site.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
In a similar situation at the moment though the illness is cancer. I wish it didn't look as though my father was going to linger for too much longer now. It's very hard to know what to think at times, but he wants to be with us and not in a hospice and so we're all there as much as we can be and try to make the most of what time is left when he's able to talk and for however long that may be.

I'm glad for you all that you're left with happy memories and peace in this ending. Welcome to forum Decimaldancer

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
What a lovely way with words you have pooh. I'd like to echo those sentiments, and pass on my best wishes to your family.

Feb 3, 2010
Glasgow
Hi,

I'm sorry for your loss. At least he a loving family around him to the very end. I hope that you and you family find peace as time marches on.

My thoughts are with you and my love also.

M x

User Menu

Newsletter