Doctor Who: The Big Finish audios...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jack Remillard

Lance-Corporal
Oct 27, 2009
Yeah, same here. I think it's mostly down to individual preference. I know some fans love coming up with convoluted ways of making everything fit together. :laugh: I generally think the 'New Adventures-ized' Big Finish stories happened in that continuity but the rest probably happened in the TV series universe. Unless they didn't. :laugh:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Jack Remillard said:
One thing I remember finding funny in Spare Parts was somebody describing a Cybermen as having a 'horrible cloth face'. :laugh:
Well, that's what they had in their first appearance, in the story called The Tenth Planet:

Seriously, did you think that cloth faces and those sing-song voices came out of nowhere? It's both funny and [EFF!]ed up that the first Cybermen looked like this. They were meant to be creepy, and, well, they kinda do. :|

Jack Remillard

Lance-Corporal
Oct 27, 2009
I just found it kind of funny that they directly referred to that element of the original cybermen. :)

You're right, they definitely were creepy!

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BTW, listened to one of the free audios Big Finish made available on SoundCloud, The Veiled Leopard. Okay, but far from great.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Well, much better was Cuddlesome. Not perfect, but certainly enjoyable and darkly humorous. That's definitely one to download if you're a Big Finish virgin or veteran.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Anyway, just listened to Davros and The Nightmare Fair. The first story was an interesting look at the twisted mind of Davros, and an effective story of him managing to do so much without any Daleks, and the second was a pretty good never-made story.

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
The Mad Collector said:
Special for the 50th anniversary this year

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-light-at-the-end-limited-collector-s-edition-860

The cast list sounds interesting

Cast
Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann (The Doctor), Louise Jameson (Leela), Sarah Sutton (Nyssa), Nicola Bryant (Peri), Sophie Aldred (Ace), India Fisher (Charley Pollard), Geoffrey Beevers (The Master) with special guest stars!
I've listened to the trailer. According to Big Finish, all eight classic series Doctors will be in there, and if the trailer's any judge, they may have gotten in voice artists to emulate the deceased Doctors. :|

Anyway, listened to Bloodtide. Charles Darwin plus the Silurians wasn't the perfect winning combo I had hoped for, but it was still a pretty damn good story.

On a different note, they must use cheap bloody CD cases. I had a lot of trouble getting Bloodtide out of the case, and I was worried that I was going to break one or both of the discs. o_O

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
And just listened to The Juggernauts and Unregenerate! The first was a pretty good but flawed redo of Davros, while the second was actually an excellent story, despite the era it was set in.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Listened to Storm Warning, Sword of Orion, and Zagreus. Storm Warning and Sword of Orion are fairly average, but Zagreus was a brilliant, enjoyable epic.

Jack Remillard

Lance-Corporal
Oct 27, 2009
I re-listened to the first two episodes of Spare Parts this morning for the first time in a number of years. It really is very good.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Soon, I'm going to be listening to a bunch more Doctor Who Big Finish Audios: The Elite, The Butcher of Brisbane, The Wrong Doctors, The One Doctor, Earth Aid, Night Thoughts, The Magic Mousetrap, Max Warp, Dark Eyes, and the Unbound adventure Sympathy for the Devil.

Jack Remillard

Lance-Corporal
Oct 27, 2009
Enjoy. :)

Of those, I've listened to The Magic Mousetrap, Night Thoughts and The One Doctor.

I remember quite enjoying The Magic Mousetrap and The One Doctor, but Night Thoughts is one of my favourites. :) Really have to listen to it again soon.

Jack Remillard

Lance-Corporal
Oct 27, 2009
Oh, and Zagreus. You thought it was good, then? :) A lot of my early choices of Big Finish stories were made based on reviews, and I seem to recall that getting pretty mixed reviews so I didn't get it.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
I thought that Zagreus was excellent. Of course, for many, it's a case of Your Mileage May Vary. In fact, it's still divisive on the Big Finish forums.

Listened to The Elite yesterday. Good story, interesting twist.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Just listened to The Butcher of Brisbane, The Wrong Doctors, and The One Doctor over the past few days. The first was an excellent prequel/sequel to The Talons of Weng-Chiang, the second was an okay story but a bit too mind-bendy, and the third was an absolutely hilarious romp.

Jack Remillard

Lance-Corporal
Oct 27, 2009
Ah, is that one of the 'lost stories'? :)

The most rubbish one I can think of at this point is The Dark Husband. :laugh: I mean, it's worse than Silver Nemesis*. :laugh:

* Which I quite enjoyed watching because Sylvester and Sophie looked like they were having so much fun. :laugh: But that wasn't enough to save that The Dark Husband for me. :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter