Discworld references in dr who?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

unseenu

Lance-Corporal
Feb 19, 2010
Hull,uk
Did anyone see the second episode of Matt Smith's doctor who series?(the beast below)

The end shot of a certain star ship being carried by a certain star whale really looked a lot like a certain world being carried by a certain star turtle.I wonder if any tp books survived on starship uk,if so they will all laugh at the simmilarity to their own existence

Has anyone else spotted nods to discworld or terry in doctor who?

The star whale certainly reminded me of A'tuin... except he's only carrying a country. A'tuin carries the whole Disc!
Does anyone watch Futurama? I don't usually, because it gets shifted around so much I never know what time it's on, but there was an episode with a 'world manta ray'. See if I can find a picture somewhere.

I know exactly what he means. The recent episodes... well, say what you like about Matt Smith, but I think it's down to the scriptwriters' fault. Every single problem is explained away with suddenly introduced variables. 'Yes, she was inside the TARDIS when it exploded, but luckily there's this super-secret emergency device that put her in a time loop, so she is in fact perfectly safe. Oh, and I have this 'cheap' piece of time and space travel technology close to hand, so I can go and save her! Oh, of course, we had to wait until the next episode to mention that. Sorry, didn't we say?'

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Tonyblack said:
The idea of a world being carried on the back of a turtle (and elephants) is not Terry's. It's much older than that and appears in Hindu mythology. ;)

Thank you for pointing that out, Tony. Even PTerry himself acknowledges the Hindu source of the turtle/elephant idea. If you're going to attribute the idea of worlds carried on animals modern sources, you might first want to attribute it to Dr. Seuss, who came up with the similar idea of a world the size of a dust mote sitting on a flower carried by an elephant in "Horton Hears a Who."

:laugh:

J-I-B

did anyone else get a hitchhikers guide vibe in the penultimate one whith the a) oldest message in the universe on that cliff b) All things gatering to witness (what we think is the end of the universe c) the universe actually ending d) basically everything

I'm surprised there wasn't a white mouse in the pandorica :laugh:

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Tonyblack said:
The idea of a world being carried on the back of a turtle (and elephants) is not Terry's. It's much older than that and appears in Hindu mythology. ;)

For a long time we lived out of range of television (well there were two in town with anteneas as tall as the Eiffel tower) so i read alot as a child. My mother was religious, my father not but encouraged us to read about other religions to foster a tolerance and understanding of religion and race. (and be armed to argue). So many books! I remember reading about the world being carried by a turtle when I was about 9, long long before TP was publishing. Terry Pratchett isn't the only well read author who refers to myths, fables and historical anthropology in their work so its no suprise we see "Discworld" references in other works especially science fiction/fantasy that can slip into any age of man for a base.

User Menu

Newsletter