Discworldy Speculations ... :-)

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
The game "Discworld Noir" features Lewton, the Discworld's first (and only) PI. :) It becomes pretty clear in the game that it's set sometime between "Men at Arms" and "Feet of Clay", because Vimes is recently married, and we see at a (non-speaking) golem walking around and delivering wine to the Palace.

Early in the game, Lewton speaks to Nobby, and we learn that Lewton used to be a member of the A-M Watch. Here's the conversation:

===========================
Lewton:
I guess I never really understood why it was that you didn't get kicked out as well, Nobby.

Nobby:
Me? I ain't never done nothin' wrong!

Lewton:
Don't give me that, Nobby.
When you were serving as quartermaster under the duke of Pseudopolis, it was widely known that several items from the stores
were found in your kit.

Nobby:
That was all above board. I had all the paperwork for 'em.

Lewton:
Your kit at the time consisted of two warehouses.
I just think Vimes had a grudge against me.

Nobby:
Lewton, I know your me friend an' all, but uh, you took a BRIBE.

Lewton:
Are you trying to tell me you never took a bribe?

Nobby:
Never.

Lewton:
The ham from Harga's house of Ribs?

Nobby:
Evidence.

Lewton:
The pocket clock from the suicide in the Shades?

Nobby:
I wanted somethign to remember him by.

Lewton:
The money in the petty cash box!

Nobby:
Mislaid by someone.

Lewton:
Misappropriated by you.

Nobby:
I never Mis-anthropated anything.

Lewton:
I just want to understand why it was that you could get away with all your petty theft, and I couldn't get away with one act of weakness.

Nobby:
Well, ehm.... you see, ehm....

Lewton:
Just say it Nobby, I'm not going to hold it against you.

Nobby:
Well I reckon Mr. Vimes thinks that a bit of petty theft ain't something to get excited about - I ain't admitting anything mark you, nothing has ever been proved - compared to some of the stuff that goes on in this city.

But someone who's take a bribe, well, that's like allowing the rich to avoid justice.

Lewton:
That wasn't why I did it.

Nobby:
I know, but you know Vimes.

Lewton:
Yeah, I know Vimes alright.
===========================
This totally fits Vimes' personality. He is a BIG believer in justice for all. He hates bullies and the aristocracy ... and is also morally inflexible.

We know he hates bribery (as we see strongly in "Night Watch), so it makes sense that he would persecute it, even if it wasn't specifically the kind he hated.

His moral inflexibility has served him very well during his adventures (See: The summoning dark), but for a guy like Lewton, it could be sort of annoying.

This also gives some depth to Lewton - he's not just "Mr. Heart of Gold pretending to be dark". Bribery is no joke.

It would be very easy to imagine Vimes not getting along with a sarcastic, morally-malleable guy like Lewton. And since Vimes is off the sauce, and Lewton is a heavy drinker, well... the watch might not have been the place for Lewton.

So ... here's my question. :) Who do you think Lewton accepted a bribe from? And why? Since it wasn't a member of the aristocracy, Lewton might have accepted a dollar or two to turn a blind eye to some petty crime or other. But why? Nobody knows, so we can make up our own story. :) What do you think, hmm?

User Menu

Newsletter