favourite quotes

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
chris.ph said:
get away from her you bitch from alien2
And The Vicar of Dibbley.

As for the other thing.... :rolleyes:

You'll just have to get your kicks from inappropriate scratching! :laugh:

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
Tonyblack said:
They have those type of toilets in the Netherlands as well. There's a sort of ledge where... things sit out of the water until you flush. Very odd indeed. :laugh:
Oh yes. I'm sorry to say I remember those well. :eek: I want to say it was the same in France - but it could be just an overall, international whirlwind of bad bathroom experiences blending. o_O

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Catch-up said:
Tonyblack said:
They have those type of toilets in the Netherlands as well. There's a sort of ledge where... things sit out of the water until you flush. Very odd indeed. :laugh:
Oh yes. I'm sorry to say I remember those well. :eek: I want to say it was the same in France - but it could be just an overall, international whirlwind of bad bathroom experiences blending. o_O
Of course there's always the squat toilet that they have in France and other places... :eek:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Tonyblack said:
Of course there's always the squat toilet that they have in France and other places... :eek:
I looked at those when we were in Japan, but I have to say... I just don't get it :oops: They're the sort of thing I would rather try out if I don't then have to get myself home in damp trousers :eek:

Fortunately they have a love affair with fancy toilets - music & scented sprays coming out of the armrest! Tried pressing the music button in a public toilet once, but it was really loud & went on for ages :oops:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Most 'fragrant' squat toilet ever (with ceramics) was in Heraklion Bus Station (Crete) - it was market day and much raki had flowed so as I 'had to' I did - else my kidneys would've burst... :cool:

Most fragrant 'indoors' toilet ever (without ceramics) was in Namanga, Kenya - a 'long drop' hole in the ground (sort of like Granny Weatherwax has except they'd forgotten to move the 'little hut' around for like 2 years so it wasn't a long drop so much as a slight bump on the ground... o_O ) I wouldn't have minded so much but the cockroaches and hunter spiders were so bloody rude and kept staring at me... :eek:

I had expected more de luxe facilities as this was next door to a rather bijou roundhouse drinking den that some local wag had dubbed The Namanga Hilton - lovely sign it had - bit of cardboard with felt-tip lettering that just oozed style. We don't know we're born in the West really :oops:

Oh yeah - quotes
Spaceballs the Movie...

Dark Helmet - What's the matter Colonel Sanders? Chicken?

Visual - bumper sticker on Lone Star's Winnebago - I :love: Uranus

In desert - Lone Star/Mog - Water Water! Dot Matrix (robot) - Oil! Oil! Princess Whatevershewascalled - Room Service! Room Service!

And many more...... I :love: Mel Brooks :laugh: [/i]

My favourite quotes.

"Robin Hood steals money from my pocket forcing me to hurt the public, and they love him for it?" scribe nods, Sheriff flings wine at him. "Cancel kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings. And call of Christmas!"

Robin Hood: Prince of Theives.

The whole Gateaux from the Chateaux episode of Allo Allo. Kudos Dotsie for mentioning that!

Almost anything Ronnie Barker has written, he was a genius...

And of course:

"Don't be stupid Gytha Ogg, Witches don't know the meaning of the word failure!"

"Esme?"

"What?"

"It means lack of success!"

Dec 15, 2008
Norway
Best quote ever, from Life of Brian

PILATE:
I will not have my fwiends widiculed by the common soldiewy. Anybody else feel like a little... giggle... when I mention my fwiend... Biggus...
GUARD #1:
[chuckling]
PILATE:
...Dickus?

:laugh:
Yeah, yeah I know it's not the most sophisticated, but it always makes me laugh out loud...

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Yep WA - Life of Brian is chock full of goodies. :laugh:

I think the most memorable one though is when Brian begins to acquire some followers and ends up in bed with the lady freedom-fighter? He wakes up and pulls the curtain at the window and appears starkers before his fan club who then start to cheer him etc - Mum (Terry Jones) get all cross with the racket and comes out with the ultimate put down for any aspiring Son of God...

"He's NOT the Messiah - he's a very naughty boy!" :twisted:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I'm working with students so all the life of brian quotes are fresh once more! They think I'm a comedic genius :laugh:

Dec 15, 2008
Norway
And of course there's also plenty in The holy grail, like this one
"King Arthur: [after Arthur's cut off both of the Black Knight's arms] Look, you stupid Bastard. You've got no arms left.
Black Knight: Yes I have.
King Arthur: *Look*!
Black Knight: It's just a flesh wound." :laugh:

I can also name the classics like
"Well, do you feel lucky...punk?" Dirty Harry

"I'll be back" (said with strong accent) The Terminator

" Jippi kayeah motherfucker!!!" Die Hard

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" Gone with the wind

"Houston, we have a problem" Apollo 13

Batty

Sergeant
Feb 17, 2009
East Anglia
"I hate you, Butler"! Blakey from On The Buses. Does it show my age?

Expect the Unexpected - Terrahawks.

Waily; Waily - Wee Free Men!
OOK! (and EEK!) - The Librarian...

Zephyr

Lance-Corporal
Aug 29, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Oh, I have so many....but most are from television, rather than movies.

The one that springs to mind first is from Futurama - "Fry and the Slurm Factory". When I heard this, I laughed so hard Slurm came out of my nose.

Professor Hubert Farnsworth: Who are those horrible orange creatures over there?
Glurmo: Why, those are the Grunka-Lunkas. They work here in the Slurm factory.
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: Tell them I hate them.

I'm not a religious man, but if I were I'd pray like this...

"Crom! I've never prayed to you before, I have no tongue for it. No-one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad, why we fought or how we died... All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what matters, that's what's important... Battle pleases you Crom, so grant me one request. Grant me revenge!... And if you do not listen, then THE HELL WITH YOU!"

From Conan the Barbarian, one of only three highlights in the Governator's career, the others being The Terminator and Terminator 2.

Firefly just contains entirely too many wonderful quotes to not end up posting a couple of pages worth of them, so from Serenity...

" [As Serenity begins a fiery dive into atmosphere, a panel on the bow breaks off, flying over the cockpit's viewport]
Mal: What was that?
Wash: Did you see that?
Mal: Was that the primary buffer panel?
Wash: It did seem to resemble—
Mal: Did the primary buffer panel just fall off my gorram ship for no apparent reason?
[Serenity shudders.]
Wash: Looks like.
Mal: I thought Kaylee just checked the entry couplings. I have a very clear memory of it!
Wash: Yeah well, if she doesn't give us some extra flow from the engine room to offset the burn-through, this landing is going to get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define interesting!
Wash: [deadpan] "Oh god, oh god, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: [on the ship intercom] This is the captain, we have a lil' problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight…turbulence, and then…explode. [to Wash] Can you shave the vector?
Wash: I'm doing it! It's not enough.
Mal: Just get us on the ground!
Wash: That part will happen pretty definitely. "

User Menu

Newsletter