SPOILERS Disturbing Trend in UA and Snuff: **Major Spoilers**

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
David Brown said:
LilMaibe said:
Or perhaps have us actually 'be there' when that meeting Carter tells Trevor about takes place. Have us actually see that Andy attacked Carter and not just hear that 'andy didn't like what carter said', what leaves open the (if small) possibiliyt that Andy merely threw a tantrum which lead to a brawl and someone else injured Carter. The text itself doesn't make that clear. We just assume that it was Andy because the text, quite frankly, kept hammering into us how evil Andy is.
I disagree. Sometimes leaving it to the reader's imagination is more effective. If s/he has one, that is.
And it's something that Terry does a lot. It's one of the reasons I like his books so much. He doesn't spoonfeed his readers.

A

Anonymous

Agreed, Tony. Didn't perhaps pick the best scene there. Though, in any case it would have been nice of the text to allow us to use our imagination freely instead of, well, basically telling us what to think about the characters.
It's similar with the orc (i still hate him, but i'll try to be objective here):

Whenever he does something we get descriptions of how impressed everyone is by it. Everyone, (except the evil villain(s) of course) from Juliet and the bledlows up to Ponder and Vetinari How people are left speechless, how they are moved to tears and so on.

Where the story uses lists of clichés to paint Andy evil it uses lists of clichés to paint the orc positive and invoke pity in the reader.

Opinions vary of course, but I felt as if the story tried to give me a pre-made opinion.

By the way: Did H8 accept my offer of truce/peace? I put him onto ignore and the -display this post- doesn't work for me anymore. (must be my browser)

EDIT: On a further note on 'leaving things to the reader's imagination':
Something I always loved about Discworld was that Sir Terry left those things to imagination, that needed no explicit explanation, but explained those things that differed greatly from a realLife concept of the same name. In Snuff it's mostly back to that, but in UA it was rather in reverse, especially when it came to, well, toilet humour. Taste differ of course, but personally I would have prefered to see more of Andy living up to his reputation or even the training coming into actual effect or a little more explanation on how the game rules, old and new, differ from those in realf life, INSTEAD of the text talking about arses, soiled or burning underwear, digestion, people taking a piss etc.

A

Anonymous

On a final note:
I came to the conclusion when I scratch the orc (I still can't type his name, sorry) from the story I actually like it. When he's gone (and you adjust some of the things that annoyed me which were caused by him) what's left is a decent (not the best, but without said character not the worst) story with a few minor, but excusable stumble bits

high eight

Lance-Corporal
Dec 28, 2009
The Back of Beyond
LilMaibe said:
On a final note:
I came to the conclusion when I scratch the orc (I still can't type his name, sorry) from the story I actually like it. When he's gone (and you adjust some of the things that annoyed me which were caused by him) what's left is a decent (not the best, but without said character not the worst) story with a few minor, but excusable stumble bits
Except that the Academicals don't have a trainer and nobody gets redeemed. OK.

A

Anonymous

As someone bugged me to answer high eight:
Ponder would be the trainer and the game would unlikely look any different, except for a random character to replace the librarian in the goal, but as said, it needs only a few very, very small adjustments.
And who exactly is redeemed in the story that it is that important to you that you list it as a possible contra?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
LilMaibe said:
On a final note:
That's like the story Terry tells of when Hollywood approached him to make a film of Mort. They had the stipulation that Death be written out of the book. :rolleyes:

A

Anonymous

Just in this case it works. Which is...don't really know what to call it, but it is something that shouldn't be. But hey, as said, without him I like the story (though Pepe still reminds me of the idiots I have been bullied by, but that just on a sidenote)

A

Anonymous

high eight, I can only ask this of you:
If you truly believe, that Sir Terry is the first person in the history of fantasy fiction to go and try to redeem the race of orcs from the clichés people have of them, please, go and play the Warcraft RealTimeStrategy Games and, even if you might think the books that go with the series 'fanfiction', read them too.
Warcraft is only one example of people going and cast a new light on orcs. Maybe it is even the most popular example.

If you don't like RTS-Games, perhaps the book-series 'The Orcs' by Stan Nicholls is something more of your taste.

high eight

Lance-Corporal
Dec 28, 2009
The Back of Beyond
LilMaibe said:
high eight, I can only ask this of you:
If you truly believe, that Sir Terry is the first person in the history of fantasy fiction to go and try to redeem the race of orcs from the clichés people have of them, please, go and play the Warcraft RealTimeStrategy Games and, even if you might think the books that go with the series 'fanfiction', read them too.
Warcraft is only one example of people going and cast a new light on orcs. Maybe it is even the most popular example.

If you don't like RTS-Games, perhaps the book-series 'The Orcs' by Stan Nicholls is something more of your taste.
I very much doubt if Terry plays Warcreft.

I started reading The Orcs and gave up after about two chapters. Nicholls just can't write, imo.

A

Anonymous

I never claimed Sir Terry plays Warcraft. What I do claim though, is that he by far isn't the first or only person to try and portray this one fantasy race in a less negative light.
But as I said, please play the games and, perhaps, read the books first.

high eight

Lance-Corporal
Dec 28, 2009
The Back of Beyond
LilMaibe said:
I never claimed Sir Terry plays Warcraft. What I do claim though, is that he by far isn't the first or only person to try and portray this one fantasy race in a less negative light.
But as I said, please play the games and, perhaps, read the books first.
Sorry, but Warcraft doesn't sound very interesting to me. I have friends who are absolutely obsessed by it, (and, come to think of it, one of them is an orc) but I just cannot raise any interest myself. (And I don't think my computer is good enough anyway).

A

Anonymous

No, no. Not World of Warcraft. That's the MMORPG (and honestly the formerly nice story there went down the drain. Pity).
Warcraft 1-3 are, as said, RealTimeStrategy Games that, well, if you can use this forum your computer should be able to run them.

high eight

Lance-Corporal
Dec 28, 2009
The Back of Beyond
LilMaibe said:
No, no. Not World of Warcraft. That's the MMORPG (and honestly the formerly nice story there went down the drain. Pity).
Warcraft 1-3 are, as said, RealTimeStrategy Games that, well, if you can use this forum your computer should be able to run them.
Strategy games certainly sound more interesting. I might actually have a look.

A

Anonymous

Have fun.
The first game might be a bit screwy (controlswise etc) but 2 and especially 3 are excellent.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Ziriath said:
Some things were canonised in novels, after the non-canon materials were made.
Vetinari's beard, for example. It wasn't mentioned in the older Discworlds. I think almost nobody, even The Author, knew how to exactly imagine V., before the Kidby's illustrations were released.
Terry has said that as soon as he saw Stephen Briggs play Vetinari on stage, Vetinari had a beard because Stephen Briggs has one. I believe it is the same with the dark hair. Stephen was playing Vetinari long before Kidby began illlustrating Discworld.

Ziriath said:
Or Vimes. We do not know anything about his appearance, do we? He lacks any description. And still we would not know, if there weren't the illustrations.
Terry has said that he always imagines Vimes looking like a younger Pete Postlethwaite, despite how many other people (including Kidby) visualize Vimes as a Dirty Harry type. Neither of the descriptions, Vetinari nor Vimes, is in the books but I believe Terry's statements.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
=Tamar, have you seen the version of Vimes in the Where's My Cow book? He looks very much like Pete Postlethwaite in there. :laugh:

This picture is not great, but it's the best I could find on Google. o_O

User Menu

Newsletter