Eric in black cover?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

sparkeh

Nov 12, 2008
Hello all,

So I only got in Discworld recently and have been collecting the Black cover editions, I noticed that Eric seems to have been skipped in the releases.

Are there plans to release Eric in this cover? I see that the audio CD has the artwork for a black cover already but no book.

TIA

Sparkeh

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Hi there sparkeh and welcome! :)

As far as I know Eric wasn't published by the usual publishing house and it originally came out as an illustrated large format book with artwork by Josh Kirby inside. That was later brought out as a paperback without illustrations.

That may be why it never made it into a black cover. I'm guessing (but don't know) that The Last Hero also never made it into black covers. :)

Jammo111

Nov 18, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Came here for the same reason, and to ask the same question. But as sparkeh said above, if they have the black cover for the audio cd, why cant they have it for the book?

Ben Carey

Feb 22, 2009
Luton
Hi

Dose anyone know if there are plans for Eric to come out in the black cover books?

and dose anyone know if there are any others that havn't been mentioned in the discworld series that are not in the Black covers?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Ben Carey said:
Hi

Dose anyone know if there are plans for Eric to come out in the black cover books?

and dose anyone know if there are any others that havn't been mentioned in the discworld series that are not in the Black covers?
Hi Ben, as I said earlier, Eric wasn't published by Terry's usual publishers as it originally came out in a large format illustrated version.

So the answer is that I don't know. You might try contacting Terry's publishers and seeing if they have any plans for doing this.

Welcome to the site. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The_Discworldaholic said:
Tony dont forget about the normal paperback editions that were printed.
1 Vista
2 VG SF
3 Millenium
Thanks - I hadn't forgotten, but I really don't know what the status with this book is. Do Tansworld have the rights to it? That's the only way I can see it coming out with the black covers. o_O

winther

Lance-Constable
May 18, 2009
Denmark, Europe
Eric in black cover

Hiya all,

I'm new to this forum, but not new to Terry Pratchett's wonderful world of humour. I'm collecting the black cover adult editions as well, and noticed something a bit odd...

On the back of these editions, each book has its number in the series printed in dark grey lettering. It seems as if Eric has been counted into those numbers as book #9... yet it hasn't been published in this layout as far as i know... weird!

Anyhow, just wanted to share this...

PS. I'm a BIG fan of the new black layout btw. The only thing that would have made them any cooler would be if they had released them as hardcover...

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It's kind of nice to have all the books in the same format, in order on your bookshelf. I got really annoyed that Wintersmith came out in a different size and format to the previous Tiffany books. It may seem a small gripe, but the other two hardbacks (UK) were a somewhat smaller size than the other 'mainstream' Discworld books. Then Wintersmith came out and was the same size as the 'mainstream' ones.

I can certainly see the attraction of having a set of the 'black' editions and would think they'd look quite handsome on a bookshelf. :laugh:

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
But the sizes have changed in various editions one size up to Pryramids then from Guards Guards to Maskerade slighty different then Feet of Clay onwards to Jingo then bigger again to Making Money,smaller for Johnny&the Dead to Hat Full of Sky,back to bigger for Wintersmith and Nation. I think we are just going to have to live with it ,personally it does not bother me but it would be nice to have them all uniform,save me having to change my bookshelve sizes. :)

vamp77

Jun 19, 2010
Hi all

I have just got into the discworld books, never really into books before, but decided I really should give reading a go.
I picked the discworld books as years ago I collected the statues (bit obsessed with Death lol)
Looks like I have fallen into the black book dilema, being a goth I went for those, but have just discovered that Eric isnt in that format. :(
I found this post and wondered if anyone had any news on it, or am I going to have to get it in a different cover ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome to the site, vamp77! :laugh:

Looks like you might have to go for the 'colourful' covers as Eric isn't available in the black covers. But who knows? Maybe you should write to the publishers and ask what their plans are on the matter. ;)

User Menu

Newsletter