Discworld QI at 2012 Convention IS a 'Goer'!!!!!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Re: Discworld QI at 2012 Convention a 'Goer'...?

Right I've just posted over on the CA forum with the 'go ahead' from Eelco and the Committee. :dance: :mrgreen:

Because Pat Harkin and Chris Boote are taking the pivotal roles as front men for this I going to mainly be posting on the CA forum on this in future and just put links in this thread so people can see what's going and either post over there if they're members or in here and I'll filter it over to the main thread.

I'll copy what I've just posted over there just now so we have a reference of what's being worked on ;)

Jan Van Kverm on the Cunning Artificer's forum said:
Finally got around to talking to Eelco - here's the latest exchange... ;)

Me: Update since you posted on the Cunning Artificer's forum. We have Pat Harkin and Chris Boote on board for this now and they're wanting to do the Stephen Fry/Chief Elf and Alan Davies roles with 3 other guest panellists if the Committee can get them - so more or less as the TV format.
Eelco: I think we should stay as close to the tv-format as possible. In the tv-show they can edit stuff and only take the best parts. Here everything is live, so the closer we stay to the format, the better the handle everyone has on what is expected from them and the better the chances things become funny.

Pat's involvement is subject to it not clashing with his Maskerade and Charity Auction duties so that's something we need you to sort for us.
No problem. With three guests, this is going to be one of the bigger items and it would be a shame if would have to compete for attendance.

'Discification' - the fan forums can provide elf duties as needed from interested parties. The Question Master and certainly the panellists don't necessarily have to be roleplayed as Discworld characters unless people fancy doing that, so that no doubt will be thrashed out in the run up to the convention. The actual format obviously needs to be steeped in Discworld trivia but also to remain fairly loose and random so this can be linked to Roundworld aspects and origins as needed.
I would think the Annotated Pratchett File is a good start. It's trivia, combines Discworld with Roundworld and contains lots of interesting titbits. I have already spoken with Leo Breebaart, and I think I can convince him to join in. :laugh:

If we could know which guests are interested in participating, then the questions can be tailored accordingly, depending on their Discworld nerdiness quotient (so for instance Rob or Bernard could handle more Discworld trivia than Jack or Ian perhaps?).
People I am thinking of currently: Jacqueline, Stephen Briggs.
Any other suggestions?

Next question depends on how slick the Committee wants this. If it's going to be a high profile thing then perhaps the QI show producers and team of elves could be approached (by the committee I should think?) to help a little with the format, but there's enough interest on the forums for the question structure to be put together between now and the convention - so how 'professional' (fnarr fnarr!) would the committee like this to be?
As professional as fans can get it I don't actually see any benefit in contacting the real elves. Do we already have a "head-elf"?

I suppose we'd also need people to make themselves available for a run through/rehearsal during the convention and for buzzers (with suitable silly bells etc) for the panellists so we'll need to make it clear that we need people's committments to that during the convention, aside from the actual stage event.
Ayup, sounds like a good idea. I have a preliminary time slot: Sunday 16:00-17:00. It doesn't clash with anything else.

Over to you with this - I'll be your co-ordinating forum wrangler elf!
Ha, you know what that means, right? In the programme database: Discworld QI. Owner: Jan van Quirm

I am very much looking forward to this.

Kind regards, Eelco

So quick recap with the ongoing issues there
1. Pat and Chris - up to you how you divide the compering/regular panellist roles - whoever does the compering could also double it up with being Chief Elf - unless...
2. Leo Breebaart comes on board and wants to do the Chief Elfing bits? Alternatively he might like to do the 3rd guest spot or be a reserve one perhaps? o_O
3. Cosplay element - voluntary I suppose? I think Eelco's right with sticking as close to the TV format as we can within the limits of being Discworld-themed, so audience and panellists are comfortable with things and we can play fast and very loose when it strays off into Roundworld and other parallel universes ;)
4. Guests - Jacqueline and Stephen Briggs would be v.g. I think as they have plenty to say for themselves and would fill the 'expert' and 'wit' criteria very well. I think we need a real DW 'buff' for the 3rd spot so someone like Rob, or Bernard perhaps, or Leo - all suggestions can be put forward ;)
5. the Sunday dry run spot sounds good and any attending Elves can meet ahead of that to go over the question format that really has to be thrashed out pre-Convention.
6. I'm not doing the Chief Elf spot - I'm simply the linkperson/liaison 8) I'll also be updating on the TP fan forum too but from now on this thread is Planning Central for the Discworld QI event! :happy-bouncymagenta:

This is a chance for anyone to contribute ideas to the event, whether or not they're going to be at Birmingham that weekend - I'm fairly sure someone will make a video for YouTube or similar so don't be shy about coming in and posting your views, suggestions and contructive critique of what's gone before as everyone can take part. :dance:
Ditto that last parag for over here - please post any contributions you want to put forward ;)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk

Just posted on the Cunning Artificers forum...

JVQ said:
Who's Wee Dug said:
That are pressing at the time. :laugh:
Talking of which - there are just over 9 weeks to go before the convention...

