"Discworld Noir" and "Interesting Times" - found the link

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Heh. I'm re-reading "Interesting Times", and... I just thought of something.

I first played Discworld Noir when it came out - in 1998 - but only read my first Discworld book, Interesting Times, in the same year. So a lot of the references (in the game and the book) went 'woosh' above my head.

I re-played the game a couple of years ago and FINALLY got them all. Talk about delayed reaction. So I missed the fact that Two-Conkers is a reference to the game of Conkers, because I was never aware what 'conkers' is. *blush*

I was wondering if there is some other in-joke with the name. I thought perhaps the in-joke was "To conquer", because he is suspected of being a spy or assassin for the Counterweight Empire, who are rumoured to want to conquer Ankh-Morpork.

This was nothing more than idle speculation until I got nearly halfway through "Interesting Times" recently - and learned that Lord Hong was planning to unite the Agatean Empire under his heel, and then invade and conquer Ankh-Morpork. So it looks like my hunch was right!!! :)

What do you reckon? :)

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Re: "Discworld Noir" and "Interesting Times"

According to what I read, conkers are named by how many others have been broken. That is, one chestnut strikes another until one of them breaks. The unbroken one is now a One-Conker. A Two-Conker is a chestnut that has broken two other chestnuts. My first impression is that Two-Conkers is incompetent or maybe just a beginner, with only two kills to his account. On the other hand, there may or may not be another meaning intended about something said to have broken two nuts.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Re: "Discworld Noir" and "Interesting Times"

Hmm... well, in the game, there is an assassin named Remora Selachii who attempts to kill Two-Conkers and fails (twice). The first time, he is stopped by Lewton; the second time, Two-Conkers is injured but not killed.

Maybe that's the connection? *wonders* I'm not sure what connection there is to nuts, though.

User Menu

Newsletter