Discworld Noir impressions, speculations and whatnot! *G*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
The whatnot is particularly delicious. :twisted:

Anyway, just wondering if anyone here has played the Discworld Noir game. If so, what do you think happened to
Lewton
after the game is finished? :)

I thought that
Nobby
came across just right. From what we can see (or, rather, hear of him),
Lord Vetinari
was not too bad.
Leonard da Quirm
was also done fairly well, although
a lot of his child-like simplicity and capacity for genius
was lost.
Commander Vimes,
on the other hand, was hard done by - although, having read a few detective-noir books, I can understand why they did what they did to his character. In the Detective Noir genre, there are always
two policemen - one of whom is the soft touch and the other one is the hardass who constantly busts down the protagonist.
Now,
Vimes
couldn't be
the soft touch,
so he had to be
the hardass.
;)

We also get to see
Gaspode the Wonderdog,
whose voice is also very well done.
Death
also makes a few cameos, and you can interact with
HIM
as well. His monologues are hilarious. :laugh:

Of the new characters,
Carlotta
steals the show and chews the scenery, as you would expect from the resident femme fatale. However,
Ilsa Varberg
(as "the other woman") and her
husband, the Agatean Two-Conkers
(as "the husband") also have many good lines. We get to see a whole lot of Ankh-Morpork that we don't often see, including much that is aristocratic and much that is seedy (as befits a noir police procedural). ;)

If you are a film noir aficionado, or a "book noir" aficionado, then you'll get lots of good laughs here. Even if you're not, and you simply like a good mystery (and Discworld), then you'll still get lots of good laughs here. It features some outstanding voice work from Rob Brydon, Nigel Planer, Kate Robbins, and Robert Llewellyn.

On the minus side... this game was designed to work on Windows 98, and so (for various technical reasons) it might not work perfectly on more advanced operating systems. However, it is definitely worth the hassle of getting it to work! *G*

What's your view on this game, eh? ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Re: Discworld Noir impressions, speculations and whatnot! *G

I've got a copy for PC, but have never managed to get it to play. I'm really not bothered now.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria

You can play it on your new PC with Windows 7 too. :laugh: Yes, you can! Ask me how! :p

(Why do I feel like CMOT Dibbler all of a sudden...) ;)

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry

Tonyblack said:
I've got a copy for PC, but have never managed to get it to play. I'm really not bothered now.
got my copy for the ps1 back in the day but it's been so long since I played it I can't remember much about it

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012

I don't actually play games but a friend who uses Ubuntu says that the old games play better on DOSBOX than they do on the original systems.

User Menu

Newsletter