Discworld Character Card Project (DIY Playing Cards)

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
A

Anonymous

Hey sorry for my late response here. Recently I started learning about Tarot Card. Found this thread here I am very much interested to learn Tarot. Hope I can learn well from here. Though I started searching already through google. Might will get few ideas as well.

Will be glad if someone guide me a little about Tarot.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Hi Anidaita - although our playing cards are kind of like Tarot, they are based on the magical Discworld fantasy series version of the game that is called the Caroc. This uses different minor suits (8 of them) and different Major Arcana cards (13 instead of 20 odd). Further than that I don't think we can help too much with how you use them as they're not compatible with how you would use a normal Tarot pack... :|

I have used this site - www.facade.com/tarot/ - for ideas on card design but I think they have links and a shop if you want to learn how to use the Tarot properly. :)

A

Anonymous

Nice to get your reply here behind my post. :laugh: Actually I didn't a little bit research after posting reply here. And got know about few sites which are well written about Tarot Card. I got to know that tarot is an imagination game and favor is the big factor here who can tell the future. I got big list of Tarot card name from the following site http://www.instarot.com/en/

And of course I definitely follow your attached site no doubt. However, I just express my experience here. :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Good to know Anidaita - Tarot's a fascinating subject and the cards are always beautiful to handle but there's no doubt the more you know about their meaning and history the more you get out of it as they're full of insight and wisdom, even if you think the mysticism is pure bunkum! ;)

Splendour

Jul 16, 2019
I'm hoping to play some Cripple Mr Onion on my trip to Llamados next year, and the fat pack cards are all very well, but I'm hoping to upgrade them for something more accurate.
If these are still available they will be considerably better then my terrible attempts at art with a sharpie (I never could draw...)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'm hoping to play some Cripple Mr Onion on my trip to Llamados next year, and the fat pack cards are all very well, but I'm hoping to upgrade them for something more accurate.
If these are still available they will be considerably better then my terrible attempts at art with a sharpie (I never could draw...)
Welcome to the site! I'm thinking about going to Llamedos next year as well. I'm not sure what the current state of production is regarding accurate sets of cards is. Jan Van Quirm, who started this thread sent me a wonderful set of Discworld playing cards - very professionally and beautifully made. She hasn't posted here in a while so I don't know whether she was making the sets available to the public. I would suggest you PM her. The decks are as described on this thread, however pictures of them may no longer be available due to Photoshop being such asses.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I, too, am one of the fortunate owners of two of Jan's original and marvelous sets of DW cards. They occupy an honored place in my safe deposit box and I hope to eventually fund my retirement when I auction them off for a small fortune. :)

User Menu

Newsletter