Differences between Death in Good Omens and in Discworld

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Death is a bit like Data from Star Trek TNG - the more he interacts with humans the more human-like he becomes. Humanity has become an interest to him and that interest has become contagious. We see him in the various books trying to understand human emotions and the human way of thinking because humans are his job.

I think there's something in one of the books that says something like a rat catcher will, as he learns about the rats he kills, become fascinated in them and eventually may even become a little rat-like. It goes beyond a job and becomes an interest and then a passion.

If I remember correctly, when the rat catcher in Maskerade dies, the Death of Rats comes for him.

So Death becomes more human-like as the books progress and he has more contact and takes a greater interest in humans. :)

Trish

Corporal
Apr 23, 2009
Wintersville, Ohio
Tony is correct; the more DEATH ineracts with humans, the more fascinated he becomes with us.

DEATH is always all about the the Duty and takes it seriously.
In Good Omens, he is doing his job.

Even when DEATH transfers to a new department (Hogfather), he makes sure human souls will be collected.

chris.ph

Sergeant-at-Arms
Aug 12, 2008
swansea south wales
homo sapiens have been around for about 100 000 years i think he knows us by now. plus there maybe more than one personification of death on different planets,dimensions and realities :eek:

User Menu

Newsletter