SPOILERS Dragons of Crumbling Castle *possible spoilers*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I got my copy via my Kindle yesterday and already have read a good deal of it. I had actually forgotten that I pre-ordered it and was only expecting Bernard Cornwell's new book.

I'm enjoying it so far. It's very much a children's book, but with Terry's wicked sense of humour showing through even when these stories were first written, when Terry was a teenager. :)

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
Loved this book, the early Carpet People stories are fascinating in you can see how he developed the characters later but the best bit is the way it is printed, I just love the humour of the typography. Lots of different fonts and sizes to emphasise actions and when the story moves into things happening at night the pages are black with white writing. :laugh: :laugh:

Fragus

Constable
Aug 2, 2012
Milton Keynes
www.leutyworld.co.uk
Slipcase Edition from Waterstone's.

"The deluxe slipcase edition is fully illustrated and includes: special foreword by Terry Pratchett; two bonus stories; critical commentaries to accompany each story; limited-edition colour print; and, additional content."

RRP £25.00, pre-order £20.00, 19 days to release :laugh:

Standard Book 352 pages, Slipcase edition 448 pages.... 96 extra pages...... :clap:

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
Standard edition (which is by the way fully illustrated and has a foreword by Terry) cost me £5.60 on Amazon, slipcase edition £20 for 96 extra pages that's £14.40 for 2 short stories, £7.20 each or 15 pence a page, actually more than that if you discount the 'extended' commentaries so reducing the actual page count of the extra stories. :rolleyes:

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
Fragus said:
Slipcase Edition from Waterstone's.

"The deluxe slipcase edition is fully illustrated and includes: special foreword by Terry Pratchett; two bonus stories; critical commentaries to accompany each story; limited-edition colour print; and, additional content."

RRP £25.00, pre-order £20.00, 19 days to release :laugh:

Standard Book 352 pages, Slipcase edition 448 pages.... 96 extra pages...... :clap:
Noticeably the price is still £20 so that wasn't really a pre-order price at all as it appears to have just become the 'normal price' now the book is out :rolleyes:

Fragus

Constable
Aug 2, 2012
Milton Keynes
www.leutyworld.co.uk
The Mad Collector said:
Just bought the deluxe edition for £13.57 with free postage from Wordery :laugh:

https://wordery.com/dragons-at-crumbling-castle-and-other-stories-terry-pratchett-9780857534385
I ordered mine from Waterstones in August, and paid £16.00. I thought, as it was a Waterstone special edition, it would only be available from them. :doh: I'll keep an eye on Wordery from now on. At least I didn't pay full price. :)

I must also keep an eye on these descriptions from Waterstones, special and limited..... I wonder how many have been printed?!! :think:

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
Fragus said:
I must also keep an eye on these descriptions from Waterstones, special and limited..... I wonder how many have been printed?!! :think:
Probably many thousands, It's described as a deluxe edition so they could even print more of these than the standard edition. There isn't a limitation number on the book or the print so it's not limited unless it's limited in the Danbury Mint meaning of the word which is 'limited to the total number we can sell' :rolleyes:

Fragus

Constable
Aug 2, 2012
Milton Keynes
www.leutyworld.co.uk
The Mad Collector said:
Fragus said:
Probably many thousands, It's described as a deluxe edition so they could even print more of these than the standard edition. There isn't a limitation number on the book or the print so it's not limited unless it's limited in the Danbury Mint meaning of the word which is 'limited to the total number we can sell' :rolleyes:
Shudders, they could end up being advertised in the back of Sunday Supplements, along with staypress and elasticated waist trousers...... Arrrghhhh........ :eek:

Natalya

Lance-Corporal
Feb 1, 2012
Russia, Lipetsk
www.youtube.com
At last, I've ordered the book for my New Year's holiday (in Russian internet-shop)! :dance: It'll be delivered next 4-5 days.
(Hmmm...by the way, after my order, price of book was increased approximately 45% :eek: !)
I will end to read 'Unseen Academicals' soon. And I'll start 'Dragons...' immediately ! I hope, it will be the best book for holiday time... :)
I promise to write down here my impressions about the book after New Year's holiday days... :)

User Menu

Newsletter