Discworld TV/Film adaptations, ranked

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
This article presents an interesting list of how good the adaptations have been:

https://screenrant.com/terry-pratchett-tv-show-adaptations-ranked-worst-best/

I think I probably agree with their ordering, apart from the fact that I've not seen Truckers or the Johnny TV adaptations.

If the filmed version of National Theatre's live 'Nation' would count, I'd slot it in at 9.5. It was not very good.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
I more or less agree with their ordering as well.

Johnny and the Bomb and Johnny and the Dead are listed on Youtube.
There is also a listing for an amateur audiobook of Only You Can Save Mankind.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I wonder where Amazing Maurice will fit. :) But yes, I too more or less agree too.

I must admit to having a soft spot for the Cosgrove Hall offerings (yes, even Wyrd Sisters), because they were the first on-screen treatments of Discworld I'd seen. :)

Here's something odd about the Wyrd Sisters comic: if you close your eyes and listen to it, rather than watch it, it becomes an excellent talking book. ;)

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Mixa, the Cosgrove Hall adaptations (in case you're interested) are very hard to find now. I think I first saw them on VHS, which should tell you how old they are (mid-90s, IIRC).

I now have a copy on DVD. 'Cos I'm sometimes a completionist ;)

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Mixa, the Cosgrove Hall adaptations (in case you're interested) are very hard to find now. I think I first saw them on VHS, which should tell you how old they are (mid-90s, IIRC).

I now have a copy on DVD. 'Cos I'm sometimes a completionist ;)
Hey, RathDarkblade, how did you get your copy? I was lucky to get an imported copy in a store in Brisbane (German, but thankfully with English audio and subtitles), but where did you get yours?

I got my DVDs from amazon.co.uk back in the mid 00's when it was cheaper to send things across the world. They are, therefore, UK DVDs rather than Australian ones, but region coding on DVDs was never a thing I put up with.

I think my Wyrd Sisters one is on loan to someone and I can't remember who, all I know is it's not on my shelf...

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'm very fond of the joke in Soul Music (I don't know if Terry wrote it, but it sounds a lot like him).

After concert in Quirm (I think), one of the band says that they are "more popular than cheeses". At with point they have to make a hasty exit. This is a reference to the Beatles (while touring in the USA) that they "were more popular than Jesus".

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I'm not sure whether to laugh, groan, or thwap my forehead. So ... I'll laugh, groan, and thwap my forehead alternately. ;)

Yes, I've heard of the "more popular than Jesus" comment and how it stirred up controversy. Personally, I think the people who were offended by that remark deserve to be offended.

If Jesus -- just for the sake of argument -- survived in any shape or form, I doubt he would care. He'd probably look down from his cloud, roll his eyes, and say: "Don't make me come down there, people!" ;)

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
I'm very fond of the joke in Soul Music (I don't know if Terry wrote it, but it sounds a lot like him).

After concert in Quirm (I think), one of the band says that they are "more popular than cheeses". At with point they have to make a hasty exit. This is a reference to the Beatles (while touring in the USA) that they "were more popular than Jesus".
If Terry didn't add it, then he was probably kicking himself for missing the opportunity.

User Menu

Newsletter