Death and Susan

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
I am now listening to Thief of Time and I was wondering about Death and Susan. Does Susan love her Grandfather Death or just tolerate him? During this book she has the realization that all they have is each other during one of their conversation, she constantly tries to wind him up, and always seems frustrated by him. So to me it seems she doesn’t love him, but just tolerate him. Then we see that Death has a To the Greatest Grand Dad mug on his desk and memories of xylophone music in his memories, which to me means she loves him. I am not doubting that he loves her. Just more her about him. What do you think?

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
i always found there relationship can be oddly sweet.
she was brought up to be logical but we see her break that mould and when Death is in trouble she jumps

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Isn't the audiobook version of "Thief of Time" marvelous? Briggs' voicings are all excellent, but (hope you've gotten there) the way he voices the squabbling auditors is absolutely spot on. I can't imagine them sounding like anything else.

Anyway, to your question, the evidence that Susan's feeling for Death go beyond mere toleration sits on the Grim Reaper's desk at the beginning of the book--the mug of tea embossed with "World's Greatest Grandad."

J-I-B

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
J-I-B said:
poohcarrot said:
Jan Van Quirm said:
poohcarrot said:
I love Jan and J-I*b and SW, but I constantly try to wind them up. :laugh:

Works for me smartypants - looking forward to the next one
Me & J-I*b will take you out on Making Money. :laugh:
What do you mean "we," kimo-sabe?
*chokes on choc truffle* :laugh: They've gone stark raving Tonto - run for your lives! 8) Jeff - you're never gonna make me like Moist - he's a total git :p

Anyway - where are you taking me smartypants? Do I need a posh frock and/or unpredictable corsetry... :twisted:

User Menu

Newsletter