So - anyone who wants to be a Discworld QI elf, now is the time to get your thinking caps on about things Discy to ask in the way of General Ignorance and words that can set the alarm off. :laugh:

We have a young man from Oz over on the TP forum who dabbles in Discworld music (EngineeringSimon) who's going to have a go at making us a theme tune that may or may not be an arrangement of the existing Roundworld QI ditty, but aside from that we're mostly looking at cobbling together some suitably fiendish but fruitful questions that can be exploited in the usual way with punes, ribaldry or other comedic devices that may not necessarily be approved of by the Fools Guild. 8)

I'll give Eelco a nudge and see if he has any news on the 3 guest spots (which may help with the question formatting) but aside from that we can use the original as our guide to theming it so it blends seamlessly into the 'Old Ankh-Morpork' ambience of the convention - unless anyone has a better idea?

Have looked on YouTube and found the original pilot which actually explains the scoring system! :eek: Except it doesn't because they all finished on about 80-100 points a piece so they obviously don't use that one anymore :rolleyes: But, as a guide this is what it was - 10 points for a right answer; 2 points for a wrong answer that is QI; minus 10 points for a wrong answer that is also an alarm word/phrase (which wasn't in the original test show or not very many) and whatever else Stephen Fry thought was a good idea at the time.. :sunny:

There will be some 'thought showering' going on at the convention itself but it would be good to have at least an outline of the script such as it is shaping up in the time we have left until C day arrives.

Anyone want to get the ball rolling on theming, questions or scoring - or anything else come to that? :mrgreen:
Anyone who doesn't post over there can put forward suggestions in this thread and I'll cobble it all together and feedback - you don't have to be going to the convention to contribute and I expect this will eventually make it onto YouTube in the fullness of time as it's going to be one of the evening events with 'proper' guests :cool:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk

Just heard back from Eelco re the guests - he's not able to let us know who they are until he's got them signed up, BUT he wants to recruit some QI Elves NOW to help at the Convention so he's sure that it'll all be achievable...

...so! If you're going to the Convention do you fancy volunteering to help with getting Discworld QI set up and running?!!!!!.

We have Chris Boote and Pat Harkin on board as the 'resident' panellist and quiz master respectively and we'll be keeping to the QI format more or less so the Elves are going to be the backroom peeps helping with setting the questions and other bits and pieces.

I've asked engineeringsimon if he'll help out with a suitably arranged Discworld QI theme tune so that's one bit sorted, but there's all kinds of other things to consider like General Ignorance and the panellists buzzers - stuff like that. Could be a lot of fun :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk

It's all about question research in the end mC so the panellists can woffle trying to answer it in a quite interesting way so in theory if you're reasonably knowledgeable about the subject and know your way around L-Space then you can help with the raw material. ;)

I think there may be other things for Elves to do (and of course Discworld QI Elves can be nassstier perhaps :twisted: ) like sort out suitable buzzer sounds maybe? Or perhaps help with setting up tables for the set and with mics (although they have tech people to do the boffin stuff with that). Or keeping score, or looking after the klaxon, that kind of off-stage thingies? So there's stuff to do where you don't need to know much about the actual format apart from theming it.

I think what Eelco has in mind is to put volunteer Elves and Chris B and Pat on his mailgroup or twitter or something so we can talk on there about things in advance of the convention (and keep 'need to know' info quiet :p ) and then we'll be able to meet and do the practical stuff in Birmingham with most of planning done already so it all looks relatively slick without a massive last minute effort - well that's standard project management stuff anyway... :shifty:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk

MAD - we'd be thrilled to have you on board as an elf. :laugh:

Don't worry about the L-space side of things so far as the question setting's concerned as we really need to have that nailed before we even get to Birmingham to have a loose script put together for our Stephen Fry bod who'll be either Pat Harkin or Chris Boote (it was initially Pat but as he wasn't given the choice exactly Chris may duke it out with him as to which of them gets to be Alan instead :twisted: )

There's going to be a cut off point for this to be talked about on the forums (here and the CI's) as Eelco who's head of programming wants to keep things like the guest panellists IDs and other bits and bobs out of view so it's all a nice surprise on the night. What will happen is we'll likely get a mailgroup set up for the Elves (and whoever's Stephen as he has to ask the questions) so we can talk about theming and research in a private huddle and makes lists of things that need to be in place for the tech guys in advance of the convention so that as little as possible is left to do at the Hilton. This is why people who aren't going can also help out if they want, as most of the leg and brain work will be done over the next weeks and organised with Ops and the techies before we even get there.

I'll PM you in a mo and let you know what might be involved - so far I have mC, Sjoerd and WWD h'elfing me... :p

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
OK Chaps - as of yesterday Discworld QI is officially on the programme for the convention
and accordingly this thread will become a kind of drop in centre for the definitely signed up Discworld QI Elves who, atm are -

myself
Who's Wee Dug
Sjoerd
mC
engineeringsimon (musical director)
Dotsie and

Chris Boote who may be looking in here occasionally but is going to be our Stephen Fry/quiz master.

If you want to contribute to the format we'll be working on pre-convention with specific ideas for questions etc can you please PM me rather than post as the Monks of Cool don't want everything going on in the open too much from this point, although the programme will be out soon on the convention web site :dance:

If you want to be an Elf (whether or not you're going to the convention) you're still more than welcome to join us - again just PM me and I'll add you to the mailgroup we've set up :mrgreen:

User Menu

Newsletter