Favourite Quote?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

theoldlibrarian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 30, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
What is your favorite quote from the Discworld novels?

Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off.
Terry Pratchett, "Small Gods" (1992)

I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.
Terry Pratchett

A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read.
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

AM

Constable
Oct 22, 2009
Sweden
There are so many of them but here are a few

"Romancin´ is varrae important ye ken. Basically it´s a way the boy can get close to the girl wi´out her attackin´him and scratchin´his eyes oot."
Terry Pratchett, Wintersmith

"The creator had a lot of remarkably good ideas when he put the world together but making it understandable hadn´t been one of them"
Terry Pratchett, I think it is from The colour of magic

"But here is some advice, boy. Don´t out your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That´s why they are called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes" Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

The first one's not strictly a Discworld quote, but as a gamer it sort of appeals to me. :laugh:

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

Terry Pratchett - alt.fan.pratchett (30 May 1998)

Look, that's why there's rules, understand? So that you think before you break 'em.

Terry Pratchett - Thief of Time

Sam Vimes could parallel process. Most husbands can. They learn to follow their own line of thought while at the same time listening to what their wives say. And the listening is important, because at any time they could be challenged and must be ready to quote the last sentence in full. A vital additional skill is being able to scan the dialogue for telltale phrases such as "and they can deliver it tomorrow" or "so I've invited them for dinner?" or "they can do it in blue, really quite cheaply."

Terry Pratchett - The Fifth Elephant

People who didn't need people needed people around to know that they were the kind of people who didn't need people.

Terry Pratchett - Maskerade

lyn

Lance-Constable
Oct 12, 2009
Melbourne Australia
'Lu-Tze looked into those eyes. After 800 years you learn how to read people. And Susan was a story that went back a very long way. She probably even knew about Rule One, and didn't care.'
Thief of Time

User Menu

Newsletter