Equal Rites.. How much?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

ladyvimes

May 24, 2010
Hi, I came across a copy of this book and am looking to ebay it, it is a 1st edition with a dj 1987. But am unsure of what is a acceptable price to be asking. does anyone have any ideas please? It is VG in a VG dj.
Thankyou :) xxx

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome from me too! :laugh:

Abe Books can be a useful place to get a guideline price. Fill in all the details you can in the search facility and you should get an idea of what sort of price to ask.

Beware that you don't have a 'Bookclub' (BCA) edition. It might be a "first edition" but it won't be a 'real' first edition. ;)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I may be the bearer of not so good news, as your edition is priced clipped that may mean it was a book club cover,although it was a 1st edition bought from the publishers, the book clubs had the covers for them printed for from the publishers without a price printed on them and some people(out to make a fast buck at other people's expence) cottoned on to this and snipped the corner off to make it look like it had been a present. :(

As they were from the same print run it it very difficult to tell if it was a book club sale or a shop bought edition.

Hence a few unwary people were caught out and paid quite a lot for them being clipped they are worth a lot less, unless you can find an original dust jacket unclipped then you are certain to have an original of both.

Oh! and wecome to the forum.

ladyvimes

May 24, 2010
thanks all and thanks for the info, I picked it up from a bootsale with a few later books including an ex-lib or two, had sourcery too which sold last week for £49.99 on a buy now, got snapped up pretty quick too :)

I was (am) a reader of pratchett too, used to love reading his books when i was younger, I really should read some more as ive probably not read anything from the past 5 or 6 years and i know theres plenty of new stuff to read :)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
As I remember Tony not on the ones that early or any new author, the same happened with Robert Rankin and Tom Holt ones, as I used to be a member then, but when they started to shift a lot thats when they started to print their own covers and books which did not have any name on the bottom of the dust jacket and three initials on the bottom of the book spine indicating it as bookclub edition as well as inside on the fly page.

ladyvimes

May 24, 2010
Wee Dug, is there anything else different with the DJ's I should look for that would let me know? Although the fact I picked it up from a bootsale with other Prattchets makes me believe it was just someones lot of books that they were getting shot of. All the books I got were priced between 30p - 50p each. (30p for the ex-libs and 50p for the others)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Not that I can think of at the Mo. other than there may be a very slight variation in the ink shades which unless you had an original with you it would be very hard to tell.

Even an ex lib one, first/first with the stamp in if it was not too badly leaned, would still be worth a good few shekels for a very early one.

Hope this helps. :)

ladyvimes

May 24, 2010
Thanks for the info dug :) Will have to see how this one sells, then have a go listing the ex-libs and other later books. Lots of bootsales over the weekend with bank holiday, see if i can find any more goodies lol :)

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter