Dodger's Guide to London

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

simmonds91

Lance-Corporal
Oct 29, 2012
I don't think dodger is good enough, or long enough, to bother getting the merchandise. If it was discworldian i'd buy it. I love the discworld almanac and think there should be others, then again I suppose the diaries (though I don't own any) are a type of almanac? if the century (or year) of the fruitbat is over, what animal symbolises the current?

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
The diarys do have a lot of info packed into them and are an interesting addition to the DW books. Liked Dodger but don't feel the pull to buy the guide at all.

So I finally got around to finishing this the other night.

It's not bad, but certainly not essential for a Pratchett fan. The book has lots of tidbits about life in Victorian London, but not being all that familiar with modern-day London, I suspect many of the place references were lost on me.

The biggest issue is that it's very light on the humour - I think I may have giggled 2 or 3 times in the entire book - and that's mostly what disappointed me. The spinoff material not written by Terry needs to still be funny whilst enriching the worlds of his books. The World of Poo succeeded well there, because Geoffrey's story was amusing and it explored a side of Ankh-Morpork we don't often see. This book explores Dodger's London with some interesting facts, but little in the way of jokes.

User Menu

Newsletter