Discworld water cycle

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
Thank you. :)

I know that the image wasn't anything fancy (particularly the turtle), but it was still a fair bit of work. ;)

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
I thought it was a super-doopa image and theory. :p

There are too many different threads to reply to all of them. I do read all of them but you have to be selective as to which to reply to. I made a decision not to get involved with this thread, because I had nothing of interest to add. Plus Kakaze's theory was pure brilliance. :p

As for the amazing graphic, well, I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't floating in space. :laugh:

The elephants? They probably drink off the Rimfall. The turtle? Ditto.
Great picture, by the way. I'm guessing it's mostly right, because even though gravity generally pulls 'down' on the Discworld, that's only because it's flat. In reality, it might be entirely possible to walk around on A'tuin like a planetary body. This means that perhaps water will condense into clouds anywhere around the turtle - including the discworld. The water falls off, gets trapped in gravity, circulates for a while and then gets dumped somewhere else, that may, or may not, be on the disc.
On the other hand, perhaps there's some kind of magically-sourced spring? If you hit a dead-end, you can always blame stuff on magic.
It seems really strange, you know? Discussing the Science of the Discworl... oops!

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
Thank you everyone for the comments, particularly the "super-doopa" :oops:

I'd say that the elephants & turtle get water from the rimfall and general humidity. Since they're space-going creatures, they probably have very efficient metabolic systems and lose very little water to things like sweat & urine.

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
mspanners said:
Nope it's just Magic, if the Field collapses the Oceans will drain... Look it up in The Last Hero......
Right, because the Disc's gravity field is created by octiron deep in it's crust, and, as everyone knows, octiron can only exist in an area with a strong magical field.

User Menu

Newsletter