Death of the Sitcom

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
So does anyone really watch sitcoms anymore?

I can count on one hand the number of sitcoms I watch and on the other the number of sitcoms that actually still exist.

Reality television, & variety shows (dance, sing, etc.) seem to dominate the small screen. Throw in a blend of medical/science related dramas and investigative cop dramas and that's pretty much the land of television as we know it.

I watch How I Met Your Mother & The Big Bang Theory and those are the only sitcoms I still watch, but I remember back in the 90s when it was all that one could find during primetime.

Cheers.

chuffed

Lance-Corporal
Mar 12, 2010
Yeah those 2 is pretty much it... Green Wing is coming back soon though! that's funny, in a weird surreal way

Apr 29, 2009
London
Is it? Blimey.

I watched it before. It really is surreal, and I don't think I've ever seen a programme with Mark Heap where he isn't playing a very odd character.

Apr 29, 2009
London
Frasier was brilliant.

Actually, Channel Four shows (or used to, it's been a while since I was home in the morning) some quite good US sitcoms.

Everybody Loves Raymond (I didn't, I hated him, but loved his brother, Robert!!).

King of Queens, is quite amusing too.

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
Haha, of course it's familiar.

I have held off on Modern Family & Community because I'm invested in far too many shows as it is.

You have to pick your battles and which episodes to follow. Too much becomes a nightmare and distracts from work, school, social life, etc.

Cheers.

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
Ponder,

The Big Bang Theory is one of the most hilarious shows on television and one of the few remaining sitcoms that is still enjoyable in that format.

If you are a fan of intelligent humor, (math jokes, references to Einstein, Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, all things Star Trek, physics, nerds), it's something you should tune into. Give it at least two or three episodes, you'll find it grows on you.

Cheers.

Willem

Sergeant
Jan 11, 2010
Weert, The Netherlands
I've got mixed feelings about the Big Bang Theory. The main source of the jokes is one of the nerds, who's social awkwardness borders unto the autistic. That's grown pretty old. They've got some great gags and situations, but they also tend towards the cliche sitcom stories.

Parks and Recreations is funny, although you have to be able to watch Amy Poehler to enjoy it. Not my favourite comedy of this moment, but still fun to watch.

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
Willem, I read an article at slate.com a few months ago that praised the program for the very reason you find it stale.

Must-Geek TV-Is the world ready for an Asperger's sitcom?
How do you build a sitcom around a neurological condition without uttering its name? That's the challenge CBS faces in its show about the travails of four Caltech researchers: experimental physicist Dr. Leonard Hofstadter (played by Johnny Galecki), engineer Howard Wolowitz (Simon Helberg), astrophysicist Dr. Rajesh Koothrappali (Kunal Nayyar), and theoretical physicist Dr. Sheldon Cooper (Jim Parsons). The running joke of The Big Bang Theory is that these guys are brilliant at understanding the workings of the universe, yet hopeless at socializing with Penny (Kaley Cuoco), a waitress who lives next door. But a more subtle theme is that Sheldon—flat-toned, gawky, and rigidly living by byzantine rules and routines—appears to have Asperger's syndrome.

sheilaj

Lance-Constable
Jul 27, 2008
What about Early Doors and Gavin and Stacey?
I thought that Early Doors had The Royle family licked, stamped and posted.

Other favourites. The Thin Blue Line, Clarence (fairly obscure Ronnie Barker and Jo Tewson) Lame Ducks (really old, John Duttine and Lorraine Chase) and the masterly Open all Hours. Does anyone remember Turtle's Progress and Big Jim and the Figaro Club?
Not strictly a sitcom but I really really rated Boston Legal too.

User Menu

Newsletter