Eternal Gratitude for Terry Pratchett

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
I did this simply to express my thanks to the Author for assisting me in inspiring my 12 and 10-year old grandchildren to develop a passion for reading. They resided with me for several months this year, and I decided to introduce them to 'bed-time' reading. I have long been a fan of the Disc World series, and hit on the idea of reading one to them. I found "The Wee Free Men", and had many a pleasant night of giggles and guffaws with them as a result. They moved away two months ago, and I was overjoyed to hear that the first thing my grandchildren did in their new location was seek out the local public library, and begin checking out as many Terry Pratchett books as they could find, and are now ordering more. My daughter tells me that they are constantly running to her to exclaim, "Mom, you gotta hear this!". From the bottom of this humble poet's heart, thank you, Sir Terry Pratchett. Long may you live. Hugs - The Pauper Poet

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
I think your two grandchildren are very lucky to have such a wise and caring grandparent. :) And what joy to be able to encourage them to read such a good author. By the time they get to I Will Wear Midnight--they'll have a link to the forum, at least in the British version. Don't know about the U.S. one. We have some young readers on the forum, though not many. Have they tried Nation yet? I suspect they'd like that.

I hope you'll stay and join us in our discussions and silly games on the forum.

Oct 29, 2010
That is a lovely story and reminds me of my younger days when I was first introduced to the Pratchett.

I was bought the Carpet People and loved it so much that I must have read it ten times (I have a vague recollection of trying to write a sequel as a ten year old lad! o_O). I soon moved on to Truckers, Diggers and Wings which was the most epic series I had read as a child!

Here I stopped reading Terry for a few years until my mum bought me two books to read on a holiday to Portugal. Those two books were Colour of Magic and Pyramids.

I read the line, “He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards." and was have been hooked on the Discworld novels since.
:laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
shawbizzle said:
Thanks ShadowNinjaCat!

Tonyblack - I read them not so long ago, did the Thing remind you of the talking cube in Thud?
Yeah - although in some ways I think the Thing is more like the toad in the Tiffany books. It's there to explain what's going on and to move the story along. :)

Thordoc

Lance-Constable
Nov 1, 2010
Australia
Yay, More young readers. seriously good work there Pauper Poet.

I'm starting the same process with my 5year old daughter. she doesn't quite get it just yet, but she loves the voices I do for the Nac Mac Feegles. I try to do a slightly different one for each of them (for some reason sean connery for william the gonnagle, and billy connolly for big yan) thats where my ability runs out :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter