Discworld Noir?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

TwoShotTino

Lance-Corporal
Mar 19, 2011
Aylesbury
The game is available to DL at classicgamingpresents.com I'm currently DLing the 2nd game as I haven't played that either. I will post once installed about how well the game runs on Windows7 (Hopefully very well :laugh: )

Deinocat

Apr 18, 2011
Perth, WA
Hoorah for Discworld Noir! I've been replaying it for the past week or so, love it! I use a Win 98 emulator to play, just love the nostalgia kick of the old OS boot up music :laugh:

Hvitveis

Constable
Jan 4, 2012
Norway/Spain
I am going to play this in easter. :cool: The first time I played it, i had not read all the books. (a loooooong time ago) I did the other two last summer and had to have the walk through for almost every step. WTF was shouted quite frequently. As I remember it Noir is a bit more sane? logical?

Tarthur

Jun 25, 2012
Gah! I've been wanting to play this game so long I'm getting a bad fever, when I'm this close succeeding! I've got a WIndows 7 so lots and lots of problems.

So, I admit, I got my version from the internet. Don't get me wrong, my uncle has/had this game physically; too bad he's missing one or two discs, which is why I must settle for unlawful one. Partly because GOG doesn't sell it, so I cannot feel that I'm guaranteed, that my money goes to straightaway Win7-compatible game.
I found the game in the home of the underdogs: http://www.hotud.org/component/content/ ... ture/21194 and there you can see the download links. Also this page was most useful: http://homeoftheunderdogs.net/tech/tech ... cworldnoir. I shall still write a short guide.

Unrar the game in C\Discworld Noir\ folder. Then unrar the fix with all it's content to the just created folder. (It IS possible to install the game to some other frive if you wish, but then you must edit the DISCNOIR-regfile the correct paths.) Then copy the cd1, cd2, cd3 and cd4 from the folder to the root of C ( -> c:\\cd1\, c:\\cd2 ect.). Then rightclick the tin3_dxd and run it as administrator, and change the screen colours to 16 bit to avoid colour error in windowed mode.

Now we should have the game running, as you click the tin3_dxd. But the game crashes after the intro.
SOLUTION: Click Alt + Enter in the starting screen and go to windowed mode. Start the new Game, watch the intro, and we're playing! After the intro you can click alt + enter to go back full screen.
WARNING! Don't click Resume Game or Options in the title screen. It crashes the game. Insted to load your game, start a new game, watch the intro, in game press F1 and load a game there.

This is how far I've gotten. I still have a problem, that the dialog/sound is not working. The whole foundation of the game is off, the great voice acting and funny dialog, and I don't know what the heck causes it, cause there is the english.smp sound file, that should contain it. If anyone could help me with that, I would be most grateful.

So close but yet so far. :p

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
It's a nightmare. I did get it running and then eventually hit a problem that one of the characters should have an extra option in their conversation after you have done certain things but the game never recognised that I had done them all. This was after a long time getting nowhere so I checked with a walkthrough to see what I had missed. It turned out I hadn't missed anything but the option which was needed to get any further never turned up.

I haven't tried to install this game on my computers in a very very long time (but I do have the CDs somewhere) - However, if I /were/ to attempt it, I'd probably try and do it under a Virtual Machine running Windows 98 (which I /also/ have the CD around somewhere) - trying to get old games working on a modern system is just asking for headaches - it would be nice if GOG does eventually sell Discworld Noir, as then they do the hard work for you.

I do know the first two Discworld games will eventually (or maybe they already do?) work with ScummVM, but I don't think Discworld Noir was going to be included by them.

Tarthur

Jun 25, 2012
Molokov said:
I haven't tried to install this game on my computers in a very very long time (but I do have the CDs somewhere) - However, if I /were/ to attempt it, I'd probably try and do it under a Virtual Machine running Windows 98 (which I /also/ have the CD around somewhere) - trying to get old games working on a modern system is just asking for headaches - it would be nice if GOG does eventually sell Discworld Noir, as then they do the hard work for you.

I do know the first two Discworld games will eventually (or maybe they already do?) work with ScummVM, but I don't think Discworld Noir was going to be included by them.
Yeah, Virtual Machine might be the best option, my dad said he would have that kind of program somewhere from his engineering studies. Though I'm not 100% sure if I want to install the system for just one game. :p I guess I'll just try banging my head for a while longer first.

Oh yes, the first two Discworld games work mighty fine with ScummVM! The problem with Discworld Noir is that it is made with a different engine that Scumm, so quite probably it won't be ever added in the program. :(

bplumb

Apr 2, 2010
Hvitveis - any idea how you got it running in the end? I have video but no sound and cannot access subtitles menu...any help greatly appreciated!

User Menu

Newsletter